Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Here's the progress on that still life so far. Just lots of rendering and refining; it's not quite done, all the major elements are in place, but I've been working on it all day so I'm gonna wait until tomorrow and come back with fresh eyes and fix whatever needs fixed, then call it done. I think it's turning out pretty well though, lots of improvement over my last still life with the apples and stuff, starting to see much more subtle things going on with the colors and surfaces.
    Last edited by Andantonius; March 26th, 2011 at 11:26 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Here's the final for the still life! Gone in and tweaked a few things, cleaned up some of the cloth and flowers, and put on final adjustments and effects to make it shiny and delicious. This one was a lot of fun to do and a great learning experience, I think it's a big step forward in my understanding of light and color as well, not to mention different textures and surfaces. This will definitely become a regular exercise when I have the inclination and time, so much to learn from it, and since you're working from observation all the answers are you in front of you, all you have to do is find them.

And for your potential viewing pleasure, here are some closeups at almost-full res: [Link]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 1,033 Posts
    The Shell is my favorite.

Thanks
    Thanks, Alex! Glad ya dig, I was pretty happy with the shell.

And here's today's nonsense, a new variety of composition study! Reverse engineering, which is taking a well composed piece, reducing it to just abstract shapes, and then finding your own subject matter out of the abstraction. It's great practice cause it trains you to go from abstract thumbnails to final work, which is essential to composing.

I took it to the extreme as far as abstraction goes on this one, me and my homedog Carl set up a deal where he abstracted 10 pieces and sent them to me, and I abstracted 10 and sent them to him, so I had no idea what this piece originally was when I was working on it, haha. Was quite surprised to find that my weird surreal doorway to oblivion was in reality a classy man in a business suit. More of these are definitely on the way, haha.

Thanks
    Here's the beginning of a big project in figure drawing. We're just now finishing up with the skeleton and will be moving on to muscles on Thursday.

The project will be to create our ideal figures; one with proportions and body types we think are typical and credible, and two exaggerated to an extreme. In the end we'll have front, side, and back views of fully fleshed characters, as well as some poses of them in action trying to understand their weight and balance.

This set is my first pass at the typical figures, and needs some adjustments in the proportions to get it more accurate. I'm thinking my exaggerated extremes might be a short, stumpy couple and an uber muscular couple. Should be lots of fun!

Thanks
    Progress on mr. cast drawing! This is the block-in stage worked up to near-completion, thinking abstractly and mapping out the drawing with light and dark shapes plus a few key landmarks. The goal here is total accuracy, so lots of careful observation and double checking of shapes going on. It's probably about 20 hours in right now, and will need another good 60 or 80 to get to full completion over the next couple months.

Thanks
    Here's another reverse engineering composition study. The original Sargent was blurred, flipped and inverted, which threw me for a trip when I finally looked at the original image, haha. I'm pretty happy with where the composition study went though, seeing the dark blobs as a mass of figures rather than trying to find identifiable shapes in it was a good step forwards I think.

Thanks
    Progress on figure homework, corrected proportions, made a better, more form-based pelvis, and added side and back views! Now for the exaggerated couples, then it's on to posing and muscles and all that rot! Woohoo!

Thanks
    hey nice sketchbook you got going here, I like your color studies a lot. and you've got some pretty slick paintings as well. however I'd recommend you keep working on your anatomy, pick up books from either bridgman or loomis and do some studies from there, they will help out immensely. well keep up the good work and don't stop doing what your doing.
    To live is to create, to create is to live. Without art and music, I do not know how I would get by in my day to day life.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=115997

Thanks
    Thanks a bunch, thesadpencil! And yup, totally agree, gotta keep pushing my anatomy and draftsmanship skills. Will do!

And speaking of anatomy and draftsmanship, here's just that! A leg study I did today to supplement the stuff we've been learning in Figure class. We just covered leg muscles, so I wanted to go over them all slow motion, observing and writing down every origin and insertion to be sure it gets ingrained in my sub-cranium. Then some good ol' Bridgman studies on the right to take it out of the realm of anatomical plates and in to the world of 3D space and form, for drawing ease. Need to do moooaarrrrr.

Thanks
    Looking great Jon. That still life study is one of the best paintings I've seen from you yet. You've raised the bar for yourself and now you gotta hit it more and more. Keep on rock'n!

Thanks
    Thanks, Josh! I'll do my best to keep pushin' it on higher. : )

And for today, here's my latest dabblings with oil, attempting yet another portrait with the Zorn palette, and this time trying to emulate Fechin's way of markmaking. I think color-wise it's getting much better, but still a long ways to go, and slowly but surely my drawing problems are improving. And working with goopy, squishy, blendy oil paint is always fun, haha.

Later this week I'll update this, since we're going to be going back in to it with three additional colors added to the palette, so we'll see if the colors can be bumped to the next level and closer to full white light.

Thanks
    Here's another composition study done a while back, I didn't do any post-worthy drawing today, just some analysis things and a WIP comic which might get posted in the future when it's finished.

So, in the meantime enjoy the delicious colors and glorious abstract patterns of the ever-awesome N.C. Wyeth, and hopefully my somewhat intelligent observations of them.

Thanks
    Here's a quick-ish oil painting done today, which is a refined-ish color study of a piece by Steven Assael. The original piece was brought up in our head painting class last week and it absolutely blew my mind, the concept behind it is white light theory, which is that white light has a full spectrum of color in it that will play across surfaces and create a ton of color variation.

So though my piece is nowhere near as good as his, this is really exciting to me cause the lack of the white light theory is what made me dislike traditional work pre-school, cause everything I saw was just dull and local colored, it lacked the light and life I saw in digital stuff. It's really exciting to find that digital stuff is all rooted in traditional work that's been around forever, and it can be achieved without any color dodging.

Woohoo! Oil is teh bomb.

edit- the attachment is appearing as a broken jpeg on my screen, even after 3 uploads. I have no idea why and don't have time to fiddle with it right now, so if you can't see it check it out on my blog: [Link]
    Last edited by Andantonius; April 6th, 2011 at 10:47 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 1,033 Posts
    broken attachment manager is broken. Just walked over a bit ago and looked at the drying painting, dude it came a long way! swag.

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast