Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Here's a little snippet (I know, enough with the snippets gosh), of another school project, a card illustration for something you probably know, but I can't say what until Friday at which time I'll post the whole thing.

This is still pretty WIP, needs a lot more polish, but I think it's gonna end up being one of my better illustrations.

And I promise I'll stop posting in snippets soon, it's just that we're working on all our finals in TAD now which are huge projects that we've been working on for months, so I don't have as much small-but-finished stuff to post. So *hopefully* I'll have some big and awesome images to post in the coming weeks when they're all finished, and then it will be break, and I will actually get some sleep.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    No update yesterday because of 20 hour work day woohoo. To make up for it, two paintings today!

Here's a collaboration between Carl Knox and I for the Beauty and Nightmares competition over on CA, and it conveniently doubled as an assignment for Painting class. The assignment was basically to do a Diptych (Two separate paintings that go together) with the theme of Beauty and Nightmares.

It was quite the long haul, this things probably gotten 40 hours of work poured in to it, if not more. It was quite the challenge to plan and collaborate two pieces and get the design working separately and as a whole, all while trying to maintain a consistent style between both images. Learned a ton in the process though, and that's the main thing.

Hope ya dig it! And before anyone asks, no this was not inspired by PotC, we started this two months ago so curse them for making this idea mainstream before the contest deadline. xP

Have a good one!

Thanks
    Here's the final and clean sets of characters for our final figure project. The first two are the ideal couple, the next an exaggeratedly dumpy couple, and lastly an exaggeratedly muscular couple. Hopefully I'll have some time to make some nice posed drawings to go along with these to submit for the final project, but for now these will meet the requirements of the assignment. Had a lot of fun with these and learned a lot about how to figure out which muscles are overlapping which.

Thanks
    Good anatomy) Just yesterday thinked about how the skeleton of thick people is arranged. By the way your latest works is awesome, you worked hard)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,543 Times in 1,033 Posts
    these came out really nice jon!

Thanks
    n1frit- Thanks very much! Though actually the skeletons of my chubby figures aren't realistically accurate, fat and muscle build up pretty independently of the skeleton so a larger person's skeleton will pretty much be the same as anyone else's. That's why skeletons are the best place to start when learning anatomy, cause they will rarely have any major differences between individuals.

Alex- Thanks, man! Glad ya dig 'em! : )

--

Here's the final illustration of the snippet I posted a couple days ago! It's for a special TAD assignment, to create an illustration for the WoW TCG, based on one of three scenarios that were provided in the brief.

This particular one is of a Draenei Priest striking down a Flesh Giant in Icecrown. I got a lot of fanjoy out of this since my main for quite a while was just like this, haha. But what's really exciting is that the senior AD at Blizzard is coming in next week to review all the pieces, so I'm excited (and somewhat terrified) to hear what he'll say. It's an awesome opportunity either way though, and I had a blast doing it. It's gotten me super excited for next semester as well, when we're getting in to our majors and will start worldbuilding!

So yeah, hope ya dig it, have a good one!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,154 Posts
    jon thats sooo great!!! its breathtaking man
    great work!
    btw, you made a decision yet for next semester? painting and drawing or entertainment 2D?
    keep it up my homie

Thanks
    That is a sweet TAD assignment illustration. I dig the burning flesh on the legs.

Thanks
    Ryan- Thanks bro! Glad ya like it! And I'm probably sticking with E2D and gonna take some of the D&P classes as electives. Should be fun!

TheKuu- Thanks a bunch!

--

Here's today's shenanigans, making some more interesting stuff to go along with those figure couples I posted a couple days ago. I started with the rendered ideal male dude, and I wanted to do one like that for all 6 characters, but I think it'll take too long to be able to turn it in on time, so I'm gonna do more gesture sheets like the second image for the other ones and maybe do some rendered versions if there's time. I think I made some good progress on learning how to wedge forms with these though, feeling much more confident about things.

And then the bird lady is just a random in-between-things sketch that I kinda liked.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,154 Posts
    hahaha i love those comments! woo
    and super nice composition on that last sketch, and shapes are dope also!
    keep it up brah!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 543 Posts
    beautiful work mate, your illustration work is starting to shape in nicely! good luck with tad and keep up the sweets!

Thanks
    Posts #212 is awesome.
    Reminds me of the song Schandmaul - Das Seemannsgrab
    It's actually a german song. Perhaps search for englisch lyric translation if you like the melody

Keep going dude.

Thanks
    Nice stuff!
    Yours sincerely,
    Fniss

My sketchbook

My Portfolio

Thanks
    Ryan- Haha, thanks dude! Glad you like em!
    Sickbrush- Thanks a ton!
    Valoo- Thanks! And cool song, I like the bit of folk-y vibe it's got.
    Fniss- Thank ya!

--

To finish off our final figure assignment, here's the gesture drawings for my exaggerated couples! These were absurd amounts of fun to do, and I learned a lot from them, finally starting to feel like I'm getting a handle on all the anatomy and form, but still need to keep working proportions and subtleties.

In other news, one week of class left!

Thanks
    THe gesture studies crack me up. Great work.

Thanks
    Mr.Scribbles- Thanks very much!

--

Here's some progress on my Dreamtellers piece, our final project for Composition 2. I decided to have a gander at a new technique with this one, starting in watercolor and using that as far as it'll take me and then finishing it off digitally. Our teacher comments a lot on how sterile digital markmaking can be, and ultimately I agree, so though this isn't much of a watercolor painting it should provide some nice color and texture for the final image! I plan to work with multiply and screen layers to get the values and colors where I want them, and ideally there will be no opaque painting so it'll stay looking pretty traditional. Should be fun!

I had a blast messing around with the watercolors too, this was my first real attempt at making a painting with them, and I love some the effects they produce. Definitely gonna keep practicing with them and see if I can gain some Sargent / Homer / Dulac powers.

Thanks
    such awesome work and improvement!
    aaa I'm so jelly you're in school; is seems like so much fun!
    I hope I'll get to go to an art school one day ; u;

keep up the work! can't waiiit to see more, I lovelovelove your stuff.
    -subs-

Thanks
    Very nice studies with skeletons... and your painting skills are looking very good

Thanks
    Hey man, I dig your sketchbook! that TAD course looks really good and challenging!

Anyway, that self portrait is sweet! What brushes did you use for that square based mark making you got going on?

I just started a sketchbook as well, but it doesn't seem as well structured as yours.. Maybe because I just slapped everything I've done in the past 6 months.. lol. Check it out if you have the time

Thanks
    Vella C Raptor- Thanks a bunch! And yeah, art school's a lot of fun (and work), so keep pushing yourself in the direction you want to go and you'll get there if you've got enough motivation. : )

BRBOTNIK- Thanks very much!

Carlos-will- Thank ya muchly! For the self portrait, I mostly used a custom bristle-y brush made out of a small portion of a granite texture, just something roundish with some grain and holes around the edges will do the trick just fine and you can get some nice painterly effects. Overall brushes are just a matter of experimenting around until you find something you like.
    And very cool! I had a look through your SB, some very nice stuff going on there! It's superlate now, but I'll head over there and drop some comments when I can. Keep a-posting!

--

Here's the final for the Dreamtellers piece, took the watercolor from yesterday and finished it off with Painter. Overall it was a really fun technique to mess around with, having the watercolor texture underneath the whole thing really adds a nice feeling, and I pretty much only painted with transparent layers so all the texture was preserved.

Surprisingly, Painter 12's new Real Watercolors ended up being very useful for this. I always kinda dismissed Painter's real brushes as gimmicky and stuck the more standard ones, but I think combined with paper textures they're starting to have some serious potential for natural looking markmaking. It's still nowhere near the power of real watercolor, but it could be quite useful for making digital pieces feel less sterile and perfect, definitely something I'm gonna explore.

Thanks
    Those gestures with text are epic!

Thanks
    I think you could push those jade greens a bit more in painter but it came out good jon! now do another.

Thanks
    .:WoLf:.- Thanks very much!

Axle- Thanks, man! I'll make a few tweaks before turning in the final so I'll see about pushing the green, thanks bro!

--

Here's the progress so far on my Nemo comic. This is page 2 of 4, but I probably won't be posting the other ones since they changed the assignment to only require one page to be taken to final and the others are just crapsketches.

Just gotta work out the color on this one and try to get it looking finished and spiffy, playing around with some flat storybook coloring and liking the results so far.

Thanks
    Didn't get too much drawing done today, but here's a quick figure drawing from ref. Had some fun with this one, trying to get some economy in my brush strokes, gonna need a lot of work, hehe. But I think it came out pretty good, gonna try and do some more stuff along these lines, I need to do less zillion hour paintings and more quick studies.

Thanks
    Plugged in another 7 hours on this baby today and got his raised arm and pec pretty much finished, tone smoothed out and transitions going. Some of it is a little too hard-edged yet, but that got fixed and I just didn't have time to photograph the latest version.

I think the rest of it will go faster now that I've gotten used to it, and discovered that smooth tone is much easier with hard charcoal that doesn't fill in as quickly, so over this next week I'm gonna be polishing the whole cast like that shoulder and hopefully in another 10-20 hours this thing'll be dooooone. Having a ton of fun with it still though, this is the fun part, not so much because of the work itself but because this is when it starts actually looking real. Excite!

Thanks
    BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM! Good wark jonny boy.

Thanks
    nice sketchbook.. but i would work on the anatomy .. the shins are a little too straight they are rather curved
    my Sketchbook plz help me become a better artist !

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=153575

Thanks
    Alex- Big badda boom! Thanks d00d!

MarcSampson- Thanks very much! And yeah, I agree, gonna definitely hit those figure studies hard in the next few months.

--

Here's some sketchbook shenanigans. Figure doodles, gestures, turnarounds, naga guys, movement studies, a weird ice castle thing, and some Zerg as a result of playing SC2 today.

Not much to report otherwise, took my first day off in a long time today so that was pretty fun. Looking forward to summer break, planning to do a bunch of bridgman studies, as well as some animal and environment studies. The goal for this summer is to try and get my drawing skills at a similar level as my painting skills, we'll see how that goes.

Thanks
    Here's an hour-ish figure done today, again trying to push some economy in to my brushwork as well as exploring some new digital markmaking. I actually quite like how a lot of it came out and think with some more experimenting this could lead to some nice painterlyness in my more finished work, gonna mess around with it for sure.

Thanks to vishstudio for the great ref!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Andantonius For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Here's my final page for the Little Nemo comic assignment for visual narrative class. The assignment got changed so that only one page would be taken to final, but regardless I'm still pretty happy with how it all turned out.

If you want to read the whole thing, check it out on mah blog: [Link]

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast