Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Moooore portraits! This one's a bit rushed as we had an event happening at the pod on Saturday, which is usually when I do these, so I had to jumble this together after class on Friday, haha.

I still need to work on my facial construction, there's some wonkiness going on in all of these, but I'm getting more comfortable with oils. This will be our last monochromatic portrait as well, as on Wednesday our glorious teacher Ron Lemen is going to take us in to the wonderful world of the Zorn palette, which is titanium white, yellow ochre, cad red light, and ivory black. It's a cool palette, well actually a warm one, but it is cool in the too-cool-for-school sense because the actual cool colors are derived simply from neutralizing the warm colors. Amidst all the hot yellows, reds, and oranges you get out of the cadmium and ochre, dulling them down will give you relative blues, greens, and purples, so you can pretty much get a full color spectrum out of just two colors plus black and white. It's a pretty rad bit of color theory, and should look awesome for portraiture. I am excite!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Here's an update on one of those plein-air pieces from a while back. We're focusing on color variation in Painting class, making subtle color shifts in areas of the same value to increase the feeling of light in the piece. It's a great study, and really adds a huge amount once you can start to see it, painting from life definitely helps.

This isn't quite finished yet, it still needs some clean-up of edges, some sloppy strokes need correcting, and some of the areas aren't reading well spacially, but I think it's coming along nicely.

Thanks
    More figure studies. Tried to push this one a little further, so instead of just swiveling the figure around on the Y axis I tried to get it as if the camera was flying up and over the figure. Needless to say, it was quite the challenge and will definitely need some more practice to get right, haha.

Thanks
    Great updates Jon. Love the color variation in the enviro study. The water has a bit of an impressionist feel. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Thanks, Josh! Glad ya dig! It's been a fun process, and it's interesting that you got an impressionist feel, I feel like I'm riding a delicate line with going overboard with the color variation, haha.

And speaking of, here's some more work on it. cleaning stuff up and trying to get the space to read better. I'm really starting to like this piece, with a little more time I think It'll be a pretty fun little environment.

Thanks
    More composition studies, this one of the ever-awesome N.C. Wyeth. These are so good to do, it really helps understand how masters arrange their lights and darks to make interesting shapes and patterns, what tricks they use to add or remove depth, how they handle their color for mood, and a whole host of other things.

If you've only got an hour a day to work on art, it would be wise to spend half of it doing these, as everything in art will ultimately fall second to composition. A well drawn piece with perfect perspective and anatomically correct figures and a great story behind it will never be able to compete with a well composed piece, no matter how technically well done it is.

Enjoy your weekend, and spring break for those of you who are participating in spring break this week!

Thanks
    I really like your observations that go with your studies, it helps me as much as you.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 1,033 Posts
    lolwut.?
    Last edited by Alex Konstad; March 13th, 2011 at 12:59 AM.

Thanks
    @Demotyme - Thanks, and that's good to hear! Always nice when things are useful for multiple people. : )

@Metal Fingers- Haha, thanks bro. That's an interesting and impactful analogy. Unless it's not an analogy, in which case who told you?

Moving swiftly along, here's a project I started on today, which is the first day of spring break, woot! This is an attempt at constructing a figure from imagination, gonna see how realistic of a final rendering I can get out of it. More details on the process so far on my blog.

Need to go back in and double check proportions and forms, get the original gesture back in, then its on to rendersville!
    Last edited by Andantonius; March 13th, 2011 at 01:32 AM.

Thanks
    watch the collar bone area on him, graceful s curves. Love it Jon, see you soon old boy.

Thanks
    Hot damn!
    Explanations for the process too, sweeeet

The muscles are so well defined, great work
    "Dang girl, if you weren't a figment of my imagination I'd wanna have yo baby."
    - Adventure Time, Jake

"All the thoughts of a turtle are turtle. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks
    @Metal Fingers - Thanks, Alex! And good catch, graceful S curvular clavicles he shall have!

@Lunatic Hermit- Thanks very much! Glad you like the process description. : )

Here's some more work on it, still got a looong ways to go, but I think it's progressing nicely and should end being a nice final piece. The legs are pretty crappy right now, but with some analysis and reference they should work. Just gonna need lots more time!

And again, a description of the process here can be found on my blog.

Keep it real, folks!

Thanks
    put that great trocanter in there on the hip, big subcutaneous point that really locks that hip in there. His right ocular socket looks a bit shallow as well. Also on the right clavicle, they stop right at the collar bone, the ridge running over his traps are right kind of where the traps meet the deltoids and that insertion area. This looks like great fun though, might have to try it out when I get to BAUSTIN.

Thanks
    Thanks for the tips, Axel! I shall investigate and correct accordingly. And it is a ton of fun, imaagiinnaattioooonnnn. And when are you getting to baustin anyways? Next week? Don't make me come get you, cause I'll show up with a ninja pencil and scribble all over your cast drawing.

[insert transition from weirdness to srs art bsns]

Here's a paintsketch I did today; something of an experiment for me, trying to find a fun way to just quickly doodle out an image and get a fairly interesting final result. This is only about 1.5 hours of work, which is obvious by how crap the drawing is, but I think it's a fun way to get out ideas and once I start getting some unconscious competence with draftsmanship skills they might actually look somewhat good. Funtimes! Also a composition study to bring the average quality of this post from D- to C. xD

Will continue on mr. constructive figure drawing guy dude man soon, just needed to get out some just-for-fun art after a failed portrait this afternoon. : P

Have a good one, homebros. Don't get too drunk if you're Miami-ing it up.
    Last edited by Andantonius; March 15th, 2011 at 12:37 AM.

Thanks
    Another composition study, this one of the piece Orient Wizard by one of my personal heroes Wei Wang. His handling of color as well as composition is really breathtaking, not to mention he does totally kick-ass fantasy and Warcraft art. If you haven't seen his work, definitely check it out: [Link]

This one was a lot of fun to do, and I got really involved noodling out all the subtle color which is what really gets me going in his work, apart from the cool subject matter and accomplished draftsmanship.

You can probably see the influence from this piece in yesterday's little paintsketch, though mine most certainly can't compare, haha.

Got something fun planned to post for tomorrow too! Something that needs a little... compressing? *crappy hint*
    But yeah, it should be fun. In the mean time, go drool over Wei Wang's awesome art.

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast