Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    I skipped updating yesterday in order for a double whammy today. Sooo here's a speedpainting / paintsketch thingy done yesterday based on Katy Perry's music video from E.T.
    I'm not a big fan of hers, but there were some really badass visuals in this particular video, there's some really great compositions and color palettes going on that I thought would be fun to explore.

As for the double whammy, here's a recording of the painting in process! In case you feel like watching- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXeQMLgX4AY

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Here's a 40 minute pastel figure drawing I did today just to relax and have some fun. It's been a while since I did a figure drawing just for the sake of making a pretty drawing and not trying to learn form and color and lighting and anatomy and all that business, but all that learning has definitely helped my observational drawing, cause I think this is a lot more successful than any of the drawings I did in this technique last semester. I was also messing around with color for the heck of it, seeing if I could get the figure to feel fleshy with the colors I have.

Thanks
    The latest update on mr. cast drawing! This step was about establishing the major value shapes to be sure everything is in the right spot before moving on to the finishing. We had to simplify the image down to 5 basic values and get it looking as close to reality as possible, which proved to be quite challenging due to such subtle changes as well as the limitations with charcoal.

The next step will be the last, and longest, leg of the race: finishing. Getting in to the nitty gritty and making every gradation, transition, value, and piece of tone as smooth and perfect and close to reality as is humanly possible, at which point it shall be called done! So far it's about a 30 hour drawing, and it'll probably need another 30-40 to get to the highest level of finish, and I've got five and a half weeks left to finish it. Better get crackin!

Thanks
    That life drawing with the women on 3-4 posts back has such a great skin palette!! And the focus is exactly where it needs to be.

The latest cast drawing is coming along, keep it up and finish that bastard.

Glad to see you're working hard, and hitting all your mediums. Keep it up!
    ...the imperfections make it interesting...

[sketchbook] [deviantart]

Thanks
    Thanks, Dope Fiend! 'Tis much appreciated! Will keep a-rolling!

Here's a couple sketches for our final Visual Narrative project, which is a 4-page comic based off of Winsor McKay's comic strip Little Nemo in Slumberland.

I've got my story all written out so it's time to get working on all the character designs and start on the final pages. Should be a lot of fun!

Thanks
    Here's a couple more character sketches for my Little Nemo project; the pirate captain and the evil monster demon guy.

I started thumbnailing it out today, should be a lot of fun to work on! And quite challenging, as I've never done a comic before.

Thanks
    Here's the next installment for thems exaggerated figures. In contrast to the short and dumpy couple, here's the tall and disgustingly ripped couple. I might still tweak the proportions on them, but I think they'll be pretty fun to pose when I get to the gesture part of the assignment.

Thanks
    Good effort on that cast drawing; they aint easy but they are so good for your control of tone

Thanks
    FUSHANDCHUPS- Thanks very much! Totally agree, it's a great exercise to practice patience and control, both with the medium and the image itself. And it's quite relaxing to do too, haha.

Aaand here's a few thumbnails for our final assignment in Composition class. The theme is Dreamtellers, and beyond that we're pretty much are free to do whatever. Though despite that it's actually pretty hard to come up with a suitable idea as it's hard to really convey dreams without having a sleeping person in there. Not sure if any of these will make it to final or not, but they're a start.

Thanks
    Here's another oil portrait, this assignment was to learn to paint darker skin tones, as they reflect light differently and will end up having different color variations than lighter skins.

Unfortunately due to all our other homework I didn't have a lot of time to invest in this, it's about 3 or 4 hours of work total, only 2 of which was painting. I experimented a bit with letting the shadow side of the face merge with the background, but didn't quite pull it off, it'll need some more experimenting, and the value will probably have to be lighter to pull it off realistically. Lots of fun overall though, gotta love dem oils!

Thanks
    Here's some figure work from today, some gestures and a refined-ish figure, all from observation. I'm feeling pretty good about these for the most part, the fleshed figure was the first drawing I've done where I really felt like I understood what was going on, notably in the arms and legs.

We had our last day studying muscles in Figure class today, and it seems like everything's starting to click. We're gonna be studying motion next, so hopefully these figures'll start to take on some life! And then this semester will be over, which is horrifying cause I'm pretty sure it just started yesterday, hah.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Andantonius For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Here's the rest of the views for my muscular couple, so now all that's left for this final assignment is to add muscles to the average figures, then do posed drawings of all of them and clean this all up so it's presentable. Funtimes!

Thanks
    Here's the last set of sheets for our final figure assignment, the ideal or typical couple. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out, they'll still need some tweaking and cleaning up, but some gestures for them are gonna come first.

Thanks
    Really nice so far. Your skeleton/build/something studies are really fun to look at. I think on the last page though the proportions are a bit off. The man's head is too large while the woman's shoulders aren't wide enough compared to her head. The anatomy is supposed to be exaggerated in them, sure, but the relation of the shoulders to her head still looks weird to me.
    Anyway, a lot of improvement in such a short time. Very inspiring, I hope you keep practising .

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 706 Posts
    Nice sketchbook! I like your latest updates, especially the perry speedpainting up there and the figure study following it.

Your cast seems to need some more work, especially the shadow areas around the pelvis and armpit have values that are a bit too dark and shapes with too hard edges compared to the photo. There's a subtle bouncelight in those areas too that aren't there in your work.
    You could keep polishing it, but since you've given it a lot of time already I'd suggest you take some time analyzing your work and comparing it to the photo, noting your values, your lights and your darks, your shapes and their edges (hard, soft) transition between shapes (for instance, the subtle shadows in the abdomen area). Note what you have learned so far, note what you didn't quite get done right, note what you didn't understand and note what you know needs to be done to make it better.

Instead of working it another 30 hours I'd say bring this knowledge to your next cast. Keep up the hard work!

Thanks
    Saara_- Thanks very much! I'm glad you like 'em! And thanks for the critique, I see what you're saying about the proportions, will give 'em a tweak before cleaning them up!

DefiledVisions- Thanks a ton man, it means a lot! For the cast drawing, you're totally right, though most of that is because it's still WIP and part of the process our teacher (the MindCandyMan himself) is having us use. After getting the drawing accurate by analyzing the shadow shapes, he wants us to establish the whole drawing with 5 flat values in clear shapes, which is where mine is at, and then after that start elaborating on the soft edges, reflected light, transitions in the halftones, and other things of that nature. So yeah, it was set out from the beginning intended to be a 60-80 hour drawing, just gotta keep workin on it. Thanks muchly for the input! : )

--
    Here's some more figure stuff for fun and learning. The first page of torsos and arms is imagined except for flexing biceps guy in the middle, I was trying to work out how to interlock all the muscles of the armpit and outer side of the arm. I think the drawing in the upper right is coming pretty close. The other page is just 2 minute gesture drawings from photos of people jumping, which we spent an hour on in figure class this week, it was pretty fun, hah. Plus two random comp studies of Frank Brangwynn.

Thanks
    Spent all weekend working on stuff I can't post yet, haha. So here's a quick preview of an upcoming piece, a very small portion of the entry Carl Knox and I are doing for the Beauty and Nightmares contest going on. Pretty excited to finish this one up, should be pretty awesome!

Thanks
    Here's a couple quick portraits for head painting class, the goal here was to explore the difference between working high chroma (left) and low chroma (right). Getting a feel for the different effects they both offer.

It was a lot of fun to do, the biggest issue is that my high chroma side became too contrasty and ended up looking uncomfortably colorful, it would've worked much better if the values were kept closer together and form was turned with temperature, so I'm definitely gonna need to give it another try some time.

The low chroma turned out pretty good I think, except some of the light areas are merging together a bit, it needs some darker stuff, but overall I think it works well. The drawing on both is a little off, but they were only an hour each and the focus was on color more than drawing, so learns were had. Fun stuff!

Thanks
    Here's some progress on the last leg of the cast drawing, finishing! Here's where every little transition and change and lump and bump gets defined, with the end goal of complete realism.

Despite being super slow (6 hours to render one pec hah), this is easily the most fun part of the process, just noodling away at it and slowly seeing it come to life. This is where all the hard setup work pays off and it's desert time.

Still needs a lot of work, only the topmost portion has been worked on, and there's a little over-modeling going on that'll need to be subtleified, but I think it's looking good and should be pretty sweet when it's finished.

Thanks
    Here's some more fleshing out on the Dreamtellers piece, fixing poses and finding rhythms and getting everything set in stone. I'm gonna push this a little further as a thumbnail, be sure I've got the poses worked out, and then give the final a try in watercolor and see how it turns out. I've never really used watercolor for a finished painting before, so it might end up just being an underpainting on top of which some digital work can be applied, but it should be a worthy experiment.

Thanks
    Here's another update on our final project for figure class, I'm gonna spend some time and clean up all of the character turnarounds to this level, then do some posed gestures and hopefully one nicely polished one per character to show them off as best as possible. Way excited to start posing these things and making a kick-awesome presentation. The end of semester is nigh, work work work!

Side note: Painter's scratchboard tool is nice, this is the first time I've ever enjoyed digital inking.

Thanks
    Sweet sketchbook Andantonius.
    I really enjoy your traditional work. Keep practicing hard!
    By the way, I also enjoyed the katy perry ET video & I think you quite captured the color palette and mood.

Thanks
    You seem to have some problems with the lower limb of your character. The ankle and the foot are huge part of it - as of now, they aren't realistically able to carry the weight of this kind of character, play with their size a bit. Also, if you take a look at a huge guy like yours, you can see that they have hell of a calf (usually), and shins - tibialis anterior. They need to have them, to maneuvre this kind of weight.

Also think in terms of weight and counterweight all major volumes in the human body are slightly at an angle to one another - this is due to transition of forces throughout. Keep it in mind. This is especially pronounced in lower limb connections - upper thigh to pelvis, thigh to knee, knee to lower leg, lower leg and ankle to foot.

Excuse me if I misspelled something, or sound vague. I'm not used to talking about anatomy in english.
    Never the less, inspiring stuff. Keep it up.
    Last edited by Moonrage; May 27th, 2011 at 01:34 AM.

Thanks
    Moonrage- Thanks a bunch for the crit! You're totally right, and I'll go back and tweak that to be sure it's working right, that's definitely the area I was least satisfied with. Excellent observations! Thanks!

--

Here's some more work on good ol' mr. cast, the result of today's Castravaganza! Did you know that if your station point is 5 feet away from your setup and you walk between the two an average of 3 times per minute, throughout an 8 hour day of cast drawing you'll have walked 2.7 miles? Well, I certainly got in my exercise for the day.

But anyways, this is more polishing and finishing, starting to work my way downwards. The ribcage and stomach areas have been worked on mostly, as well as making the forms in the pecs more subtle. Now all that's left is to render the legs and booty, the stand, clean up all the tone and this baby's done! Only 20 or so more hours to go, yay! Looking forward to seeing this guy completed.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,543 Times in 1,033 Posts
    I'd tell you this was awesome, but your not at the studio so I am going to reverse that statement and say work moar. -4

Thanks
    Canstod- I'd tell you your face was awesome, but I cannot tell a lie.
    Zing!

--

Today's shenanigans. First image is a larger and repainted version of the previous snippet of Carl Knox and I's Beauty and Nightmares piece. This is still only about 30% of the full image, minus the other side of the diptych, so hopefully it'll be pretty spiffy when it's done! Gotta go back in and work on the faces some more, the guy's gaze and expression isn't really working. On it shall truck!

And the second is my waiting-for-painter-to-save-this-huge-file dragon doodle that turned out kinda nice, hah. Probably the best dragon I've ever done, but that's not saying much since I've only done like five in my life.
    Last edited by Andantonius; May 29th, 2011 at 03:47 AM.

Thanks
    Nice sketchbook!!.The guy in #201 is cool but the skeletal structure of his legs & hip bones looks kind of wonky ie his hip bone looks back to front, the thigh bone looks like it curves in rather than out.
    This is a good site for learning this kind of stuff http://sites.google.com/site/djcbriggs/fa
    "You're already DEAD!"
    Princes of the Universe

Thanks
    great to see you are doing studies! Keep 'em up !
    Sketchbook
    www.TomDeVis.com
    I want to create memories, not to-do lists.

Thanks
    i can guess that you put a good amount of time for each of your updates . keep up the good work .
    On And On , I Am Cursed To Live Cursed With Life Until I Have Done What Done What Must Be Done . . . I Am The Man Who Would Not Die .

Thanks
    JamesSimons- Thanks very much! And I agree for sure, gonna have to re-investigate thems legs. Thanks for the link!

TomDeVis- Thanks muchly!

raminafshari- Thanks, man! And yes indeed, puttin in a lot of hours on dat darr homework. 'Tis worth it though. : D

--

Here's a third preview for the Beauty and Nightmares diptych. Yes I know preview 2 was yesterday, but this was all I worked on today shutup!

Anyhoot, this is a teeny snippet of the other side of Carl and I's Beauty & Nightmare diptych. While the other has been all beauty, this one is delving in to the nightmare. Again, this is only like 10% of the piece, so the narrative probably won't be too obvious, but hopefully it is of some interest and isn't going down in your book of, "worst painting teaser snippets of ALL TIME".

Gotta keep workin on these, but they're pretty close to being done, woohoo!

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast