Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanks a bunch, Jamie! All the result of hard work and listening to those wiser than I. : )

Here's some new stuff, my last post of 2010! Hope you all have a happy new years and take 2011 as an opportunity to pursue your dreams and achieve your goals.

The final for the above piece, lamely titled "Born of Passion".
    Attachment 1133469

And an hour-ish figure study.
    Attachment 1133470

I must be getting more artistic, these past few posts are positively saturated with nudity. : P
    *Puts on silly artist chapeau*

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I like a lot what I see here, especially that still life.
    Also, I think that the woman on last post needs just a bit more color and value variations on her upper bod, but the cloth and background are very good.

Thanks
    Thanks a bunch, heix33! I totally agree with your crit too, definitely need to push those subtleties. Thanks!

So, I've recently achieved my goal of drawing every single day, it's just become ingrained in my sooouuulll, so to follow suit I'm going to start updating both my sketchbook thread and my blog every day. I'm gonna start posting more WIP artwork, as well as smaller studies, and of course the big fancy finished pieces when they get done every now and then.

Here's some TAD studies. Just started our second semester, totally excited!!

Thanks
    I didn't even know you were on CA! I'm wingkitsune on DA, I did the anatomy challenge thing you did a while ago. Great work on those studies, keep it up!
    sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

Thanks
    Great studies, I really dig the atmospheric look to your figure studies.

Thanks
    @Vertical Hey Wingkitsune! Good to see ya on here, and thanks a bunch!

@CKLamb Thanks very much! I always love figure studies that balance lost and found edges really well, trying to get some of that in to my work.

Here's a pick-out portrait for head painting class. This will be the third and final one using that technique, then we'll be moving on to opaque paint! There's some info on the technique on my blog.

Happy Sunday!

Thanks
    Great progress Jon. Comp studies are looking solid. The head painting class will be a blast. Can't wait to see what you guys learn from it.

Thanks
    Thanks Josh, I appreciate it! And totally, Head Painting class is gonna blow art education out the water, haha.

For today's arts, here's a master copy of a piece by the great Dean Cornwell, done for an assignment in Painting class!

The main purpose of this was to get the look and feel of traditional brush strokes using digital tools, which is a ton of fun to do. If you're interested in it, I'll be making short tutorials over the next 4 days about how I got the painterly brush strokes in this, which will be posted on my blog. The first one will be posted tomorrow, you can check it out here: [link]

This piece was a bunch of fun to analyze compositionally too, Cornwell's arrangement of shapes and values is really masterful, and the limited color palette is quite powerful. Overall a great learning experience!

Hope ya dig, and have a dandylicious day!

Thanks
    Here's another portrait for head painting class. The assignment took the next step in using oils, so now instead of using just a dark and picking out the lights, we're using a dark and a light paint and mixing them to create the different values, which also creates a different temperature as white will cool off other colors when mixed together.

It was a little more challenging than the pick-out technique, which was essentially drawing with paint, but I'm happy with the results and it should be a ton of fun to explore it further! : )

Thanks
    Not much of an update to show, had a really frustrating day which makes creating things a pain in the everloving arse. : P

Soooo here's a WIP study for Figure 2 class. We have to draw a simple-formed skeleton from a photo (Which is the one on the far left) and then draw the same pose rotated in 45 degree increments from imagination. It's really challenging, but I'm learning a ton. Gonna start fresh with a different pose over the weekend and get all 8 drawings done properly.

Thanks
    1-hour environment study done from life. We're working on time of day in painting class, doing the same scene at 3 different times, 2 from observation and one from imagination. This is my first at dusk, gonna get up dark and early tomorrow and catch the sunrise!

Painting digitally outside is weird. Both the sun moving and your battery power urge you to paint faster and more efficiently. : P

Thanks
    Time of day #2 for the plein-air painting. Not as happy with this one as the sunset one, but ah well, such is the way of art! Time to clean these up!

Thanks
    long time no see ... post #66 rock .
    On And On , I Am Cursed To Live Cursed With Life Until I Have Done What Done What Must Be Done . . . I Am The Man Who Would Not Die .

Thanks
    Thanks very much, raminafshari! : )

Here's another oil portrait, still sticking to the brown and white palette. I think we're gonna be bringing in red and yellow here pretty soon, which should allow for some mixing of real skin tones!

Thanks
    I love that you're studying and referencing from some of the great classics!

Ah, and an actual painter I see! Very nice.
    I was thinking all of your work was digital, but it's nice to see someone working with actual paint for once.

I can't think of any critiques at the moment, but keep up the awesome work!
    Sketchbook

"Drawing is the discipline by which I constantly discover the world."

dA Gallery

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast