Sketchbook: Jon Neimeister's (Andantonius) Sketchbook - Updated Often! - Page 3

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a bunch, Jamie! All the result of hard work and listening to those wiser than I. : )

Here's some new stuff, my last post of 2010! Hope you all have a happy new years and take 2011 as an opportunity to pursue your dreams and achieve your goals.

The final for the above piece, lamely titled "Born of Passion".
    Name:  Goddess-012.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  417.7 KB

And an hour-ish figure study.
    Name:  Male_007.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  278.4 KB

I must be getting more artistic, these past few posts are positively saturated with nudity. : P
    *Puts on silly artist chapeau*

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like a lot what I see here, especially that still life.
    Also, I think that the woman on last post needs just a bit more color and value variations on her upper bod, but the cloth and background are very good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a bunch, heix33! I totally agree with your crit too, definitely need to push those subtleties. Thanks!

So, I've recently achieved my goal of drawing every single day, it's just become ingrained in my sooouuulll, so to follow suit I'm going to start updating both my sketchbook thread and my blog every day. I'm gonna start posting more WIP artwork, as well as smaller studies, and of course the big fancy finished pieces when they get done every now and then.

Here's some TAD studies. Just started our second semester, totally excited!!

Attached Images Attached Images          

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't even know you were on CA! I'm wingkitsune on DA, I did the anatomy challenge thing you did a while ago. Great work on those studies, keep it up!

sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great studies, I really dig the atmospheric look to your figure studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Vertical Hey Wingkitsune! Good to see ya on here, and thanks a bunch!

@CKLamb Thanks very much! I always love figure studies that balance lost and found edges really well, trying to get some of that in to my work.

Here's a pick-out portrait for head painting class. This will be the third and final one using that technique, then we'll be moving on to opaque paint! There's some info on the technique on my blog.

Happy Sunday!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great progress Jon. Comp studies are looking solid. The head painting class will be a blast. Can't wait to see what you guys learn from it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Josh, I appreciate it! And totally, Head Painting class is gonna blow art education out the water, haha.

For today's arts, here's a master copy of a piece by the great Dean Cornwell, done for an assignment in Painting class!

The main purpose of this was to get the look and feel of traditional brush strokes using digital tools, which is a ton of fun to do. If you're interested in it, I'll be making short tutorials over the next 4 days about how I got the painterly brush strokes in this, which will be posted on my blog. The first one will be posted tomorrow, you can check it out here: [link]

This piece was a bunch of fun to analyze compositionally too, Cornwell's arrangement of shapes and values is really masterful, and the limited color palette is quite powerful. Overall a great learning experience!

Hope ya dig, and have a dandylicious day!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's another portrait for head painting class. The assignment took the next step in using oils, so now instead of using just a dark and picking out the lights, we're using a dark and a light paint and mixing them to create the different values, which also creates a different temperature as white will cool off other colors when mixed together.

It was a little more challenging than the pick-out technique, which was essentially drawing with paint, but I'm happy with the results and it should be a ton of fun to explore it further! : )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not much of an update to show, had a really frustrating day which makes creating things a pain in the everloving arse. : P

Soooo here's a WIP study for Figure 2 class. We have to draw a simple-formed skeleton from a photo (Which is the one on the far left) and then draw the same pose rotated in 45 degree increments from imagination. It's really challenging, but I'm learning a ton. Gonna start fresh with a different pose over the weekend and get all 8 drawings done properly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1-hour environment study done from life. We're working on time of day in painting class, doing the same scene at 3 different times, 2 from observation and one from imagination. This is my first at dusk, gonna get up dark and early tomorrow and catch the sunrise!

Painting digitally outside is weird. Both the sun moving and your battery power urge you to paint faster and more efficiently. : P

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Time of day #2 for the plein-air painting. Not as happy with this one as the sunset one, but ah well, such is the way of art! Time to clean these up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    long time no see ... post #66 rock .

On And On , I Am Cursed To Live Cursed With Life Until I Have Done What Done What Must Be Done . . . I Am The Man Who Would Not Die .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks very much, raminafshari! : )

Here's another oil portrait, still sticking to the brown and white palette. I think we're gonna be bringing in red and yellow here pretty soon, which should allow for some mixing of real skin tones!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love that you're studying and referencing from some of the great classics!

Ah, and an actual painter I see! Very nice.
    I was thinking all of your work was digital, but it's nice to see someone working with actual paint for once.

I can't think of any critiques at the moment, but keep up the awesome work!

Sketchbook

"Drawing is the discipline by which I constantly discover the world."

dA Gallery

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, the progress you've made on faces, observation, and blending is simply fantastic, motivates me to work hard, and jealous that you have some real direction, it's hard to do it on your own ;/

keep it up, and keep us updated.

cheers

...the imperfections make it interesting...

[sketchbook] [deviantart]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't even know you were on CA. great colors and line

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome stuff
    The exercise which involves rotating a pose from imagination sounds like a great way to fully grasp anatomy; I am definitely going to try that. I'm glad you mentioned it

I like your paintings and pencil work too, keep it up!

"Dang girl, if you weren't a figment of my imagination I'd wanna have yo baby."
    - Adventure Time, Jake

"All the thoughts of a turtle are turtle. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Zenobia - For sure! Gotta study the masters, no need to reinvent the wheel. And totally, digital is a great tool, but there's so much to learn from traditional that it's a shame when people totally neglect it. Thanks a bunch!

@Dope Fiend - Thanks a ton! Workin' hard is always good; and though it is good to have direction, you can still get direction without necessarily going to school. Constantly look for resources that you can use to better yourself, and if you get stuck just ask someone for some guidance, most people don't bite. You can probably even find a mentor online that'll guide you along if you're respectful and hard-working. And of course, practice practice practice!

@Karantina - Thanks a bunch! : )

@Lunatic Hermit - Thanks! And yeah, it's a tough exercise, but you learn soooo much from it. Simplifying the body in to big forms and learning to turn them in space is really the only way to draw figures from imagination.

Don't have anything fancy to show for today, so here's a 2-ish hour figure painting I did during a session yesterday. The time went by quick and I wasn't able to clean up the female figure on the right, so overall this would probably be better if I had just focused on the guy and gotten the proportions and forms more accurate. But ah well, at least my oil painting skills are improving, though I've still gotta remember to vary my brushes, the markmaking in this is pretty dull.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're improving quickly. nice job! can't wait to see more.

Get connected! Follow me below!
    Art Blog | CGHub | deviantART |Facebook Fan Page
    I'm available for freelance work. Please email me. My email can be found on my blog.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DAMN SON, what's in the water where you are? You're really moving fast! Keep up the studies, that's sure to benefit you.

"She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    LOOK AT MY DEVIANT ART PAGE!
    LOOK AT MY FINALLY FINISHED PAGE!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @blazinwolf - Thanks, I appreciate it! More is on the way! : )

@Quigleyer - Haha, not much in the water, but the 14 hour days drawing and being taught to draw help.

Here's my second and complete attempt at the figure turnaround study. This really whooped my buttocks, but I think I understand the concepts of it and if I had had time to really lay down ellipses and work out the perspective I could've gotten it totally accurate. But for now, I think this'll do! Draawwiiinnngggg!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yet another portrait for head painting class. This time I tried using paint straight from the tube, no thinner or medium. It was pretty tough, getting the first layer of paint to stick to the canvas was really tough and it took me probably an hour just to cover the whole canvas in paint. I also tried a constructive method to start out, building the head in forms and planes rather than just looking for light & dark shapes. Lovin' the oils, and doing two portraits every week is just crazy helpful, you can tackle all kinds of art problems with just a portrait.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy.

Just wow.

In just a year?

My jaw dropped several times. I love your figure drawings especially.

My Sketchbook
    I'm a work-in-progress. :3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Fuzzy Brown Shark- Thanks! Lots of drawing has occurred over the past year, haha. Glad you like the figures, they're some of my favorites to draw! : )

And speaking of figures, here's some architectural ones. Same as the previous turnarounds, we had to observe a pose and draw its skeleton, then draw it from different views from imagination. Tough, but extremely helpful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Didn't get to do much drawin' today, so here's a WIP of another cast drawing! This one should be lots of fun, we're going to spend the entire semester on this one drawing in cast class, working with vine charcoal. It's gonna be nice to have a project to just chill out on and not worry about looming deadlines, and the end goal will be a perfect representation of reality. Fun stuff!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more anatomy study from Figure 2! It's oh-so fun and highly educational to break things down in to simple forms you can draw from imagination. Gonna be exciting once we start getting in to muscles!

Last edited by Andantonius; March 5th, 2011 at 12:00 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice updates, those turnarounds look very solid. Great use of values in your paintings as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @cgaddict - Thanks! Glad you dig 'em! : )

The only downside to posting every day is I don't always have something hugely interesting to post, but nevertheless here's a composition study I did today of a piece by Edmund Blair Leighton. I'm trying to do one of these every day, and have been sorta failing at that but am getting better. I'm gonna make a list of art push-ups to do every day and try to reserve an hour or so for them.

As for all the written jargon on the right, it's really just an analysis for my purposes. In Composition 2 we're learning to abstract artwork and use just the light & dark shapes to create the right feeling for the piece. One really helpful technique we've learned is metaphor, it's kinda tough to decide how to draw a bunch of soldiers, but if you can decide you want those soldiers to feel like shattered glass you have a much clearer idea as to the shapes and arrangement that can be used to get your point across. Sounds kinda crazy first, but it's actually tremendously helpful for composing. And don't worry, it's not pretentious art school crap, this is nothing more than a tool to help the artist compose, it's not some secret hidden message that the audience is supposed to extract.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's another study from one of the best artists of our time, and one of my personal favorites, Justin Sweet!

Justin has stunning compositional skills, and he executes his pieces with great simplicity and strength. Definitely worthy of studying! This one has some of the best movement and balance (or lack thereof) that I've seen, you could devote quite some time to just studying the angles in this and seeing how they all relate and strengthen each other.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3