Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanks Alex! And yeah, that would probably work pretty well. I'd like to experiment more with glazing, transparent paint gives supa nice results and would probably look pretty hawt on that metallic stuff. Experimentashun!

And for today's stuff, here's a droaring done as an example for some commissions I'm offering over on dA. If you're interested you can check 'em out: [Link]

These are the later two of four stages, ink washes and digital color. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out, and it's nice to mess around with inks again, haven't done it in a while. There's some earlier steps and process info over on my bloggity: [Link]

Have a good'un!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Here's another composition study, this one's a lot more general than a lot of my previous ones, which was nice cause it allowed for more focus on the big overall shapes. The others are good for picking up the subtle nuances, so it's good to do both.

Thanks
    HI
    you improved nicely in short time,
    keep it up
    i will watch you from now on

Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 1,033 Posts
    yeah jonny boy, yeah! Man I gotta do some comp studies. Also, a little late now but the foreshortening on the elf girls left leg is a bit extreme, its a tad on the small side. Keep it up Jonny boy!

Thanks
    @Witek - Thanks very much! I appreciate it! : )

@Lexal - Thanks brodog! Comp studies are the bomb, and yeah her leg is a little wonky, still learning how to do foreshortening properly, need moar bridgman studies.

Here's a quick study I did of a Rembrandt eye today, it is nooowhere near as subtle as his and my forms and values need a lot of work, but some of the color variation, though a bit too extreme, is working pretty well I think. Gotta keep workin 'dem oils!

Thanks
    Here's the completed study from yesterday's post, added a Rembrandt mouth and an eye and mouth of one of his contemporaries, Pickenoy.

Overall the Pickenoys were easier to replicate, his forms are much clearer and defined, Rembrandt has such extreme subtlety that it's hard to see where or how to put the paint. I learned a lot from these though, I think it's gonna benefit my portraits a lot.

Thanks
    Here's a project for our Visual Narrative class. This was a pretty crazy ride, the assignment was to do an 8-page comic and base every single panel off a photo by a provided list of photo journalists. It was really challenging cause as soon as I felt a good idea started to flow I ran out of related photos, so it changed gears from epic story to random comedy pretty quickly, haha. But it was pretty fun regardless and I learned some good stuff.

Edit: images baleeted cause unnecessarily long post was unnecessarily long. If you want to read the story you can check it out on my blog: [Link]
    Last edited by Andantonius; April 22nd, 2011 at 03:44 AM.

Thanks
    Here's a figure drawing and muscle/form analysis. I'm starting to feel more confident with placing muscles on the figure, especially in the forearm, I think I'm finally figuring out how to orient it properly so the muscles can be figure out. The secret is in the ulnar furrow, which is the line of the ulna from elbow to little finger that's subcutaneous and separates the flexors and extensors. If you know where that is, it's easy to figure out where the flexors, extensors, and supinators should go, which makes forearms pretty simple.

Still gotta work on getting the forms down solidly though, Dean Cornwell's charcoal studies are great to look at for that, he was a master of form wedging for sure.

Thanks to justmeina on dA for the great reference!

Thanks
    Here's a new image for today. Apologies for not updating over the weekend, I was out of town visiting with family, teachers, and tasty oil paintings, and I figured your inboxes would prefer to be asked forgiveness than permission.

Anywho, this is the beginning stages of our latest assignment in head painting class, which is to copy a piece by the great Norman Rockwell. Needless to say it'll be no easy task, but I'm looking forward to it.

I tried to focus a lot on this drawing, cause most of my portraits so far have fallen apart in the drawing more than the painting, so I worked this all up in perspective, made sure to compare distances between features and wiped out and repainted any errors I could find. I think it was definitely worth it, the likeness isn't perfect but I think the structure is solid. There are some issues with the eyes and nose that I fixed but didn't get a chance to photograph, so it should be in pretty good shape. We'll see tomorrow when the rest of the painting goes down!

Thanks
    Here's the final Rockwell copy, had lots of fun rendering this guy out and learned a ton. I think this is probably one of my most successful oil paintings to date, both in the form, color, and drawing.

This one was super useful to study to learn some stuff about color, and Rockwell's form is so clear that it's really great to study to learn facial features.
    Last edited by Andantonius; April 27th, 2011 at 10:57 AM.

Thanks
    I'm sure you'll all thoroughly enjoy this subject matter and can appreciate it for all its artistic beauty.

But yeah, this is another part of our assignment for figure class, to create an ideal couple and two exaggerated couples. Hopefully obviously, this is one of my exaggerated couples, the short and dumpy variety. The next ones will probably be elegant and toned and wispy, which will probably be somewhat more appealing. But in any case, enjoy the fatties and their fatty skeletons.

Thanks
    Here's some studies done during figure class today, working on the muscles and forms of the neck and trying to get the head situated on to the body properly. I'm feeling pretty good about them, but the jaw on the one in the lower left is still throwing me off. Practice practice!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 1,033 Posts
    GO JON GOOOOO GOOOOO GOOOOOOO! very cool updates, looking forward to seeing the character sheets for those biguns. thanks for sharing Jon.

Thanks
    looking good! Im liking those studies, keep up the improvement!

Thanks
    Fetal Mingers- Thanks, dude! I'm looking forward to them too; FAT IN MOTION YAY!

jbrown67- Thanks very much! I'm glad ya like em! : )

Here's a study done for figure class, continuing on the turnaround trend but now trying to put muscles on them as well. It's pretty tough, but we're gonna start working on studying muscles in class so these should improve pretty quick, I need to go over all the origins and insertions again.

As far as this particular one is concerned I'm pretty happy with it for a first attempt, I botched up the arms and lost the swoosh of his pose, but I think some of the bigger masses are working well. As always, practice practice!

Thanks to watchstock on dA for the reference!

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast