Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,543 Times in 1,033 Posts
    hmm, looking good but I don't quite buy the scale of the piece with the animals in it, I think its a combination of indicators like blades of grass and the camera angle, its very straight on, like we are looking out of the viewers eyes. I think it needs a couple more indicators to really show how massive those trees are. Maybe varying the size of the trunks themselves as they recede a bit more, making the ones up front incredibly massive. the one in the foreground on the left is almost the same thickness across as the one right behind it. mark making is lookin good though man!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I'm astonished of how dedicated you are in practicing and learning. I mean 6 hours of class and then 4 to 8 hours after is almost the whole day!
    The Sketchbook
    Sketchbook Support Group Members: kitfox Not Deadman Trailbazer DTP
    Miss.BonBon

Thanks
    Alex- Thanks dude! And yeah I agree, the deer were added in a bit hastily to meet the deadline and are causing some issues. I'm not entirely sure how to decide what the ideal scale for a scene is and there are definitely things like the grass that aren't helping much, hah. Totally didn't even notice the foreground and background trees being the same size, herrrpp freaking derp. Thanks again, I'll work on it!

metalhead3- Haha, yeah. After showers, food, and driving it pretty much is the whole day. But jobs aren't just gonna fall from the sky, so I'm doing everything in my power to master the craft, and if it means giving up just about everything else then that'll just have to be how it is for a while. : P

--

And after many long hours, days and nights, blood, sweat and charcoal snot, the cast is done!

I still need to send it in for final approval, but I'm gonna be heading out of town tomorrow so this is about all it's gonna get (that also means updates probably won't be daily next week).

Overall this was a ton of fun to do and I learned a lot about value structure and subtlety of modeling for realism. It was definitely a struggle, but I can safely say that I've done everything I know to do to make it as good as it can be, so I'm happy with it.

Ultimately it's just a really good exercise, if you want to boost your finishing skills, do one of these. Not only does it teach realism and the effects of light on form, but also the patience and discipline that's oh so important to being able to create the most impactful imagery you possibly can. It's not done until it's as good as it can be; good can be various levels of polish and could be 2 or hours or 200 hours, but it's not done until it's done and that's how everything should be.

Final tally: 80-90 hours, about 2.5 sticks of Nitram charcoal consumed, approximately 15.34 miles walked between station point and drawing, 2 sore feet, 10% increased left arm strength as a substitute mahl stick, and many tracks of film scores and dubstep listened to.

Cast drawing, I wipe my hands of thee!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Andantonius For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,154 Posts
    YAY!! looks incredible man! congrats man, its so nice

Thanks
    Looks badass. I should find a cast to work on some time, looks fun.

Thanks
    thats a lovely cast! nice job.

Thanks
    Ryan- Thanks dude!

Smoke- Thanks! It's a lot of work, but it's definitely a great exercise and a lot of fun.

Little-Maiden- Thanks!

--

I don't have much of an update since I'm still out of town, but I put together a walkthrough of my EoW piece which you can check out on my dA: [Link]

I'll hopefully have something cool to post soon though, I got about 800 photos of awesome mountain landscapes on our drive through CO, so I'm gonna try and do some environment studies and maybe post up some of the pics, we shall see.
    Last edited by Andantonius; July 6th, 2011 at 10:18 AM.

Thanks
    Hot diggity dog an update! I've been super busy with everything lately and haven't had much time to update, which will probably be the case for the next couple weeks while the TAD workshop is going on, and after that normal daily posting will resume and I'll try to update as much as I can in the meantime.

I'll try and talk a bit about the workshop in later posts when I have more time to update, cause so far it's been awesome, there's a ton of great people here and as always the information the instructors are presenting is great. We've had crits, lectures and demos from John English, George Pratt, Ted Kinsella, Andrea Wicklund from Valve, Brent Watkinson, Anita Kunz, Francis Vallejo, Jon Foster, Marshall Vandruff, and Ron and Vanessa Lemen so far with plenty more on the way. Maybe when I've got more time I'll take a week to just recap what went on during the workshop, we'll see.

And also here's some of the things I've been up to lately. Some sketches from life drawing and imagination, which I'm feeling very happy with, I think my drawing is taking a turn for the better. And at the bottom is a photo of Vanessa Lemen at the workshop, about to start an oil demo!

Hope ya dig it, have a good one! Regular updates shall return soon!
    Last edited by Andantonius; August 16th, 2011 at 05:19 PM.

Thanks
    Another workshop update! Still going strong, keeping busy and having a blast. This second week has been heavily focused on entertainment design so far, so the instructors, mainly Jason Manley, have been giving a lot of good info about the industry and how the process goes for making games. It's pretty interesting, and has got me thinking about careers and such and if concept art is really what I want to do; there's so much cool stuff in art that it's hard to choose, I'll probably talk with the instructors this week and see what's up.

But anyways, arts! Not too much to say about these, the first is just a quick speedpainting done of my view out of the KC pod while waiting for a lecture to start, messing around with some more direct painting and economic brush work. And the second is just a flock of sketches and figure drawings that I've been doing over the past few days. The zombies near the end are some initial sketches for our second assignment, which is also a character design assignment.

Ciao!
    Last edited by Andantonius; August 16th, 2011 at 05:21 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Andantonius For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    ace work jon! doing great.

Thanks
    Thanks, Alexion Konstriderionmandangler!

Aaaand at last it's time to get back in the groove. Daily updates return NOW! *explosions and fireworks*
    To re-start things off, here's the final for the zombies I mentioned in the above post, as well as a few 45 minutes warm-ups some of the guys and I did at the KC workshop.

In other news, TAD semester 3 just started and we're all diving in to our majors, Entertainment 2D for me, so hopefully I'll have some pretty awesome stuff to post from that pretty soon! Woohoo, arts!

Thanks
    oooooooh jonny boi! you're doing good work my friend!

Thanks
    I absolutely love your drawings on this page - they look very professional and far better than your previous works.Also you have nailed some pretty tough gestures.gj

Thanks
    Alex- Thanks, mang! Glad ya dig it! : D

obier- Thanks very much, I appreciate the compliment! It's good to hear that at this stage of the game. : )

--

And here's some schoolwork from today, a quick oil painting based off of a sculpture for Figure Painting class with Jon Foster, and a WIP of a Diablo 2 Druid orthograph for Entertainment Design class with Jason Manley and Ron Lemen. It's pretty awesome, exciting and terrifying to be getting in to our majors after foundations year, though I'm still gonna be learning forever it seems like I have enough knowledge that I can no longer use a lack of knowledge as an excuse for low quality work. I think I'll hold my work more accountable now because of it, which is a scary and exciting thing cause it's exciting to see that I can produce better stuff, but scary that there's no hiding anything to try and cover up a job poorly done, I think it's gonna bring some serious discipline in to my life and workflow. We shall see what the next year and a half brings!

Hope you have a good one, and keep doin whatever it is you need to do to get where you want to be!

Thanks
    Here's the results of today's 15 hour school day, woohoo! The first is an addition to the oil portrait from yesterday, I painted another one since the assignment isn't due till Tuesday, and I'll probably go back in and touch both of them up a little more. I was trying to get some really smooth, academic modeling going on on the bearded guy, but didn't quite get there, I think it's a matter of value mixing and brush control, but I'll keep practicing and find out.

And then after that are some figure drawings, which were so fun and nice to do. About 6 months ago I switched from smooth to rough newsprint for figure drawing cause that's all our local art store had at the time, and I quickly discovered that rough newsprint is the crappiest thing in the universe to draw on and I eventually just started doing figure drawing in my sketchbook. But a couple days ago I went to the art store and they actually had some smooth, so I stocked up 3 50 sheet pads of it and it's made my day and life notably awesomer, conte` on smooth newsprint is like heaven in the form of waxy papery magic, so that was fun. I think my best drawing of the night was the very bottom middle one, or the second row left where he's doing the whole goring-a-recently-felled-boar-with-a-spear pose. Figure drawing is so much fun!

Have a good one! : )
    Last edited by Andantonius; August 12th, 2011 at 01:41 AM.

Thanks
    Really nice characters and poses and a nice line.

Thanks
    Vaejoun - Thanks very much!

--

Not too much to show today, but here's an update on that Druid orthograph, with a more refined front view and a back view. I've still got to do the side view and then tweak all three for perspective and accuracy, which should be quite the task but I really want to do as good a job of it as I can. My goal for this assignment is to turn this in and get it approved first round; like I mentioned a couple days ago after finishing foundations I feel like it's time to take a no-excuses attitude toward everything, so I'm gonna spend as much time as I need working out perspective, lining things up, and making all 3 views totally identical from different perspectives. I feel like I've got the know-how at this point, just need to put in the time, so if all goes well next Wednesday will show a professional quality ortho that could be sent off to a modeler. Here's hoping!

Also, vaguely related, classes for the entertainment 2D are totally awesome, I'm super excited for some of the assignments we're gonna be doing. I won't be able to post all of it, but I'll try to show some interesting stuff! It's dream-chasing time, aww yeah.

Thanks
    Didn't do too much today except for work on my ortho some more and that would seem to be a bit redundant, so here's some sketchbookings that I hadn't posted yet from the workshop. Some figure drawings, portraits of fellow students, and Bridgman hand studies... and random centaur guy.

On a random note, I found drawing the slightly heavier girl on this page to be rather fun, you can really see the forms and how they overlap and squash & stretch and things of that nature. Supermodel girls are great, but it's fun to get a different variety of body types from time to time. And in other news, I really need to practice hands. Will get on that... In the name of art!

Thanks
    Cool studys, I like the druid from diablo2expansion, classic. have fun.

Thanks
    Cold- Thanks very much! I'm glad you like it!

--

Here's a just-for-fun figure drawing done today, not much to it. I'm really, exceptionally happy to have some smooth newsprint again. I can actually render again! Yay!

And tonight I'm finally gonna go see Deathly Hallows Pt. 2, super pumped to see the last chapter, I've heard good things.

Enjoy your day, keep makin ur arts!
    Last edited by Andantonius; August 14th, 2011 at 10:40 PM.

Thanks
    Your ortho dudes hips must be mighty small to wear both the pants and that belt. just sayin. good wark going on here though Jon, good wark.

Thanks
    Thanks, Alex! And yeah, I agree, but if my observations of the design are correct then that's how he appears in-game, I dunno. He seems to be oddly tall and lanky, but I'll double check just to be sure. Thanks, mang!

--

Sorry for not updating yesterday, I spent pretty much the entire day doing homework but it was all research stuff so I didn't have any arts to post. xD

But such is the way of life, so for today here's some figure drawings from tonight's session! The middle right one is from imagination, and I think the bottom right one is one of my most successful drawings to date in terms of proportion and solid anatomy. Still got a long ways to go with my figure drawing, but it's definitely getting better and those Bridgman studies have helped a ton. Fun stuff!

Thanks
    agreed on the bottom right one man! i stared at it for a while when i grabbed my stuff.

Thanks
    !xelA ,sknahT I'm glad ya dig it! Gotta keep pushin' them figure skills.

--

Allllllmost done with this! Got all 4 views worked out and gotten a round of feedback from my instructor, so now I've just gotta make another quality pass on it. Main thing to fix is the hands, and also make his shoulders broader and shoulderpads bulkier, see if I can get him more heroic looking.

All in all this has been a pretty fun process and I'm glad that most of the critiques I got were nit-picks, I feel like I tried my hardest and it paid off, and now I'm gonna try a little harder! Gonna try and keep that up.

Thanks
    Here's the result of tonight's figure session, a 3 hour portrait which I did in oils. It was pretty fun, but I'm not too stoked with how the portrait turned out; I like it in the sense that I tried something I'd never done before, but I don't like it in the sense that it's... not very good. xD

The new thing I did was at about 2 hours in to the process I just didn't like where it was at all, the drawing was getting worse, some of the colors and marks were getting muddy, and just overall it looked pretty meh. So I grabbed a paper towel and wiped the whole thing pretty firmly which took off a lot of the paint, softened all the edges like crazy, but left a ghost of the image there which I spent the last hour working out of.

The process itself was good cause that's how I'm most comfortable working; start soft and find the forms inside of a blur, and if it's not working go back to soft and find them again. But that's digital, with this after I wiped everything down I realized that every color in the piece had changed and been affected by another color and I had no idea how to mix any of them accurately to paint on top of the ghost, so the last hour was just spent clarifying the background, adding highlights and not knowing what to do.

I think ultimately that's where my biggest weakness with oil is right now. I can mix up some flesh tones and it'll look decent, but actually mixing up the exact color that I'm seeing in life is just confusing still, mixing up a color that you're seeing in relation to other colors but mixing in relation with just white is... mindbreaking. I think that's where most of my struggle is going to be with figure painting class this semester, but that's why it's fun! So for this portrait, it's a failure moving towards success, hurrah!

Have a good one!

Thanks
    Took a pretty chill day today, so here's a quickie paintsketch. About an hour total, half drawing half painting. Obviously inspired by the Ritualist from Guild Wars, which have some of my favorite designs.

Hope ya dig it!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Andantonius For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Here's a couple figure drawings from today's session, about an hour each, vine charcoal on smooth newsprint.

We had a pretty fun model for these ones today, she was really slender and defined and you could pick out pretty much every muscle quite distinctly. It was more evident in the shorter gestures rather than these longer ones, but I didn't really get any good drawings of those.

Feeling like my figures are getting decent nowadays though; still suffer from proportional issues and my hands, faces, and sometimes feet are pretty bad, but practice practice.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Andantonius For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Here's some funtimes from today, my first full-figure assignment in Figure Painting class with the mighty Jon Foster. This was a ton of fun to do and I think I made some pretty epic breakthrough as far as understanding and mixing color go, as well as how to handle oils.

One of the biggest breakthroughs came from re-watching Scott Waddell's webisode about painting an eye (Do check it out, it's worth a watch: [Link]).

I'd been having trouble mixing skintones cause there's just so much variation in skin that I didn't know what or how to mix, but he mentioned that it helps to start by finding the lightmost facing plane on the surface and use that to identify the local value, local hue, and local chroma (how light and dark, what color, and how intense the color is). So I gave that a try and it realllllyyy simplified everything down; instead of trying to mix an array of skin tones I was able to just start with the base and make all other mixtures relative to that, just saying darker, lighter, redder, greener, etc. I think it's some of my best color in oil so far. Now the next step is to get away from copying the photo's color as much and exaggerating it to better give the feeling of light.

I was also, again, trying to get some nice soft academic form modeling going on, and I think I got closer than last time with the bearded dude painting, but it's not quite there. I used a fan brush and a ragged round brush to ponce (tap) the canvas and then gently brush to soften edges, and it works but it's not as clean a final product as I'd like it to be, I think I still need to work on a light touch to really get nice blending going on.

But overall I'm quite happy with how this turned out, super excited to do more! Took about 4-5 hours, oil on 16"x20" canvas board, mostly a 1 inch flat sable, zorn palette.

Have a good one!

Thanks
    This Sketchbook deserves so much MORE traffic, what a wonderful array of work you have, your figures are getting really strong, keep working hard!

Thanks for posting that link too!

Thanks
    Still WOW anatomy!

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast