what major?

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: what major?

Sadclown Guest

what major?

Hi all,

I'm new to the boards and I just wanted to ask a question. My goal is to eventually become a concept artist for the entertainment industry...movies, games etc. I know it sounds like an insanely daunting task, but my real dream is to be able to follow the art side of game development from concept sketch to fully rendered 3d models. That's my dream anyway.

So my question is this...what did everybody (that's been to college) major in? What classes should I take, aside from the obvious?

Right now, I'm thinking about majoring in Industrial Design and minoring in 3d animation. Does this sound like it would work?

BTW This probably sounds like a totally stupid question but anyway...I know most of you have been drawing all your lives, but I just started within the last six months. I'm 21, so do you think that's too late to start?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    It is never to late to begin, Jason Manley didn't start until he was 20.

I'm a junior right now in college, majoring in 3D animation. My interests are pretty much the same as yours (concept->3d). It depends on where you go to school, but I find here that a 3D art major is a good direction - because you get more time to develop stronger 3D skills as opposed to it being a minor where you might "brush" over things. However it is very important to continuously draw from life because it benefits your artistic abilities in every aspect, especially conceptual. Where ever you go, make sure the school offers life drawing sessions outside of the classroom, and get atleast 4 hours in a week. If you get studio electives, always opt for tradtional classes (life painting is a good one, explore as many mediums as you can. helps a lot with texturing 3d models; a very important aspect to 3d).

Hope this helps!

Last edited by J Bradford; November 15th, 2002 at 08:18 PM.

Sadclown Guest
    Thanks for the reply J. I think you're probably right about majoring in 3d animation as opposed to minoring. I do want to learn as many mediums as possible, I would truly love to learn to paint (you can see my pitiful first attempt in the work in progress forum). I definitely want to get into some life drawing classes as well.

Anyway...I saw in another thread that you go to SCAD. I would LOVE to go there. I don't know if I'm good enough to get in, though. Are the requirements tough? It seems very inexpensive for a school of it's caliber. Do you like the school, classes, evnvironment etc?

okay, okay, I'm sorry, I'm babbling. anyway thanks again for the reply.

Thanks

Smile

The flame was looking good, I think you could work on it more however. The shape of the flame wasn't right (the base had a big bulge in it compared to the reference), and your colors had too much white in it. Check the reference again and try using a smoother brush - that looked like rough camel hair.

I like SCAD a lot, the enviroment is nice; Savannah being a big historical town makes life at art school pretty unique. The classes are good - most professors are pretty qualified and have industry experience or an MFA. Getting in isn't the most difficult thing, the school is more about accepting students "new" to art and letting them expand their talent with the school recources. It can be a drag sometimes with that priciple because I see a lot of classmates who really don't have a passion for what they are doing, it seems like they just think art is "cool" and love to party. The foundation department here rocks, we have life drawing sessions every friday from 1-4pm, and there is life painting sessions on wed. My freshman year I kinda blew my free time at the dorms hanging and not doing much outside my classwork, which I regret a lot. You might want to try not living at the dorms and getting a downtown apartment so you can stay focused on work.

But give it a shot :thumb: , if you decide to come just try to deticate those 4 years to your art, and watch what happens. Of course don't get burned out but really bend the bar with practicing and you will be the samuri student at your junior and senior year.

I think if you like copying things like flames you should consider giving master copying a try, head over to www.artrenewal.org and copy everything you can. It will help you improve immensly.

Sadclown Guest
    thanks again for the reply J.

You're right about the candle the shape of the flame was definitely off. It's really hard to get things like that correct with a mouse (what I wouldn't give for even a cheap wacom), but I'll get the hang of it I think. I'm really new to working with colors so you're probably right about there being too much white, and that actually was a camel hair brush...lol, I don't even know enough about painting to know what brushes to use! I tried to find some tutorials on how to get started but I didn't have much luck. Oh well, thanks tho, I appreciate the crits.

I think I am gonna at least try to get into SCAD. I had basically narrowed it down to two choices...the other one being the Art Institute of Pittsburgh (because it's close to home). I think I'd like the environment of Savannah more though, and the school sounds excellent. Money is also a big factor and it's about 1/3 of the price of AIP.

I'm actually married so I didn't plan on living at the dorms anyway, but I hear what you're saying. I've wasted enough of my life now knowing what I wanted to do...once I get into school I plan to make the most of it.

Hopefully, with a little luck and alot of work, I'll be enrolled by 2004. I stil ahve to work up a good portfolio and, more importantly, the money to pay for it all. So wish me luck, and thanks for all the help!

EDIT: BTW J, does SCAD require you to buy certain materials for certain majors? I know AIP requires that you buy a kit when you enroll that includes all the necessary supplies (pencils, markers, paint etc). Just curious.

Thanks
    There is no kit required, usually in each class the professor will write out in the syllabus what materials you need. Good luck, a good portfolio can help you land some scholorship money.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.