Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 850 Posts

talk about your ego

I used to have a huge ego. Not to say I don't still have one. It's just not as huge anymore. I used to think people critiqued because they was haters and they just hadn't caught on to my genius. I didn't know I sucked. I just thought I was ahead of my time. I can laugh about that shit all I want now, but that ego is still present. I think contributing something new is far more important than living up to status quo. Even though I have a greater respect for status quo and a love for tradition. I think an understanding of tradition is a necessary contrast to bringing something new to the table.

Ego still holds me back from trying new things, because I don't like the idea of sucking at something or having a dull outcome for a while. I don't like the idea of working hard to look average and uninspired. I just want to be awesome and that's that. It's probably a trap many of us fall into.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I. hate. arrogance. Biggest turn off to me by far.

I do a hell of a lot of thinking of how I present myself and how it comes off to people. I certainly act confident, but I'm always weary of crossing the thin line from confident to arrogant. Sometimes I'll say something and then be like "wait no I didn't mean for it to sound that arrogant." So I guess I don't really have much of an ego. Or maybe I do? is it arrogant for me to act like I don't? Like I'm better than other people because I don't have an ego?haha. I have little self-checks like that after almost everything that might be percieved as boastful or arrogant. I'd say it really makes me a better person (that sounds kind of arrogant doesnt it? haha) because it makes me watch what I say and think everything through.

just my 2 cents

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChristianWeeks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 686 Posts
    I've supreme confidence in what I say & do.

If that's ego, or arrogant, then so be it.
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    "There is no place big enough to contain an ego, or small enough to hide it"

Can't remember who I'm quoting, but it rings true to me...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to alesoun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 723 Posts
    I'm not sure if it's ego, but I always get mad when people in my classes turn in better work than me. That's a motivation but on the other hand it takes some fun out of it because I'm worried about being "better" than others..

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Barker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    everyones got varying degrees of ego. Usually when mine goes out of hand something happens to put me back in my place. I'll usually be overly sarcastic, or act like I can completely conquer something that I don't have a chance in hell of doing. "Run 4 straight miles? Sure I can do that easy!" 20 minutes and some vomiting later, I reconsider that. "Out of my league? Nah she'll appreciate my blatant sexual come ons" 5 minutes and an aching ballsack later, I reconsider that. The main bullet point here is reality seems to catch up to me eventually. Plus I always get some hilarious stories from it!
    Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die

My Sketchbook

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Straight Edge Ryan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts
    I agree. Its the same for me, Im afraid to try different things. Instead I stick to what I know will wow people, and if I cant do it then I stress about it until I can, or dont do it at all when deadline comes. have to admit, its a problem. I've failed art classes a number of time because 1) I either couldnt think of anything Amazing enough, or 2) if I thought of one, it'd take me longer to work on it then the limited days given. I'd show up to class with unfinished/no work, or wouldnt show up at all out of shame. The worst of my ego is when I see another student work get an A, when to me, its mediocre, they just do the assignment but never over achieve.

I think it starts when my teacher says my work is very nice since the beginning of the semester, and I try to keep it like that for the rest of the year but cant because some assignments are not my favorite. I should start with crap first and climb my way up.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nauvice For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I have very little ego, which means that if i constantly think everyone is above me, it's just a driving force to strive forward. Can be useful at times
    Where your once steely reserve is now merely tinned,
    You'll find it all in Morrowind

SUPERCALIFRAGILISTIC-EXPIALIDOSKETCH
    | LYNO | GRAFGUY | NANOBLACK | SUBLIMUS |

17. The Following User Says Thank You to NanoBlack For This Useful Post:

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    I am better than anyone who ever lived, is alive now, and will be born in the next 1,200 years. My only flaw is an overwhelmingly sense of humility that I have to fight constantly. I also smell nice...most of the time...
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

19. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Thanked 4,154 Times in 2,280 Posts
    haha my ego F'N RRRRRRRRRRROOOOCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!! !!!!!!!!!!!!! I WAS JUST THINK'N ABOUT THIS CAUSE I HAVE 3 YRS SOBER IN 2 DAYS AN IN ALL THE DIFFERENT TREATMENTS AN CLASSES IVE BEEN TO I HAD TO LEARN ABOUT IT HAHA WHAT I TRY TO DO IS BREAK MY EGO DOWN AN GET TO MY CORE SELF AN ONCE BROKEN ' REBUILD IT WITH THE KNOWLEDGE I HAVE GAINED OVER THE YEARS I THINK ONES EGO IS NECESSARY TO PROTECT ONESELF ON ANY KIND OF MENTAL EMOTIONAL LEVEL I CONSTANTLY HAVE TO CHECK MYSELF THOUGH WHEN I START DOING WELL I CANT LET OFF THE REIGNS BECAUSE THATS WHEN I FALL IM A FIRM BELIEVER IN CONFIDENCE VS ARROGANCE HAHA IM CONFIDENT I F'N RRRRRRRRROOOCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK AT ANYTHING BUT I AM NO BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSE AT ANY SKILL LEVEL AN I WILL DO MY BEST TO CONTINUE TO PUSH MY SELF FORWARD TO ADVANCE HAHA
    CHEERS Raoul Duke FER THE TOPIC I MIGHT NOT MAKE MUCH SENSE TO OTHERS BUT YA GOT MA BRAIN CRACK'N LIKE POPCORN HAHA

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,272 Times in 887 Posts
    To paraphrase Stephen King on writing:

You're a "writer" when you write something and someone gives you a check for that "writing" and you use that check to pay your electric bill.

By that standard:

I ain't no artist!

How many bills have you'uns paid with your art?

Until then, you don't get to have an ego!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I find it hard to be friends with people I don't respect.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sairyo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Being arrogant means you don't think weather something is right or wrong, thinking is a result of uncertainty, f&%# it, you 'know' you're right or wrong.

And when an arrogant person is actually proven wrong then the inflated ego stirs it up even more by creating denial, defensiveness and other unnecessary afflictions people experience when their view is threatened.

I can identify myself as arrogant. My ego fortunately is not inflated anough to cloud my judgement of facts or even logical reasoning. I might feel stupid that what i 'know' is bullshit and i was overconfident, but i remain overconfident non the less. I'm an idiot so sue me. But it sure is fun to provoke people on the internets.

Ironicly, as far as my art is concirned, my ego is nowhere to be found. I can barely enjoy any compliments or praise because instead of feeding my ego, my arrogance goes "pfft yeah yeah, i know it looks awesome...now stfu and give me a job instead"

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kraus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hmm interesting topic. I have been told before that I have the ego of a guy, but I don't really think so. Maybe its because I know I have potential and I have pretty high standards in most of what I do.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Amber Alexander For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamber Parrk View Post
    To paraphrase Stephen King on writing:

You're a "writer" when you write something and someone gives you a check for that "writing" and you use that check to pay your electric bill.

By that standard:

I ain't no artist!

How many bills have you'uns paid with your art?

Until then, you don't get to have an ego!
    Didnt Paris Hilton have a New York times best seller?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    I find I have a hard time reminding myself that I'm both woefully ignorant and a horrible painter, and yet at the same time knowledgeable enough and skilled enough to be worth improving in these areas. I try to be hard on myself every day, but I'm also hard on others. At times I may seem arrogant (as my brother once said), but it's really that I have high standards, which I also often fail.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 850 Posts
    I think this might be the 2nd time this week I've read a Stephen King reference. I'm not sure if he has many great life lessons to share. Woops there goes that ego again.

Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,057 Times in 945 Posts
    crops die all over the world in the shadow of my ego

Crits? I would not be where i am by not listening, I pay a close attention to any feedback i
    get and i often ask other artists and directors for advice and a second view.
    Keep things simple, reply kindness with kindness.
    Never be too proud to ask for advice because only results count and not the way you get there.
    Form your own core opinion.
    Last edited by Randis; February 16th, 2010 at 03:26 AM.
    Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Randis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Amber Alexander View Post
    Maybe its because I know I have potential and I have pretty high standards in most of what I do.
    That's not a guy's ego, that's simply a gal with less self-esteem issues than the norm.

Thanks
    I thought I had an ego in late teens/early twenties, then I discovered the lesson in humility that is homelessness.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reymus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zwarrior View Post
    Didnt Paris Hilton have a New York times best seller?
    Define "have."

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    I think this might be the 2nd time this week I've read a Stephen King reference. I'm not sure if he has many great life lessons to share. Woops there goes that ego again.
    True! He got kind of cratchety, self-righteous and hypocritical after that person ran him down on the road side.

But the pay the bills standard is a pretty solid one.

Thanks
    Wow, 22 replies in less than a day, methinks Raoul has touched a nerve in the collective consciousness of artists .

Technically, "ego" merely means "sense of self", so it is misleading to talk about it in universal terms. I think most people are referring to "self-esteem". The difference is slight, but distinct. Someone can have an accurate ego, and low self esteem, while someone else may have a distorted ego, and high self esteem. (or one of the other 2 combinations)

Think about it.

Personally, i have spent most of my life with low self esteem. In highschool, i recognized this as a hindrance and actively tried to over-inflate my ego. My art benefited because of my new-found confidence, but I found my arrogant self hard to tolerate.

I also spent a period of my highschool life trying to eradicate this troublesome concept of ego all together. (to see myself merely as a part of a system)

Any such philosophy is unworkable if you plan on interacting within society.

These days i kind of bypass the problem, by dealing with the world in terms of probabilities. In this manner, I am never entirely sure of myself, so my ego is in flux, and it seems to work well (for me).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by R a n d i s View Post
    crops die all over the world in the shadow of my ego
    Quote Originally Posted by R a n d i s View Post
    ahh, so ego IS directly proportional to artistic skill.

...So there is definitely a correlation, but the causation alludes me.

Enlighten me Randis, was it the chicken or the egg?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    The first 10 posts in this thread had a lot of "I's" and "Me's" in it, and absolutely no "You"'s. How interesting!

........................................... You.

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlightedArt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It would not be too much of a hyperbole to say that, if most people's ego's weighed as much as a teaspoon of water, I'd weigh in at about half a teaspoon of neutron star (to show off and flaunt my intelligence, about 2,5 trillion tons).

Yes, more than anything in the world, I love me.

Brendan Noeth

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Brendan N For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlightedArt View Post
    The first 10 posts in this thread had a lot of "I's" and "Me's" in it, and absolutely no "You"'s. How interesting!

........................................... You.
    hehe, c'mon, that's not fair and you know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan N View Post
    It would not be too much of a hyperbole to say that, if most people's ego's weighed as much as a teaspoon of water, I'd weigh in at about half a teaspoon of neutron star (to show off and flaunt my intelligence, about 2,5 trillion tons).

Yes, more than anything in the world, I love me.

Ahh, but without the "world" your ego is irrelevant.

(and btw a ton of bricks weighs the same as a ton of feathers)

Oh wait, half a teaspoon? Sarcasm on the internet always blindsides me. However the weight of a volume is defined by its density. that density is defined by the material and the gravity. Is this teaspoon influenced by this gravity? Are you talking about a teaspoon under normal experimental conditions? I MUST KNOW!
    Last edited by karma militia; February 16th, 2010 at 08:32 AM. Reason: To boldify the "you"

48. The Following User Says Thank You to karma militia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I don't know about ego, but if I see someone better than me at art, then I consider them competition and a mortal enemy to be defeated at any cost. I'm not great at art, but I feel I need to be.

Thanks
    SCIENCE!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by karma militia View Post
    hehe, c'mon, that's not fair and you know it.

Ahh, but without the "world" your ego is irrelevant.

(and btw a ton of bricks weighs the same as a ton of feathers)

Oh wait, half a teaspoon? Sarcasm on the internet always blindsides me. However the weight of a volume is defined by its density. that density is defined by the material and the gravity. Is this teaspoon influenced by this gravity? Are you talking about a teaspoon under normal experimental conditions? I MUST KNOW!
    ahh, but my ego is part of the world, so it would not be there to be irrelevant.

Yes, (just to clarify) under experimental conditions here on earth, the density of a neutron star would cause the volume of one teaspoon (5 ml) to weigh in at an incredible 5 trillion tons (that's a 1 with 12 zeros). I think. Despite my ego I'll admit I'm still terrible at math. Just an interesting side note, the gravity of these stars are so immense, that when you observe them you can actually see someway around them due to gravitational lensing. Worth reading up on, these 24 km wide celestial magnets. /offtopic
    Brendan Noeth

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast