Critique wanted

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Critique wanted

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Critique wanted

I would really appreciate some critique on my newest painting. I don't plan on working on it anymore, but I definitively want to spot the mistakes I've done on this piece so that I can watch out for them on my future work.

painted in Easy PaintTool SAI

Thank you very much in advance! :>

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,345 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The things that I, personally, would fix are the inconsistent lighting and simplistic background.

There's nothing wrong with having a simplified, generalized background, but here it looks rather washed out. I suppose it is an attempt at aerial attenuation, but in reality that needs more distance and tends to turn things bluish, not white. Looks kinda like fog, but the overall impression is not that of a fog.

As for the lighting, there are numerous things here. The shadow of the boy is appearing and disappearing in illogical places. It is under the shins, but not under the knees. The shadows on the shirt are almost invisible, while the ones on the front of the rock are very dark - and much darker than the ones on top of the rock. The shadows from the chin, shirt, left arm, right arm, legs are all suggesting different direction of the light source. There are highlights on the nose and, oddly, cheeks that suggest yet another light source - but there are no highlights on the hair. As for the trees in the background... the ones on the right don't even appear green, even taking the fog into account. The color, too, does not suggest any distinct lighting: I suppose it's some sort of daylight, but it's neither sunny, nor gloomy, nor really foggy.

Those are the most crucial things. I see multiple little mistakes with anatomy and the like, too, but without good lighting and color that's not going to help much.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The things that I, personally, would fix are the inconsistent lighting and simplistic background.

There's nothing wrong with having a simplified, generalized background, but here it looks rather washed out. I suppose it is an attempt at aerial attenuation, but in reality that needs more distance and tends to turn things bluish, not white. Looks kinda like fog, but the overall impression is not that of a fog.

As for the lighting, there are numerous things here. The shadow of the boy is appearing and disappearing in illogical places. It is under the shins, but not under the knees. The shadows on the shirt are almost invisible, while the ones on the front of the rock are very dark - and much darker than the ones on top of the rock. The shadows from the chin, shirt, left arm, right arm, legs are all suggesting different direction of the light source. There are highlights on the nose and, oddly, cheeks that suggest yet another light source - but there are no highlights on the hair. As for the trees in the background... the ones on the right don't even appear green, even taking the fog into account. The color, too, does not suggest any distinct lighting: I suppose it's some sort of daylight, but it's neither sunny, nor gloomy, nor really foggy.

Those are the most crucial things. I see multiple little mistakes with anatomy and the like, too, but without good lighting and color that's not going to help much.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for your feedback!

I can see what you mean about the lighting, especially! I ended up changing the light-source a couple of times, and that really messed it up.
    It looks as if I really rushed the piece towards the end, heh? I was working on and off of it for so long that I seem to have just whizzed through it in the final couple of hours. I shall remember this and spend more time on my pictures until the end.

I really have no previous experience in doing any sort of background like this. Do you know any website/have any tips on where to get accurate reference for atmosphere? :o

Thanks you so much for the feedback!

p.s. Could anyone give 'red-lines' for the shadows? Or wouldn't that be possible? I was wondering because it would really help me a lot!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's not really "rushed", it's just not looking entirely right.

I can't say about web sites, but if you remember to look at how distant scenery appears in different weather and lighting conditions, you'll get it eventually. It needs to look plausible, not necessarily "accurate".

You might actually try adjusting the colors with a Photoshop filter, to make the grass look more like grass. That'd improve things somewhat, even as afterthought.

Can't spare time to redline right now, sorry. Maybe later, or someone else?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The problem is that you want to start at the top. What you need to be doing is working on your drawing skills, not painting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @arenhaus: okay! I'll start doing some research before start my paintings/drawings.
    And.. 'credible' over 'realistic', then?
    Thank you for your input.

@Jack the R: Could you be a little more precise? What would you advise me to practice the most?
    Thanks in advance.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.