Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Thanks

new sketches...

Devere -- Thanks for the comment. I try breaking up the tones geometrically but it's difficult to do that sometimes if you have very subtle lighting. Thats something I've noticed. I try to do some kind of painting everyday but it's hard to find the time.

Some more sketches I did yesterday. I think I was tired so some didn't come out as good as I thought. Some are from photos and others are from imagination.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

painting of a diet coke can...

This is a painting of a diet coke can I found lying around. I spent about an hour or 2 on it. Not sure when I started painting it. Enjoy.

Thanks

another coke can painting...

I painted the same coke can except this time it's in a different lighting situation. The lighting is much warmer than the painting above.

Thanks

Another painting study...

This is another still life I did today. I never painted a clear cup before and was a little nervous I wouldn't be able to paint it. I really need to stop being afraid of things because I think sometimes that I'm my own worst enemy. Comments and suggestions always welcome.

Thanks

a painting of a skull...

I bought an animal head skull about a year ago at a cool shop in Manhattan. For whatever reason, I never decided to draw or paint it before until now. Unfortunately, I can't remember if this is a dog skull or a fox skull. Anyway, I felt like painting something new. Surprisingly this was harder to paint than I thought. I only spent about a couple of hours on it. More sketches and work in progress stuff coming soon.

Thanks
    Hey. Your colour photoshop studies seem pretty nice! You are totally moving in the right direction.
    I think it would be useful to do some pencil still lifes to brush up on your medium skills, seeing as your pencils seem quite poor compared to your paints.
    Keep an eye on perspective too, I have seen a few little errors that bring your work down when them don't need to!
    As I said, good work, keep it up and have fun

My Sketchbook

frazmctag@gmail.com

Thanks
    your studies are good, but i agree with what some else said look more into your perspective, another thing -- as if you want another thing to think about, look into compostion when you do your still lifes. All lot of them just deal with the rendering, a thing in the middle and that's it maybe if you can overlap certain things, this can also help with perspective. well keep up the good work

Thanks

some sketches and things...

FraserMcT--Thanks for the comment. I don't think my pencils are poor. Sometimes my drawings aren't as good as I would like due to whatever reason but doing some still life's using pencil isn't a bad idea. I used to do still life's in pencil a lot in college so I don't really feel like doing them now. I'm really just focusing on painting. I know my perspective is off at times and I should probably pay more attention to it. The reason why I didn't as much is because they are mainly just painting studies to improve my rendering skills.

2kre8-- I agree I should pay more attention to my compositions. My main focus is to practice rendering so I didn't really want to think about composition because I don't have a lot of time during the day to paint. If I paint something, thinking about composition just adds more time which I don't have sometimes. When I do Illustration work, I really do focus on composition.

The stuff I'm posting below is some more drawings from my sketchbook and a painting of a face. I really didn't know what to do about the color so it looks a little odd and I'm also not entirely happy with the style I drew the face in. Enjoy.

Thanks

for some reason I couldn't load these a few minutes ago...

For some reason I couldn't load these last two images before. My internet froze on my or something.

Thanks

Just some more sketches...

Here are some drawings I did today. I'm gonna start doing some illustration work.

Thanks

i fixed some stuff....

I ended working on the two sketches from above. I still wasn't satisfied with them so I worked on it some more. More stuff coming soon.

Thanks
    Hi Istmin,

I like what I see here. You have a lot of natural talent and clearly want to improve as an artist.

I saw your question Magic Man's thread and read your comments here about feeling frustrated about your progress.

I can't speak to you as much of an artist...but I did once have aspirations to be a musician. I remember playing my guitar and trying to write songs. Even though I generally enjoyed it there would be many times I felt so frustrated and angry at my slow progress that I wanted to smash my guitar...LITERALLY!!

I have no idea why I kept going but I did. As I SLOWLY improved I played a few songs for friend's weddings and at church a few times...and eventually sang lead with a blues band.

When that band broke up it was during a big unplugged era so I thought about doing that.

One day I met a girl and trying to impress her I told her I was a musician. First thing she asked was "Where do you play?" I pulled a name of a club outa my head that I'd heard had "open mic" nights. So she said..."next time you play there let me know".

I spent the next week or so on running through 3 of my best songs to play/sing and arranged to have her meet me there.

With this shaky start I began playing music at open mics...and hey at least I was playing and singing somehere besides my living room. : )

Soon enough a coffee house owner asked me if I'd play 2 hours on a Thursday night. You bet! So it was a month or so of me practicing old songs and learning enough music to fill 2 hours.

Fast forward> My life as a musican continued like that. Never really sure what to do next...but doors opening...and me stepping through them.

I played all over in fern bars, coffee houses, private parties etc...and worked my way up to weekends, better clubs, more $$ etc too. As I got burned out playing solo...I started a few bands and we had some fun and made some $$. It was still frustrating at times and I didn't get rich in the 10 years I played music "professionally" but I paid the bills and had some fun...and best of all fullfilled some of my dream.

So why am I telling you all this? Somewhere along the line I got MUCH better as a musican, songwriter, and singer. It happened almost imperceptively.

There's a book by Malcom Gladwell called 10,000 hours...and he makes the case that the people who rise to the top...pro athletes, artists, musicians...EVERYONE who gets to the top of every fiield...has invested at least 10,000 hours. I have no idea if this is true or not...I just know that for me it took years and years to feel like I'd gotten a bit to where I'd always wanted to be.

So keep studying, keep drawing and know that there are a lot of other struggling artists who know exactly what you are going through...and more importantly you can be assured that you WILL get better!!

Hope this inspires and helps.

BTW...I'm applying the lessons I learned during those years to my art now and while I still feel frustration at times I also have more confidence about improving this time.

- A man diligent and skillful in his work will stand before kings -
    - All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty -

"You can't design what you don't know." Jeff Watts (as seen in Windmaker's SB)

Thanks

more progress...

Jephyr X ---Thanks for the kind comments and encouragement. I think just venting my feelings helps me out but I really thank you for taking the time and writing about your story. It def encourages me to continue.

I have been drawing a lot from Ken Hultgrens book on drawing animals. It's def a helpful book about drawing form so if anyone is interested I would def check it out. I did a lot of drawings today but I don't really have the time to scan them all so I ended up working more on the sketch from above. I painted the character on the right a little bit more. I know I keep saying this but I def need to do some illustration work. Comments and suggestions always welcome.

Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 21