Sketchbook: My first sketchbook... - Page 9

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Some more progress of the last character...

Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook Mr.Pryminista. I'm going through a lot of things in my life right now so I'm doing the best I can with the time I have. I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing because I have been seeing progress and I'm feeling more confident with myself.

Here is more progress of the character design from yesterday.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Finished character

This is the character pretty much finished.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really interesting character on the last post. Love how you coloured the metal, though his legs are still a bit rough, but anyways- keep up the good work mate!

Take a look? - Sketchbook - Tumblr - Etsy
    Also, why not check these guys too?

Krysjez - Clur
    Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

a new character design...

Thanks Naidy. Yea I should prob work more on the finishing up the legs. I guess I got tired of working on it.

Anyway, this is another character I'm working on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, I decided to redraw the character above because I feel like she is too stiff right now. More updates to come soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I ended up redrawing the image above...

I ended up redrawing the drawing above because I felt like the drawing was very stiff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I notice that I generally have proportion issues at times when I'm drawing something from my head. I really don't get why I'm still having these problems. I have been studying anatomy for a really long time but yet when I still draw from memory, I feel like at times, things still don't completely stick. Am I doomed? I really don't know how to resolve this issue.

Like, right now, I notice her head is slightly too big which I've actually revised and I'm still not completely satisfied with her arms yet. Any advice? Should I just give up now? lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

third attempt....

Here is my third attempt at the character above.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay before people say anything, I know there is something wrong with her eyes. I should really fix my problems first before posting. I think I'm becoming to obsessed with this site at an unhealthy level. I might be taking a break from here for a while.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

more progress....

Still fixing anatomy issues with this character. Here is more progress...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Istmin52 View Post
    I notice that I generally have proportion issues at times when I'm drawing something from my head. I really don't get why I'm still having these problems. I have been studying anatomy for a really long time but yet when I still draw from memory, I feel like at times, things still don't completely stick. Am I doomed? I really don't know how to resolve this issue.

Like, right now, I notice her head is slightly too big which I've actually revised and I'm still not completely satisfied with her arms yet. Any advice? Should I just give up now? lol

In response to this, I would say that it's pretty normal for someone to have proportional problems, or any number of other anatomical issues, especially when trying to draw from your head. Most seasoned pros still rely on as much reference material as possible, and not just for the figure, but for vehicles, guns armor, everything.
    You can't rely on memory alone. If you want to strengthen your ability to draw from your imagination, drawing a lot from life, is the advice most people would give. I agree, with that also. A helpful exercise I find, is to do some studies from Bridgman, Hogarth, Loomis ,any of the Renaissance masters, or whomever you want to study, and really pay attention to the original. Don't just copy, study! The second part of the exercise, is to do the same study, without any reference except for your memory.
    Do this several times. Do it until you are getting really close to the original, and then keep doing it. You can do this with other things as well: still life objects, your front yard, self-portraits (that's a really good exercise!), it's up to you.
    I also agree with Mr. Pryminista, that you should do the studies multiple times in a row. You'll go through a ton of sketchpad paper (that's why I use A4 copy paper), but it's worthwhile.
    Keep it up! You're making progress, and gaining confidence along the way.

"Try not. Do or do not!! There is no try"
    -Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

zombifried's sketchbook
    zombifried's sculpture thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

another attempt...

Here is another attempt. I feel like I'm slowly regaining some of my confidence.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

more revisions...

Some more revisions to the character above. My life story it seems.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

something new...

Here is a new character I started on. It's a revision of an older character I posted on here before. I'm also still working on the character I posted above. Enjoy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

some progress...

This is some progress so far. I'm gonna keep working on it in black and white a little more until I start adding color.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice characters. I can see that you're making progress. Keep it up!

My Website / My Sketchbook / My DeviantArt

Garlunk|Human|lvl07|pvp00|E0|Siren's Well
    Tomyris|Mystical|lvl02|pvp00|E0|Killrog's Palace
    PAINT HAMMER! The Art Making RPG!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good studies!!! One critique would be your digital paintings, you need to work on value, most of you paintings are very flat, also you color scheme is boring, use better colors, add highlights. Also use dodge that should also help. If you want you should study other artist, or go to youtube and watch some tutorials, I found that FZD's were really helpful. Keep it up, and don't get down, just keep on practicing and you'll definitely get better!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! I just wanted to say thanks for checking out my SB, and for the nice comments. I really liked the studies that you've done, you need to keep those up, because I can definately see your improvement over time. I also have to agree with Zombifried up there too. Alot of my stuff is just from imagination. It always would feel like a chore to draw something in front of me, but now that I feel i am starting to get the knack for it, I feel that I could draw just about anything. Those studies are really going to help you, and me too. Keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing more from you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

more progress....

Thanks everyone for the comments.

I'm going to start adding color to this character soon. Just thought I would post some more progress.

Also here is a quick painting study of my office I did yesterday morning and some more progress on my other character.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, thanks for visiting my SB.

Couple things to watch out for:

- avoid fine, scratchy brushstrokes, they are just not pleasing to the eye.

- You're using a pretty dark, fat brush to do your drawing.

For the ideal effect you may want to do your drawing on paper and then scan / photograph it.
    Alternatively, a good idea can be to knock down the boldness of your sketch by first dropping a
    70% fill with your background color. Or, better yet, put your sketch on a separate layer from
    your painting/rendering.

- a common problem: dull colors in paintings. Easy to fix, though. Just bump up the saturation
    on your palette choices. Don't color-pick, either, it really doesn't give good results, most of the time.

- work on making your anatomy more naturalistic. Do lots of studies from ref. You may want to
    get some books of art models. The CD that comes with those books is an invaluable resource
    ...unless you have naked friends and a large turntable

Keep it up, you're doing tons of work, and it will pay off.

sketchbook...a kitten dies every time you don't comment

“When forced to work within a strict framework,
    the imagination is taxed to its utmost – and will
    produce its richest ideas. Given total freedom,
    the work is likely to sprawl.”

- TS Eliot

Bloooooooog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BludHund -- I know I shouldn't be defensive about this but I am doing lots of studies especially on anatomy and the figure. I just haven't posted those in a while. I understand it's an ongoing issue but I'm sick and tired of hearing it. I have been working really hard on my anatomy and the fact that people keep saying that to me makes me realize that maybe there is no point anymore in trying because no matter what I will always have anatomy problems. On the last post, I don't necessarily see any major anatomy problems. I do know the hand needs some work for the first character but overall, I thought the anatomy looked good.

I do agree about you with my line work and I'm starting to work on not using muddy colors in my paintings.

I guess anatomy is a really senstive subject with me because when people tell me that I should do this and that, those are actually the things I am doing so it's like, can't people tell that's what I'm doing. Wtf?

The main point of this site is to also get encouragement and I haven't seen much of it lately. I'm really at the breaking point. How much harder do I have to work? It's getting ridiculous. Maybe I should stop posting or post my work on another forum site to get other peoples reaction because I'm really getting tired of it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Duuuuude. Settle down. When there are droves of people telling you to work on anatomy A) those people are being helpful not hurtful (it would be much easier for them to just pop in and say "hey nice sb!") and B) there's a chance that you really do need to work more on anatomy. I mean if a ton of people look at your work and say "anatomy", there may be something to it.

Here's the thing about making progress: It takes a LONG fuckin' time! Seriously, mostly you won't even feel it and you'll look back and be like "oh wait I am a little better now" and also you'll be more aware of what you don't know; so you're stuff will still look dumpy to you and you'll still want to make more progress.

What you gotta do is not necessarily work harder, just work smarter. What kind of anatomy studies are you doing? What kind of figure exercises are you doing? Sit for a second and think about the human body. Can you draw most of the bones well from imagination? Can you draw most of the muscles' origins and insertions? What about proportions, do you know the standard relationships well? You gotta get back in there and try to memorize that stuff. Study study, then test your knowledge. Now, I can't comment on your studies because you aren't posting them, but if you're working your ass off and not getting the results that you want, you gotta change what you're doing. Maybe the problem isn't actual anatomical knowledge but your understanding of the forms. Maybe you need to work from life and photos to beef that up.

Don't get discouraged, man. People don't necessarily know what you're busting your ass with or not. They just see your work and try to give you good advice. Try to feel good about it; at least you know you're studying the right thing.

Just remember that results are not instantaneous and you really have to stick with it to get to where you want to be.

I dunno, we're all trying to help you here and no one wants to discourage you. Maybe what you need is to reevaluate what you like about art. Spend a few days just seeking out and absorbing the type of art you really thing is amazingly badass. Then try to make that stuff. As you go you'll see where your weak spots are, and it'll be easier to study and improve when you can directly apply it to what you want to do; rather than doing anatomy studies out of context. Maybe then you'll make the progress you want. Something I've noticed is that you best learn things by doing them directly. Just make the stuff you want, and solve the problems as you go.

Last edited by NickTrip; December 19th, 2010 at 11:37 AM.
    My Website / My Sketchbook / My DeviantArt

Garlunk|Human|lvl07|pvp00|E0|Siren's Well
    Tomyris|Mystical|lvl02|pvp00|E0|Killrog's Palace
    PAINT HAMMER! The Art Making RPG!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to NickTrip For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks NickTrip. I actually have been reevaluating why I'm doing this in the first place and I've taken a little bit of time off to reevaluate myself and what my interests are. I'll be posting again soon.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Istmin52 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty much agree with what NickTrip said, just throwing my two cents:

I´ve been studying anatomy for a few years now, and I´m still not pleased with it, even though its a main subject in my studies and doodles. And I got really, really discouraged bunch of times, but in the end I always look at it like this: We can be drawing or painting many things, but the most complicated and sophisticated subject will always be a human. So when you master human, you pretty much mastered it all. So yeah, its a long road and painfull sometimes but hey, the payoff is FRIGGIN sweet.

Okay, some things you won´t learn by drawing people, but your perception of planes, structure, colors, and perspective will be somewhere else.

Hope this helps mate, keep on going!
    Oh and thanks for stopping by my SB btw, much appreciated!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

a page of doodles...

Thanks Mr. Smile. I think the main issue I have is that I'm getting older and I really need a full time job yet I haven't applied anywhere because my work I don't feel is strong enough. It's honestly just getting really annoying.

I took some time off and I started drawing again. I think for me, my problems are sometimes psychological so it affects my drawing ability. I also wasn't enjoying it either because I was getting too obsessed with it.

Anyway, here is a page of some doodles. Enjoy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Please feel free to ignore me.

If I may say: my advice to you was in order of priority. I really
    think that your line/brushstroke quality is what will hold you back
    right now. Its also something that's really hard to get right on a
    tablet IMO. So you maybe do your sketching stages on paper.

On anatomy: it is an endless endless subject. Few people ever
    master it completely and it can take literally years of hard work
    before you see any real payoff.

Don't look at it as struggle, look at it as long and complex story that
    you can never finish reading. Draw inspiration from it. That said:

- Proportion is more important than structure and structure is more
    important than anatomy.

- I never said that your anatomy is crap

- Improving your control of line and brushstroke will enormously
    help you on proportions and structure.

Its not healthy to vent your (definitely natural) frustration on people
    who comment on your thread. If people come and give you advice you
    don't like, thank them politely and then ignore their advice.

I do it all the time

"I think for me, my problems are sometimes psychological so it affects
    my drawing ability. I also wasn't enjoying it either because I was getting
    too obsessed with it."

Yeah I feel that way most of the time unfortunately.

One thing I can say is that your drawing will always suffer unless you can
    relax. Being rushed or nervous will kill you every time. Before beginning
    to work each day, take as much time you need to focus and calm yourself...
    whatever it takes, music, breathing exercises, meditation, a walk, a nap,
    or a hot shower

on employment: art education takes waaay longer than anyone in todays
    society really recognizes...like ten years or so, not the typical four years
    that can get you an engineering degree or something. Realize that you just
    have to take all the time you need. Find a job that will pay the bills and
    not stress you out to much. You're not a slacker, you're and artist

anyways:

BE ENCOURAGED

Last edited by BludHund; January 4th, 2011 at 09:09 PM.
    sketchbook...a kitten dies every time you don't comment

“When forced to work within a strict framework,
    the imagination is taxed to its utmost – and will
    produce its richest ideas. Given total freedom,
    the work is likely to sprawl.”

- TS Eliot

Bloooooooog

30. The Following User Says Thank You to BludHund For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

some studies...

Thanks BludHund. Sorry for going on a rant before. Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Anyway, here are some figure drawings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

a new character....

Here is a new character I started working on. I will force myself to actually finish it this time. I will also draw it from different angles.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man nice sketchbook so far, id say doing more studies is probably the best thing u can do it this stage, the ones u did so far look great. keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

some progress...

Thanks Jesus Food.

Here is some more progress.

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts