Page 7 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: My first sketchbook...

Thanks
    nice work so far. try and make the canvas a mid dark when doing greycale images otherwise evrything will be compared to white and it´ll end up looking flat.
    keep it up
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Lav -- I don't normally use reference when I draw animals but this time I used some reference for the head but not the body. I need to do more studies on bodies though. I know the general anatomy of an animal and I basically started with learning the muscles of the horse so I basically apply that to other animals. It's sometimes difficult because I might get a little confused. Obviously I over-exaggerated the muscles of the cat. lol
    DK_sketch -- Thanks for the tip. I'll try that next time.

This is a sketch I was working on for fun. I ended up using some reference for the cats face and I used some reference when I initially started painting it. I found a picture of a hairless cat that I based it off of. I think using more reference in my work is helping me remember the features of a cat more. I don't know why but it's working. I'm not completely satisfied with the color yet. I guess I should play around with it some more.

More to come soon...

Thanks

another value study...

another value study. Not so happy with how this came out. I spent about an hour on it.
    Last edited by Istmin52; April 19th, 2010 at 03:46 PM. Reason: I forgot to load the image

Thanks
    Studies! They're looking good dude just keep at it, it's the fastest way to learn. You should try and get a stronger value range in your life paintings, and try some in color when you get the chance.

Thanks

more progress on the cat thing....

Jasper-- Thanks. I have been doing color still lives also in my other posts. I just haven't on this page specifically. Yea studies are important but if I can't incorporate it into my illustrations than that is a problem.

Here is more work done on the cat I posted a couple of days ago.

I ended up using more texture brushes on this one. It's something I don't usually do. This took me a long time to actually paint and I don't get why it took so long. I struggled with getting the values right on this but I think I pulled it off. My favorite part of this is the ears. lol. They also took the least amount of time and I had some good reference for them. I just generally have a difficult time finding reference for something really specific. Does anyone else have that problem? That's why I have to generally rely on my knowledge from memory to do the things I want. How do you end up getting the exact reference you want? Any ideas?

Thanks

some stuff ive done...

I know I haven't updated in a while and I have my reasons. Anyway, that doesn't mean I wasn't doing anything. Just haven't had a chance to post anything. Here is some sketches and stuff. Enjoy!

Thanks
    Hey,man,You are very hard-working!please keep it up!

Thanks

a still life...

LAL -- Thanks.

Didn't have much time today so I did a quick painting. I spent about an hour and a half on it. Painting the yamaka was a bit of a challenge. It seems very shiny compared to other objects that I've painted.

Thanks

a painting of tinfoil wrapped around some old food...

I was debating what I should paint today and I opened up my fridge and found some old garlic knots wrapped around in tinfoil. Since I've never painted tinfoil before, I figured I give it a shot. It was pretty challenging to paint because there are so many little shapes that the tinfoil creates. It took me about a couple of hours to get this far. I could have spent more time on it but I didn't have the time. More stuff to come soon...

Thanks

some stuff

Hey everyone. I guess the reason why I haven't been updating as much is because I noticed that when I would upload 3 times in one day, I wouldn't get any comments. I just decided to post whenever I feel like it but that doesn't mean I'm slacking off. Here is some more stuff. Enjoy

Thanks

some more stuff...

I'm not sure why I keep posting on here. I don't seem to be getting many comments these days. I guess I'm not as active commenting on other sketchbooks either. I've been pretty busy with some personal stuff which takes time out of my art. But as an observation on myself, I've noticed that I've had a big breakthrough between the last couple of posts. I really feel like I'm finally getting somewhere by being consistent and hard working. I feel like it's really paying off and I'm achieving more of a level of finish that I'm going for. I'm curious to here other opinions about my progress. Anyway, here is some more work. I'm really liking the alien dude with the pink mohawk so I decided to work on it a little bit more. There are also some anatomy studies. Enjoy!

Thanks
    hai!
    don't get discouraged if you don't seem to be getting some comments. I for example check your sketchbook everytime it's updated but don't always have much to say.
    I like that you're doing more human anatomy studies, your creatured may have different or exagurated porportions but if you understand the basic human anatomy really well, your "deformed" creatures will look more natural as well (i really like the one on the bottom of post 89)
    So keep it up cause your progress is good

Thanks

some stuff

Thanks for the comment Lav.

Here is some stuff I've been doing. One is a self portrait (Although I should have picked a better photo of myself. lol), some are anatomy studies and the other one is just a random doodle.

Page 7 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast