Page 6 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: My first sketchbook...

Thanks
    hey man, your life paintings are really starting to look strong. as a whole your value and color seem to really be coming along, keep doing whatever you are doing there because it's working! also, keep cracking away at the anatomy. i hope u dont mind a little crit, it's just that anatomy seems to be an area where you struggle a bit. proportions and whatnot. keep it up.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

just another doodle...

PermaN00b Thanks for commenting on my sketchbook. I have been working on anatomy for years and I don't really see the problems that you are seeing. If you're referring to the character with the red hair, I was playing around with the proportions. I have been studying anatomy on my own for a long time and I'm still studying it on and off for a while. At this point I feel like I'm not really sure how to improve that because I feel like I've improved a lot in the past couple of years. I don't really feel like I struggle with anatomy but maybe I distort it too much. I don't know. I basically feel like, if people still feel like I struggle with it, so be it. There isn't much I can do about it at this point. Sorry for being a little touchy about this but I honestly don't know what else to do other than what I'm doing now and if that's not working than I honestly don't know what to do.

Anyway, this is another doodle I've been playing around with on and off for the past couple of days. I really need to do some finished illustrations soon.

Thanks
    For some reason, this didn't load the first time so I'm posting a comment so it shows up in the sketchbook section.

Thanks
    Very nice sketchbook. You have a very solid understanding of how values work as far as I can tell. Your colors could use some improvement, however. I recommend starting out with a much darker and saturated mid-tone, should help make the painting process a bit easier.

Thanks

A value study and more...

cgaddict Thanks for the advice. I'll try doing that next time I paint.

The first one is a value study I did which I spent about an hour one. The other one was testing how well I can figure out how this face would look from different angles. I found the photo online and did a 3/4 view and side view. I feel like I should work on drawing people from the side view more because I don't usually draw people from the side. The last one is more progress on the doodle I was working on before. I'm just having some fun with it. I should probably paint more people with clothes on. lol. I had a bit of trouble with it but I used some reference for the shirt.

Thanks

just some doodles I did last night

This was some stuff I was playing around with last night. I felt like posting it. Enjoy!

Thanks
    cool updates. Your proportions is reminding me of circus freaks, especially the one in post #64. Have you ever seen the b/w movie "freaks"? Reminds me a lot of that
    I'd play around with skin tones a bit more if i were you, but i think you have cool designs

Thanks

Another value study...

LavThanks for the comment. I'll definitely check the movie out. I've never heard of it before.

I felt like doing another value study of all white objects. I find it a bit challenging, especially when you have several objects that are all white. In Jason Manleys Color Theory video stream, he mentioned this as a value exercise. First to paint objects that are all white on a white background of some sort. Then do the same thing but with all gray objects on a gray background and finally black on black. I'm going to do another white on white value painting and then I'll try doing a gray on gray one.

Thanks

just some face studies...

I felt like doing some face studies. i'll probably do more tomorrow.

Thanks

some more face studies...

I think the problem I might be having is that I'm getting a little too obsessed and I might need to cut back a little bit. Doing too much art I notice burns me out or makes me more frustrated. I'm not sure. After taking a little break I feel a bit more refreshed and I'm struggling as much. Here are some more face studies and face paintings from my head.

Thanks

some face studies....

I decided to do some face studies again. I'm realizing that I'm not doing certain things in my paintings from memory when I'm painting faces. This has def been helpful. These were done from a movie. Can you guess which movie is it?

Thanks

just a late night doodle....

This is a late night doodle that I did just now. Any thoughts or comments about my work in general would be great. Thanks.

Thanks
    i like how you're drawing your cat, do you use reference of pictures to draw the animal stuff in your work?
    And nice face studies as well, keep doing them cant guess the movie tho

Page 6 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast