Sketchbook: My first sketchbook... - Page 4

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

some stuff

Thanks for the comment Lav.

Here is some stuff I've been doing. One is a self portrait (Although I should have picked a better photo of myself. lol), some are anatomy studies and the other one is just a random doodle.

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

just doodling a face

This is just a doodle of a face and playing around with texture brushes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

something new...

Hi guys. Sorry I haven't updated in a while. I've been in the process of building up a web design portfolio and updating my graphic design portfolio. I haven't been lazy or given up so don't worry. While I'm still collecting unemployment, I want to get a job offer sometime soon that's full time. I've also been applying to jobs lately and this way, showing employers other websites besides my own will def help and it is something I never had before but I wish I had in the past. Yes, I would like a job in the illustration field doing concept art or something related but I still need to redo my entire illustration portfolio.
    The way I see it is that once I update my website with my graphic design stuff, I can at least look for those jobs while I continue to pursue my illustration career. When I at least get a stable job that pays me descent money, it will also take off a lot of stress which I think will help. Unfortunately, graphic design are where the jobs are and the more diverse I am, the better. Maybe people disagree or not. I'm not sure. What are your thoughts on this?

If you are curious to see what I've been doing, you can click here:

http://www.iantopple.com/SimmiSampleSite.swf

The website is almost finished. I used Flash and Actionscript 3.0 as well as some PHP. I just need to fix a couple of things. I'm pretty happy with how it's turning out and I even made a contact form for the first time! I finally got it working last night!

This is also another site I'm trying to finish that uses CSS and HTML.

http://www.iantopple.com/Dads%20New%...orrectone.html

I'm hoping to update my website by the end of this week.

Pasted below is another doodle I started yesterday. Just playing around with shapes and seeing what I come up with. See ya!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 643 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey sir, you're improving for sure but if anything holds you back it'll be having the wrong attitude. I don't think you actually have the wrong attitude, and it sure can be fixed but it's good for you to know this early.

Remember art is your passion. You draw, paint, create to express what's in your mind and free your imagination. Not a race to see how fast you can improve. Trust me, I know from experience that once you start enjoying it you will improve with lightening speed.

Do you know why?

Simple, because the more you love it, the more passion you have for it = more art. Simple right? but it takes a while to hit you.

Please please please, take some time out and reflect on why you do art. Make yourself totally fall in love with it and if you want to REALLY improve.

Draw everyday. For 21 days, draw every single damn day! Do at least a finished drawing a day. Be it a study or imagination piece. Put in 1 hour minimum. After 21 days it'll become habit.

If you take this to heart then Im sure you'll go far

Take care and best of luck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lilnebo --- Thanks for the comment. But I don't really understand what you mean. First of all, I have been drawing everyday until recently actually because I've been trying to build up on my graphic/web design portfolio because it suddenly hit me that I need to find a full time position before my unemployment benefits run out. Otherwise I have been drawing and painting everyday like crazy. If you haven't noticed my postings on here, I would post something almost everyday. It just slowed down recently but that doesn't mean that I'm not keeping myself busy.
    And I do enjoy painting and drawing. I don't know what else I would do otherwise if I couldn't do that. But I will agree that sometimes I can be a little bit hard on myself and negative at times but when I start drawing I feel more relaxed and I'm glad you noticed my improvement. That def means a lot and it's telling me that I'm on the right track. I definitely feel like I'm heading in the right direction. It goes up and down sometimes but I'm generally feeling more confident with myself when I start drawing. I just need to start making more finished illustrations soon.
    It's just that I get older, I'm putting more pressure on myself because I need to improve fast to get a job. I want to live on my own and be independent. It's just very frustrating that I'm not at the place I want to be right now.
    I also have other interests. I started writing recently and have also been trying to write everyday. Even if it's just 10-20 minutes a day. I'm trying to write something. I have a lot of ideas I want to flesh out.
    My parents are also getting divorced and it's putting me in a tough position because I have to help my mom out and it's making me a bit depressed. It's also taking some of my free time away. It's just a really crappy situation to be in.
    I guess I'm just hoping something good comes out of this.

On a positive note, I finally updated my graphic design page on my website today! It's been needing an update for quite sometime now. Now I need to update my illustration page which is something I will def start on. You guys can check out my website. It's http://www.iantopple.com The graphic design page has mostly new images which I think are an improvement of what I have before.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

doing a photoshop tutorial...

I was in Borders today and I ended buying Photoshop Essentials magazine which has over 20 tutorials and teaches you techniques that professionals use in their own work. It was a bit expensive but I decided to buy it because I have been looking to improve on my photoshop skills and feel a little limited sometimes or I feel like I want to take some of my work to the next level but I'm not sure how. I did one tutorial today that took about 2 hours. I really didn't expect it to take this long but it's to create a dramatic lighting effect. It's actually good for me because it makes me use certain techniques and tools that I wouldn't normally use. The bottom image is what I came up with. I still need to tweak the technic but I'm def going to use this in future work. Also posted is another still life. I prob spent about 45 minutes on it. I have mixed feelings about it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

another photoshop tutorial...

This is another photoshop tutorial I did today from the photoshop essentials magazine I bought yesterday. This one was playing around with masks and images. This is a technique I can def use in the future. It's really cool what you can do with some simple masking. With the ball I made, I ended up painting it with the burn and dodge tools. I'd prefer using the regular brushes for something like this. Anyway, more to come soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

a sketch...

This is a sketch I was playing around with. I'm starting to like how it's coming out. Just felt like posting it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey istmin, nice updates

i have a few suggestions for your site tho. It's with good intentions so i hope it'll help you
    First off, at the loading screen. When you use something like flash you can work vectorbased, the main positive thing about it is that if you work with vectors you can always rescale without losing quality. Perhaps you should rethink what you're gonna use for the preload so you can make it dynamicly adjust to the screen size of the user (because right now, on my screen it looked like a different frame at the left of my screen). Also when you're loading it for the first time it takes really long. You might want to see if you cant load everything more efficiently to make it faster. Because unfortunately people usually lose their interest if it doesnt load within 8 seconds
    On the site itself, i like how you're working with that illustrated guy. It shows personality. But i would rethink the menu. It just 'floats' there and the mouse over animation with the ball is a bit outdated to be honest. Also, people read website in an F shape (if that makes any sense) and you've put your main menu bar on the bottom. I would try to keep the both menu's more together (for example have a menu item "portfolio" or "work" and then a submenu with a dropdown from there with "illustrations" "comics" etc). It's jsut an example but you can still make it unique and your own style, but it would at leats be better organised that way.
    I like how you're working with your gallery, it makes it very easy to navigate through, that's very good.

Also, i get an error when clicking on links and when i close the site during the preloader

However, I really like the style of your artwork, keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

more progress....

So after working on this after a while, I realized I needed to redraw it. (so annoying). So I ended up doing a drawing on top of some of the render I already started.

Lav -- Thanks for the comment. I was actually curious what people thought of my graphic design work and some of the web site samples I posted a couple of posts ago. If you scroll through, you'll see what I mean. But yea, I agree about the loading time. I might redesign my website using html, css and some flash instead of all of it in Flash. But the thing is I did test it on several different computers before and the loading time wasn't too bad before. It's just really frustrating because I don't necessarily have time to completely redesign my website again. I need that time to do other things.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

more progress and a very old character design I created way back when...

So I have more progress of the character I'm working on. The below image is actually from about 2.5 - 3 years ago. I can't believe it's been that long and I feel really weird posting something I did that's really, really old. I designed this character a long time ago and I decided to redesign and improve it. More to come soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it's cool to see those two together, the new and old one. Eventho it's 3 years old, you've really improved. There's something a bit off with the shoulder/neck tho, just a small detail, but maybe the neck could start more closer to the right shoulder (left to us).
    Or maybe it's just me, i could be wrong :p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

rough painting and more progress on the character...

Lav -- Yea I've actually been struggling with that part of the character. I think I fixed it but I'm not sure. I almost wasn't going to post my really old drawing but it's pretty amazing even to me that I drew that about 3 years ago.

Last night I did a quick painting of a vacuum cleaner extension I saw for about 20 minutes. I have no idea why I did that. I was really tired too. Here is also some more progress of the character I'm working on.

And some good news, I ended up getting an interview next week for a full time junior graphic design position close by to my house. Wish me luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

sorry I haven;t updated in a couple of days...

I've been pretty busy lately improving and adding some more graphic design work into my portfolio so I haven't worked on this too much. I worked on this a little bit today as a break from graphic design. I downloaded some cool brushes at
    http://www.brusheezy.com and I was testing them out.

More to come soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

some stuff...

Sorry I haven't updated in a couple of days. I've been preparing for the interview I had today. It went okay. They liked my work. Unfortunately, they are looking for someone with more retail and consumer experience which I don't have. I guess I'll see what happens. Anyway here are some more updates.

I'm almost done with the character and I was experimenting with a creature concept. Enjoy!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

some figure drawing

Some figure drawing for a change.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

some sketches

Just some sketches I'm gonna start completing possibly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

an update...

Starting painting one of the characters from the previous sketch.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

stuff

I'm working more on this character and trying to bring it to a finish.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

more progress on character design...

Here is more progress on the character design. I think I'm making some progress on this thing. What do you guys think?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

rough painting from today

This is an ear piece I used to use for my cell phone. I felt like painting it today. I spent about a half hour on it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

more progress

I've been making a lot of progress on this. I should be finished with this pretty soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

another painting study...

This is a quick painting study I did. Spent about 20 minutes. Just something simple.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I think it's finished...

So here is the finished character finally. I might work a little bit more on it but in general, I think it's finished. Time to move on to something else. Any thoughts or comments always helpful. Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

new character design...

This is a new character design I started today. Hopefully I'll finish this one soon. Let me know what you think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Istmin,

Glad to see that you've posted many times. It is definitely more than me when I let life get in the way of my art.

Old Me.
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...00#post1972000

The comments that people are giving you about anatomy that you dont (or didnt) understand, I think I can clarify if you dont mind. I'm just simply trying to be constructive here.

When you are drawing from memory, your poses, and faces seem to be very similar when compared to one another. Almost like you are drawing the same face. I did the exact same thing. I think its quite common actually. I was glad to so you dive into some more anatomy studies and some more facial studies. But definitely do some more. You will keep improving.

The heads in many of your drawings are leaning forward from the neck, although the faces are up and down. Though I assume that your doing this for the creepy factor, along side the often elongated forearms. But like you were saying, if you were aiming for creepy style, then brother you nailed it. I think these features are the ones that your peers are commenting on but not mentioning specifically.

Your figures legs seem a little slapped on, or absent, in most of your humanoid figures. But I can say this, your women are looking more like women and men more like men. Knock out some more legs.

My favorite thing are the sketches with the dogs poses. Those seem the most natural to me. I think that you still might be figuring out what is your best process for making art in general. I finally realized that I love using a pencil and then rendering with it, and hardly ever putting it into photoshop. To speed up posting I started just taking pictures on the iphone, because they were just sketches after all. "Mind Poops", as people around here seem to say.

When I am not motivated by my progress I visit MindCandyMan sketchbook, Miles sketchbook, algenpfelger (spelling?). Anyway they are some of the most viewed sketchbooks on CA, that span years of work, and miles of improvement.

<----On this note, you are way braver than me to dive into still life painting like that. I am just to lazy/scared to start messing up all over again in a new area called "color". Gives me the heebeejeebies.

And yes, this shit does burn you out. Take a week off. Watch a movie. Waste hours of work looking at other peoples sketchbooks (yours truly) I too wish that I was somewhere else in my art career at 26. But look at CryptCrawler, he says he's almost 40, and has been working on his style for 12 years. And he's in magazines and has his own MB download. That this is motivating to me brother.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also, don't forget to maybe add a little bit of drop shadow on the floar, so your characters don't seem to float around
    Nice updates tho

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

more progress

Philosiflo and Lav -- Thanks for the comments. I think I understand what you mean Philosiflo. Anatomy has always been an issue for me for some reason but I'd to think that I've gotten better at it and it will be something I will continue to work on. Actually I downloaded CryptCrawlers video tutorial and his story is pretty inspiring. I've picked up some useful techniques from watching his videos.

Here is more progress on the character I'm working on. I'm hoping to finish this soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Another study....

This is another study. I think I figured out a way to paint leaves and bushes in photoshop because that is always something I kind struggled with before. Usually they appear like globs of shapes but I like the texture I was able to create. I'm going to play around with this more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm ive noticed that your life drawing stuff seems to be more advance then your memory stuff. Its weird because for me its the other way around which is uncommon i think? haha

Anyway dont worry about getting comments so much dude i dont get many either haha thx for stopping by btw What ive noticed is that the better you are the more comments you get, so use the amount of comments as an idea of how well your doing haha.

I cant really give u any crits because your better then me but keep pushing and try to learn something in everything you draw, try to understand how everything works because if you can understand something you take away the mystery and it becomes easy to draw.

"The whole point of practice is to do it until you can do it right." - dpaint

DA

Sketch Book

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department