Sketchbook: My first sketchbook... - Page 3

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A painting study and something out of my head

Steffler Thanks for commenting back on my sketchbook. I feel like I'm getting a better understanding of light and form by doing the painting studies and I feel like I'm starting to really see my potential. (If that makes any sense)

Today I felt like doing a value study of all white objects and something out of my head. I had a bit of trouble with the value study. I spent about an hour and a half on it but I really suck at drawing ellipses so I guess that's something I can work on. I also noticed some subtle tones with one of the caps and I feel like it's still a bit flat. Doing this was harder than I thought.

Doing the other piece was fun but it's only in black and white. I'll eventually add color to it because I feel like adding color usually adds more contrast after I do a black and white painting. I also notice that I'm getting better at painting hair. I always had trouble in the past but I feel like I'm getting the hang of it. I looked at some reference from my last doodle I did which is in the horse study a couple of posts back to get the idea. Any thoughts and comments always welcome. Thanks.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

some more stuff...

Here is some more stuff I did. One is a still life of a skull key chain I found. It was actually hard to paint because there was a lot of subtle tones in it and there wasn't a lot of light hitting it.

The other is a sketch I've been painting. I did a grayscale version of it in the above post.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

more updates....

I ended up playing around with the sketch I've been painting, just having fun with it and playing around with it and not taking it too seriously. Also just some doodles.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

another painting...

Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to finish this but I spent about an hour and a half on it. I wish I could spend another hour on it but I have to make dinner. This was another tough one to paint. More to come soon...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A painting study and some more progress of the female character

Today I did a painting of an office building near where I work. I know my perspective is off and I should have spent some time fixing it but I mainly just wanted to paint it. I noticed this building is generally in the grayish yellow orange/grayish blue. Not really that much color in the building. I always find painting buildings a challenge so I should probably paint more of them.

I also worked more on the sketch from above. I'm probably going to move on from it and start to work on something else. Enjoy!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, your life paintings are really starting to look strong. as a whole your value and color seem to really be coming along, keep doing whatever you are doing there because it's working! also, keep cracking away at the anatomy. i hope u dont mind a little crit, it's just that anatomy seems to be an area where you struggle a bit. proportions and whatnot. keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

just another doodle...

PermaN00b Thanks for commenting on my sketchbook. I have been working on anatomy for years and I don't really see the problems that you are seeing. If you're referring to the character with the red hair, I was playing around with the proportions. I have been studying anatomy on my own for a long time and I'm still studying it on and off for a while. At this point I feel like I'm not really sure how to improve that because I feel like I've improved a lot in the past couple of years. I don't really feel like I struggle with anatomy but maybe I distort it too much. I don't know. I basically feel like, if people still feel like I struggle with it, so be it. There isn't much I can do about it at this point. Sorry for being a little touchy about this but I honestly don't know what else to do other than what I'm doing now and if that's not working than I honestly don't know what to do.

Anyway, this is another doodle I've been playing around with on and off for the past couple of days. I really need to do some finished illustrations soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For some reason, this didn't load the first time so I'm posting a comment so it shows up in the sketchbook section.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice sketchbook. You have a very solid understanding of how values work as far as I can tell. Your colors could use some improvement, however. I recommend starting out with a much darker and saturated mid-tone, should help make the painting process a bit easier.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A value study and more...

cgaddict Thanks for the advice. I'll try doing that next time I paint.

The first one is a value study I did which I spent about an hour one. The other one was testing how well I can figure out how this face would look from different angles. I found the photo online and did a 3/4 view and side view. I feel like I should work on drawing people from the side view more because I don't usually draw people from the side. The last one is more progress on the doodle I was working on before. I'm just having some fun with it. I should probably paint more people with clothes on. lol. I had a bit of trouble with it but I used some reference for the shirt.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

just some doodles I did last night

This was some stuff I was playing around with last night. I felt like posting it. Enjoy!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool updates. Your proportions is reminding me of circus freaks, especially the one in post #64. Have you ever seen the b/w movie "freaks"? Reminds me a lot of that
    I'd play around with skin tones a bit more if i were you, but i think you have cool designs

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Another value study...

LavThanks for the comment. I'll definitely check the movie out. I've never heard of it before.

I felt like doing another value study of all white objects. I find it a bit challenging, especially when you have several objects that are all white. In Jason Manleys Color Theory video stream, he mentioned this as a value exercise. First to paint objects that are all white on a white background of some sort. Then do the same thing but with all gray objects on a gray background and finally black on black. I'm going to do another white on white value painting and then I'll try doing a gray on gray one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

just some face studies...

I felt like doing some face studies. i'll probably do more tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

some more face studies...

I think the problem I might be having is that I'm getting a little too obsessed and I might need to cut back a little bit. Doing too much art I notice burns me out or makes me more frustrated. I'm not sure. After taking a little break I feel a bit more refreshed and I'm struggling as much. Here are some more face studies and face paintings from my head.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

some face studies....

I decided to do some face studies again. I'm realizing that I'm not doing certain things in my paintings from memory when I'm painting faces. This has def been helpful. These were done from a movie. Can you guess which movie is it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

just a late night doodle....

This is a late night doodle that I did just now. Any thoughts or comments about my work in general would be great. Thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like how you're drawing your cat, do you use reference of pictures to draw the animal stuff in your work?
    And nice face studies as well, keep doing them cant guess the movie tho

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice work so far. try and make the canvas a mid dark when doing greycale images otherwise evrything will be compared to white and it´ll end up looking flat.
    keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lav -- I don't normally use reference when I draw animals but this time I used some reference for the head but not the body. I need to do more studies on bodies though. I know the general anatomy of an animal and I basically started with learning the muscles of the horse so I basically apply that to other animals. It's sometimes difficult because I might get a little confused. Obviously I over-exaggerated the muscles of the cat. lol
    DK_sketch -- Thanks for the tip. I'll try that next time.

This is a sketch I was working on for fun. I ended up using some reference for the cats face and I used some reference when I initially started painting it. I found a picture of a hairless cat that I based it off of. I think using more reference in my work is helping me remember the features of a cat more. I don't know why but it's working. I'm not completely satisfied with the color yet. I guess I should play around with it some more.

More to come soon...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

another value study...

another value study. Not so happy with how this came out. I spent about an hour on it.

Last edited by Istmin52; April 19th, 2010 at 03:46 PM. Reason: I forgot to load the image

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Studies! They're looking good dude just keep at it, it's the fastest way to learn. You should try and get a stronger value range in your life paintings, and try some in color when you get the chance.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

more progress on the cat thing....

Jasper-- Thanks. I have been doing color still lives also in my other posts. I just haven't on this page specifically. Yea studies are important but if I can't incorporate it into my illustrations than that is a problem.

Here is more work done on the cat I posted a couple of days ago.

I ended up using more texture brushes on this one. It's something I don't usually do. This took me a long time to actually paint and I don't get why it took so long. I struggled with getting the values right on this but I think I pulled it off. My favorite part of this is the ears. lol. They also took the least amount of time and I had some good reference for them. I just generally have a difficult time finding reference for something really specific. Does anyone else have that problem? That's why I have to generally rely on my knowledge from memory to do the things I want. How do you end up getting the exact reference you want? Any ideas?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

some stuff ive done...

I know I haven't updated in a while and I have my reasons. Anyway, that doesn't mean I wasn't doing anything. Just haven't had a chance to post anything. Here is some sketches and stuff. Enjoy!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey,man,You are very hard-working!please keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

a still life...

LAL -- Thanks.

Didn't have much time today so I did a quick painting. I spent about an hour and a half on it. Painting the yamaka was a bit of a challenge. It seems very shiny compared to other objects that I've painted.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

a painting of tinfoil wrapped around some old food...

I was debating what I should paint today and I opened up my fridge and found some old garlic knots wrapped around in tinfoil. Since I've never painted tinfoil before, I figured I give it a shot. It was pretty challenging to paint because there are so many little shapes that the tinfoil creates. It took me about a couple of hours to get this far. I could have spent more time on it but I didn't have the time. More stuff to come soon...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

some stuff

Hey everyone. I guess the reason why I haven't been updating as much is because I noticed that when I would upload 3 times in one day, I wouldn't get any comments. I just decided to post whenever I feel like it but that doesn't mean I'm slacking off. Here is some more stuff. Enjoy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

some more stuff...

I'm not sure why I keep posting on here. I don't seem to be getting many comments these days. I guess I'm not as active commenting on other sketchbooks either. I've been pretty busy with some personal stuff which takes time out of my art. But as an observation on myself, I've noticed that I've had a big breakthrough between the last couple of posts. I really feel like I'm finally getting somewhere by being consistent and hard working. I feel like it's really paying off and I'm achieving more of a level of finish that I'm going for. I'm curious to here other opinions about my progress. Anyway, here is some more work. I'm really liking the alien dude with the pink mohawk so I decided to work on it a little bit more. There are also some anatomy studies. Enjoy!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hai!
    don't get discouraged if you don't seem to be getting some comments. I for example check your sketchbook everytime it's updated but don't always have much to say.
    I like that you're doing more human anatomy studies, your creatured may have different or exagurated porportions but if you understand the basic human anatomy really well, your "deformed" creatures will look more natural as well (i really like the one on the bottom of post 89)
    So keep it up cause your progress is good

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook