Sketchbook: My first sketchbook... - Page 18

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Ian loving the last couple of concepts you are working on. You have very cool ideas and I think your skills are continuing to progress. It looks like you are doing all the right things. As always I look forward to seeing more.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Marian! Sorry I haven't been active in a while. I've been really busy because I moved last Wednesday and it was a nightmare.

I'm glad it's over at least. I'm starting to settle in to my new apartment. I still have a lot to unpack but I do like my room and it's a much better workspace than where I was living before.

I will post more updates to my illustration tomorrow but wanted to a doodle I did at work today.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really like the paintings man very cute and friendly! I also like your use of color!

"What are these barriers that keep people from reaching anywhere near their potential? Fear or laziness?" -Waking life
    Sketchbook
    Deviantart

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

More progress

Thanks Uyeno! I wish I was as good as you when I was 15. lol.

Here's an update.

I ended up changing the pose of the pig and moved it over a bit to the right. I realized where the pigs feet were was dividing the composition in half. It was bugging me so I fixed it to be more asymmetrical.

I like the drawing of the pig now and am getting closer to how I want the lighting to be. I did have to simplify my idea down a bit. I wanted the two pigs sitting in the bottom right to be playing cards but that was a very complicated idea to execute. I simplified it by putting a cow in there instead.

I'm sure more changes will occur but I'm liking the direction that it's in.

Also something I learned is that in Photoshop, if you switch the mode to LAB, the colors blend better than in RGB. The only downside is that you can't save your image as a jpeg. I've found a work around to this by taking a screen shot of the image.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Istmin52 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Another update

Here's some more progress. I was hoping to finish this tonight but that isn't possible now. I'll have to finish it tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Ian so glad you are getting settled and happy in your new place. I love the expression on the pig he looks so contented. You are making good progress, are you thinking of making one of the cows front legs more forward of backwards for a little variation? As always I look forward to seeing what you do next.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Finished

Thanks for the tip Marian. I ended up applying that. Great suggestion.

Here is the finished version.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Figure Studies

I haven't done much figure studies in a while so I figured I'd start doing them again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool figure studies-- You seem to have a pretty wicked grasp of values. Keep up the great work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Misty Feather.

Here are some more doodles and studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Added some highlights and a doodle sketch

After looking at my new illustration I completed, I realized the pig needed some little highlights here and there. I think it looks better with them in.

I was also goofing around tonight and did some doodles.

I have another idea for an illustration and will start working on that soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A doodle and a study

I was trying a different method of coming up with a composition by not having a plan at all and just painting stuff and seeing what happens. It eventually developed into this. I want to take this further and see where it goes.

I also did another study. This time I used a block in brush. There was no opacity or flow settings. This really forced me to break the form down into basic shapes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for dropping by my sketchbook! I browsed through yours and must say that the improvement is evident. I also like your quirky ideas, which I think is of major importance in an image. No amount of rendering etc will save a poor idea.

Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really love the whimsy and idea in the house concept! The no-frills block-in of the figure looks pretty cool as well!

Most of your figures seem fairly rough. Have you ever thought about taking one to more of a finished, rendered state? I don't know if it would help nessacarily (not an expert at these things), but it might be something to consider.

Anyways, keep drawing and painting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This sketchbook has a great lighthearted atmosphere to it. I've been enjoying all the quirkiness

If there's any weakness right now, it's that the altered proportions don't always feel balanced. I see you like playing around with character proportions, often enlarging the head, or shortening the shins, but if the character doesn't look like it can stand or walk it won't feel convincing.

As an example, the purple piglet illo (I love saying that). The arm position gives it character, but the arms themselves feel off. They're the only part of the piglet that aren't round and stubby.
    You could also give it a greater sense of weight by adding some occlusion shadows under the pig.

My Sketchbook - All are welcome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks everyone for commenting.

@Chronberg Thanks! I feel like I'm definitely improving and making work at a professional level. I just have to keep making more art to put into my portfolio.

@dragning Thanks. I should probably work on a more finished figure painting. I guess my goal was to practice blocking in big shapes so that's why they are rough.

@IntoTheVoid Thanks for stopping by. For the pig piece, I tried playing around with the arm but it honestly doesn't work making it round like every other body part. It needs to look like an elbow is bending and making it round really doesn't work here. To me, it didn't feel off. I'm curious to know if anyone else had an issue with it. I see your point about not making my proportions balanced all the time. I guess that's because it's just a doodle and I'm not thinking about that stuff. It's just something fun to do.

I'm starting a new illustration. It will be a giant M&M attacking the city. It's still really rough right now but I thought I would share my process anyway.

I also worked on the alien creature I posted earlier. I did this before keeping in mind the proportion things IntoTheVoid mentioned so I will have to develop this further.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello! Thank you for the kind words and advice in my sb You have so many great ideas and pieces in yours, makes me feel jealous hehe. I really enjoy seeing some monsters and creatures!
    You have come a long way, I definitely can see the improvement since the first page Keep rocking, try new things once in a while and have fun~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Minella! I will definitely keep trying new things.

I ended up fixing the proportions of the earlier character I posted. The face changed also bit I'll keep developing it. I also paid more attention to my line quality this time. I think my issue is that sometimes I rush through the drawing without thinking first. Thinking before hand definitely helps. I'm also drew more with my shoulder than my wrist.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

some progress

I finally added some figures to this. It's taking a lot longer than I thought. Drawing these figures has been a challenge. I'm almost done drawing them though. I'll probably add 1 or 2 more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't have a chance to work on the illustration and did some figure drawing instead. I was trying to keep my pen down on my wacom tablet more to make my lines more fluid. I'm still getting used to it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Redoing the composition

So while working on this, I came up with a better idea for the composition. I thought it would be better if I changed the angle. It still has a ways to go but I'm liking the direction it's in.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 873 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hey there

The last composition is much better. I suggest You add one foot in the foreground of someone running

and also add some rock and cracking on the road to direct the eye

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah Ian this is a great angle for your latest piece. Looks really good already and you can really feel the drama and fear. I look forward to seeing more of this one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys!

I finally got around to scanning some drawings from my sketchbook. I have also been trying to get better at having stronger brush economy in my paintings so I am trying that out on a couple of images I painted here. I also did some more figure drawings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love you comic sketchbook pages, I had a giggle when I saw the T-REX on page #1
    I also really like your figures you build them from inside out, which is why I tell
    students how important it is to know the stick figure WELL.

Can't wait to see an update from the M dude chasing down consumers, looking forward too see where
    you will take that image. Some how I like the #529 more than #531, cause it looks more dramatic!
    I guess it's the people and that he is covered from the escapers. Think it that why, bigger monster more
    people are running away, maybe it's just a psychological effect! LOVE IT, keep working it
    out, swing by if you have time,....would love to have your feedback on my work!

Last edited by iven; September 14th, 2014 at 10:08 PM.
    Sketchbook - . Show Real - . Commission me- Online Shop - .

*critique* advice* help full links* paint overs, highly appreciated !

Submissions accepted;"DRAW THE CHANGE you want to see in the WORLD!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Twitter Header

Thanks iven!

I haven't posted in a while but I decided to create a twitter header for my twitter account.

I'm curious to know what you guys think. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I also found out yesterday that I was laid off from my job. Upper management decided they no longer needed my services after 4.5 years of working for them.

I'm surprised I was laid off because I was the only graphic designer their. They were doing a lot more graphics and needed my help. I don't know why they would cut me off. To be honest, I outgrew my position but it was still good to have a job at least. My boss even admitted that I outgrew my position and that there wasn't room for growth. It sucks but I wasn't completely happy there and was almost thinking about quitting so maybe this is a sign that something better will come along.

On top of that, I'm starting to realize that my visual vocabulary is weak and that their are gaps in my fundamentals. It sucks because I don't always know what those gaps are at this point. I don't know how to feel about the visual vocabulary aspect. I've been drawing a lot but maybe I need to spend more time analyzing which I thought I was already doing. I don't know. I feel frustrated.

I do know tat I have seen growth myself and my skills so that is a sign that I am doing something right. I really need to go back now and finish the m&m piece because I pushed that off.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Changed twitter header - rough sketch

After getting some good feedback, I ended up doing a rough redraw of the fish. I fixed the perspective of it so that it makes more sense.

I think its looking better now. What do you guys think?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Ian so sorry to hear you got laid off it is never nice when that happens. It's great though that you are able to be so positive about it and see the opportunity to progress your career. I most certainly have seen a lot of progress in your work and I am sure as you continue on you will end up with a fab job.i have ways enjoyed your concepts but it is also nice to see your sketchbook pages to. Can't wait to see how you develop this last one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The fish had indeed a weird perspective on that first piece, now it's much better Cool updates!

I'm sorry to hear about your job But as you said, maybe it's a sign that something better will happen to you, that's what I definitely hope for you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New twitter header

Thanks guys. I have a phone interview tomorrow so I'll see how that goes.

Anyway, I came up with another idea. Not that I didn't like the last update but I don't think it emphasized the action I wanted.

I'm liking how this is going and I want to get this finished soon.

I also am taking The Fundamentals of Light class on schoolism. I am taking the self taught class because the regular class is full. They are having a special sale where it's $100 off the original price and you have access to the lectures for 100 days. If you have the money I'd definitely recommend it.

I was working on the first assignment. This is what I have so far. It's definitely tougher than I thought but I'm learning a lot. I want to work on this some more. For me personally, it's exactly the class I need because figuring out different lighting situations is challenging for me.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 115