Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: My first sketchbook...

Thanks
    Istmin, i understand your frustration. I always feel like i'm not improving myself, or at least not enough. And i wanted to focus on doing more finished pieces but i got the advice from someone to not rush things and don't keep trying to finish something when the best thing to do was kept practicing and start over with doing more and more drawings and getting the basics really good before moving forward. But yeah it's definatelly frustrating, i'm trying to draw for years now and still don't feel like i'm where i need to be to start on fully rendering images, but if you have a job or studies that require it, then you feel forced to do so

Zombifried made a really good post

I also think that how active you are in other people's sketchbook is a big factor in if people reply in yours or not. I daily browse other people's sketchbook, not to seek replies in mine but because i'm interested in it and then you find people that you really often share feedback to.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hey, thanks for stopping by my sketchbook. I figured I'd take a gander over at yours to return the favor.

I don't want to go on and on about things that have already been said or mentioned in this thread but I believe that the last few posts are right on. Frustration is a part of art just as it is a part of life. We've all gone through it just as we all will go through it.

In the case of anatomy I see that you are starting to get a better handle on the body. Bridgman’s is definitely a good place to be looking. Might I also suggest Andrew Loomis’ Figure Drawing for All its Worth. I too, like most, am still learning the ins and outs of the human form. Two things that greatly helped my understanding were:

1. Proportion. To measure using something as a constant. In your drawing pick something as a unit to measure by. The head is used most classically but I have found myself using whatever is most convenient at the time. (Keep in mind that I used this more often in life drawings rather than imaginative work. If you don’t have the means to go to figure classes try drawing yourself in a mirror, or try drawing a friend. Once you have a firm grasp on the overall proportions of the body your imaginative sketches will start to become more proportionately accurate (which they seem to start to be)). Having an understanding of perspective will also help with this. Perspective with the body can be tricky, given those cases of foreshortening, but only practice can remedy this.

2. The second thing that helped me immensely was to think of the basic shapes and contours of the body rather than individual muscles when drawing the form. Don't get me wrong. Know your muscles. It is by all means important but not when you are blocking in form. Try starting a sketch with the basic masses to establish proportion, perspective and pose and then start to refine. I notice that in the progressions of the characters you tend to finish the illustration in chunks. Painting in chunks isn't necessarily bad but you should try to get your under drawing in first. This can help you make decisions and changes to the overall composition before you begin your final rendering. If you’re generally pressed for time I can only assume that you would be unwilling to fix things once they are worked more to a finish (given the time taken to work it up in the first place), which can tend to hurt the overall piece, making it appear stiff and the pose resembles more of a posed robot rather than a fluid being.

This brings me to something that greatly helped my work. Planning. Yes it may seem tedious at times, yes it may seem superfluous to do so much work and research for one picture when you would rather just get in there and paint, but... it is entirely worth it and it can only help the final piece. I will tend to make thumbnails of my composition, refine one of these to a sketch, I then research my references (which may or may not include sculpting maquettes to get my lighting right), I have then been known to make a preliminary charcoal value study from my original sketch, only then will I begin the final painting. I don't always follow this routine but I have found that it makes my final much stronger, much more grounded in reality than I ever could have hoped for had I worked straight from memory or imagination. Not to say I don’t use my memory or my imagination throughout the whole process but rather that I use them in conjunction with ample reference of the real world. (I have James Gurney to thank for this inspiration as he authored the fabulous book Imaginative Realism which I suggest very highly).

Just sketching and painting also has its benefits as you can be looser and faster without sticking to a rigid plan. But even this should be grounded with some sort of understructure. A quick finished sketch or a basic idea should suffice. As loose as these kinds of things can be, you should never sacrifice composition. Composition is one of those things, like color and line, which is present in any form of art, whether it is a study or a finished illustration. It should always be considered.

If you are looking for more feedback might I suggest taking a look over at the community activities section of this website. Character of the week (CHOW) seems like something that might interest you. Contributing to something like that would expose your work to a greater audience on this site than just having a sketchbook. If it's critiques you want then that will be a good place to start.

One of the biggest things I can tell you is to keep at what you are doing. Whenever you can, work traditionally. The more you can get a handle on traditional media the more you will have an understanding in the digital world. Trust that most (not all but I think I can safely say most) really good digital artists know how to paint digitally because they know how paint works. They know what a painting looks like up close. Personally, my understanding of digital media noticeably grew with my practice of traditional painting.

So don’t get too depressed about not being to the level you feel you should be at because if any of us ever reached that level there would be no more interesting art in the world. No one will ever stop learning no matter how naturally things may seem to come to them. In this we are all alike.

Good luck with everything.
    Max Martelli
    Illustration/Fine Art
    max@maxmartelli.com
    http://www.maxmartelli.com

Thanks
    thanks for stopping by my sb
    just focus a bit more on gesture

Thanks
    Hello everyone. Thanks for the comments. I think the main problem that I've been having is that I've been thinking very negatively for a while and I think that's part of the reason for me being so angry and annoyed so I apologize for that. I just realized this earlier in the week that I have to stop thinking negatively. It's really unhealthy and it's not a great way to live. I've been realizing now that suffering is a part of the journey and I should start accepting that and I will gradually get better as an artist and overcome my plateaus. I started reading a book called Mastery by George Leonard and it's really good. It's about the general journey of mastery and the type of obstacles you will go through in order to get better at what you do. I highly recommend people to buy it. It's been helping me out and realizing that plateaus are normal and that instead of getting frustrated and angry with myself, I should start to like being in a plateau because it will eventually lead to further growth and that there is no quick way to get there. I have to start clearing negative thoughts out of my head and start thinking more positively. I will post more work soon. Thanks again for everyone that commented.

Thanks
    I find your last post very interesting. During the last few weeks I have been examining my own creative processes and I have come to several conclusions. One of those is:
    Creativity loves fun. Boredom and negativity is a creativity killer. Having fun while creating is paramount. Having Great Fun while creating is called inspiration.

Now, I know that in the history of art there are examples of many artists that have found creativity and inspiration in pain... but that statement is not as true as it seems. I believe what actually happened to them is that they felt pain and they were suffering, and creative expression was actually their only relief. It may be that it provided the only time when they were not thinking negatively. That is why they became so creative. It was the only way they could have fun.
    And of course it is impossible to have fun and think negatively at the same time.
    Very interesting sketchbook by the way

Thanks
    Thanks for your comment on my journal Istmin- I'm a little late replying as I've been very busy with various things.

I think you have some awesome stuff going on here, and you clearly comprehend the fundamentals of creating concept art- good! Far ahead of myself in terms of understanding I especially like your still life drawings, they have a very accurate and lifelike feel to them while still retaining that painterly look.

I think that some of your creatures look a little stiff but regardless they're very imaginative and I would expect that as you draw more they will flow even easier. Keep up the good work man

Thanks

some crappy figure drawings...

inimic, VimViva -- Thanks for the comments.

I haven't had time to draw that much this week because I was busy helping a friend out designing a website for a start up company. It's finished so I'm really happy about that and I generally like how it came out. I just started drawing again a couple of hours ago and I ended up doing some crappy figure drawings and some drawings from imagination. Not to worry. I
    l'll be posting more work soon.....

Thanks

some more figure studies...

Here are some more figure studies. Nothing special.

Thanks
    just looking at your animations i think the first one is great, how long that take (zombi-ish one)
    I hope to be the best i can be... nothing less

WEBSITE

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Istmin52 View Post
    Thanks for commenting on my sketchbook. I agree that your studies are coming along. Definitely keep studying from Bridgeman. I've recently started drawing from his book again and it has been really helping me. I would say when you do your studies, maybe after you do them, try to draw your studies from memmory. By doing that, it really makes you think as to how the muscles are put together and how everything fits together in a puzzle. I would also suggest getting an anatomy book by Paul Richter. Drawing from his templates and looking at Bridgeman will really help you. Occasionally, Bridgeman makes mistakes. I actually just noticed one in his book.

As for my animation, that took me about 7 months to make. What college are you going to?
    I did not really have a propper look through your sketchbook before but i can see that your studies are showing major improvement i would sugest putting more time into this but your getting faster as you have shown. keep pushing yourself to do more when you arnt doing much at all, overwhelm yourself almost with motivation and inspiration then get to the books and DRAW! i can't wait to see more and im attending college in the UK awaiting to go university or hopefully gain a scholarship in a years time.
    I hope to be the best i can be... nothing less

WEBSITE

Sketchbook

Thanks

doodle

Thanks Tom. Yea I actually have been doing more studies recently but I haven't scanned them in yet. I'm not sure if I will. Anyway, here is a doodle I was working on. Maybe i'll do a rough painting of it. I'll see.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Istmin52 View Post
    Hello everyone. Thanks for the comments. I think the main problem that I've been having is that I've been thinking very negatively for a while and I think that's part of the reason for me being so angry and annoyed so I apologize for that. I just realized this earlier in the week that I have to stop thinking negatively. It's really unhealthy and it's not a great way to live. I've been realizing now that suffering is a part of the journey and I should start accepting that and I will gradually get better as an artist and overcome my plateaus. I started reading a book called Mastery by George Leonard and it's really good. It's about the general journey of mastery and the type of obstacles you will go through in order to get better at what you do. I highly recommend people to buy it. It's been helping me out and realizing that plateaus are normal and that instead of getting frustrated and angry with myself, I should start to like being in a plateau because it will eventually lead to further growth and that there is no quick way to get there. I have to start clearing negative thoughts out of my head and start thinking more positively. I will post more work soon. Thanks again for everyone that commented.
    I'm glad you found that book...That led me to pick up a copy. I'm almost through it...That should help put the advice you're getting into perspective.
    It certainly did for me. I'm gad to see you're back it! The new stuff looks a little stronger. I think you're loosening up a little, which is good.
    Thank you, for mentioning/suggesting that book. It's done a lot to improve my spirits, as it's no doubt done the same for you.
    Good luck, and keep at it!
    ~Zombifried
    "Try not. Do or do not!! There is no try"
    -Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

zombifried's sketchbook
    zombifried's sculpture thread

Thanks
    good updates Istmin! the last one looks really good, keep it up! Hope you don't get too discouraged because you're really improving

Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast