Page 10 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: My first sketchbook...

Thanks

more progress

Philosiflo and Lav -- Thanks for the comments. I think I understand what you mean Philosiflo. Anatomy has always been an issue for me for some reason but I'd to think that I've gotten better at it and it will be something I will continue to work on. Actually I downloaded CryptCrawlers video tutorial and his story is pretty inspiring. I've picked up some useful techniques from watching his videos.

Here is more progress on the character I'm working on. I'm hoping to finish this soon.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Another study....

This is another study. I think I figured out a way to paint leaves and bushes in photoshop because that is always something I kind struggled with before. Usually they appear like globs of shapes but I like the texture I was able to create. I'm going to play around with this more.

Thanks
    Hmm ive noticed that your life drawing stuff seems to be more advance then your memory stuff. Its weird because for me its the other way around which is uncommon i think? haha

Anyway dont worry about getting comments so much dude i dont get many either haha thx for stopping by btw What ive noticed is that the better you are the more comments you get, so use the amount of comments as an idea of how well your doing haha.

I cant really give u any crits because your better then me but keep pushing and try to learn something in everything you draw, try to understand how everything works because if you can understand something you take away the mystery and it becomes easy to draw.
    "The whole point of practice is to do it until you can do it right." - dpaint

DA

Sketch Book

Thanks

finished character for now

element1988 -- Thanks for the comment. And no sorry, I won't use the analogy of how many comments I get determines how good I am. I've noticed other sketchbooks with people who are just starting to learn how to draw and they also get quite a lot of comments so I don't think that has anything to deal with it. And yes, I have been trying to learn something new with everything I paint but I also might forget stuff too. I can't possibly remember everything and expect to know everything. I've been taking it one step at a time. There is just too much to learn.

Anyway, here is another finished character. I think I'm going to work on a full illustration piece next. I'll see. It's nice to get something productive done and to show some finished work. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Thanks
    Pretty cool character, but somethings bugging me about the torso. It might just be the pose. What is suppose to be going on in the scene for it to be standing like that?

DA

Sketch Book

Thanks
    element1988 -- Yea I can see what you mean about the torso. I think it might be a simple thing to fix. As for the pose, I was just playing around with it. I wasn't necessarily thinking about a story. It honestly was too much to think about at the time. I know I should have a story in mind when creating a character but I was mainly focusing on playing around with textures and stuff like that also. If you want to do a draw over if you notice something is wrong like maybe the torso, that is fine with me. I didn't necessarily see it at first.

Thanks

I tried fixing the torso...

Okay I think the torso is fixed. I think I made her torso too skinny which looked weird. I just widened it a little. Let me know what you think.

Thanks
    yea looks alittle better now. Dont worry about the not having a story thing, i do it too i just think its probably a good idea to come up with a bit of a story to help come up with a theme for clothing or background ect.

DA

Sketch Book

Thanks

i fixed it a little more...

Okay, I worked on the torso a little bit more and gave it a little bit more lighting. I think it looks better now. I'll probably look at this another time but in the meantime I think I'm going to move on to something else. Any thoughts and comments always appreciated.

Thanks

some paintings and figure drawings...

Here are some figure drawings and digital paintings.

Thanks
    Hi there,
    You've got quite a lot of work here in this thread, and that by itself is impressive.
    A couple things: (it didn't quote right, sorry)
    [QUOTE=Istmin52;2671164]FraserMcT--... I know my perspective is off at times and I should probably pay more attention to it. The reason why I didn't as much is because they are mainly just painting studies to improve my rendering skills.

2kre8-- I agree I should pay more attention to my compositions. My main focus is to practice rendering so I didn't really want to think about composition because I don't have a lot of time during the day to paint. If I paint something, thinking about composition just adds more time which I don't have sometimes. When I do Illustration work, I really do focus on composition.
    [/B]
    If you know that your perspective is off, you might want to fix that, before you go any further with it.
    Compositions should always be thought about (It's still an area that I need work on, as well) from the sketch through to the final piece. Doing some quick thumbnails is good way to save time working on composition. It should never be an afterthought.

I think people have already commented enough on your anatomy. I would just take time to construct those figures, and make more definite decisions about shape.
    Okay, that was more than a couple things.
    My overall observation/suggestion:
    It looks like you're hurrying through this stuff. A lot of the stuff you mentioned already, is a result of that.
    You might want to think about slowing down the pace, work on one thing at a time, and spend more time in the planning stages. Believe it or not, it's a time-saver , and will cause you a lot less headaches down the line.
    On the other hand, I think your value studies are pretty good, and your animal studies seem to be coming along.
    I'm not picking on you here, I just thought I may be able to point some stuff out. Unfortunately, frustration comes with territory. As an artist, it's easy to become flustered. Just remember to have patience with yourself. Everybody grows at different rates. Set yourself small attainable goals, and keep a log of your progress. ( your sketchbook is a good log) Don't get overwhelmed by what's wrong, just take it piece by piece. Don't worry about getting a lot of comments, as long as the ones you do receive truly help you further your growth as an artist. Oh, and thanks for the comment in my SB! I'll certainly work on what you said.
    Keep up the good work!
    ~Zombifried
    "Try not. Do or do not!! There is no try"
    -Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

zombifried's sketchbook
    zombifried's sculpture thread

Thanks
    zombifried -- Thanks for commenting on my sketchbook. The thing that pisses me off is that I have been studying anatomy on and off for at least 3 to 4 years now. It frustrates me when people still keep saying that I need to work on my anatomy. What else am I suppose to do to improve it? Even though I haven't been posting some sketches I do in my sketchbook, I have been doing drawings from Bridgeman's book and looking at online tutorials, etc. And the thing is, I do spend time on trying to define the figures I draw. So I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that.
    I don't mean to be defensive about this but I also need to be able to get a real job or at least start getting freelance work and I need to rebuild my portfolio in order to do that. The illustration work on my website I'm not completely happy with and feel that the last two character designs I posted here are a lot better than my older stuff. I've been constantly drawing and if people still don't see the improvement than I might as well give up now. I can't wait until I'm 40 to start getting work. I'm eventually going to have to live on my own. I'm also planning on going to the NY Comicon this year and want to get a portfolio ready to show some publishers and see what they think.
    As for perspective, I am taking a perspective class now since I have the time so hopefully that will help me down the road.
    Slowing down the pace isn't a bad idea but I can't spend so much time on one subject matter because then I'll get bored. I need to keep doing different things in order to make it fun and new for me.
    As for my comment about not getting many comments, you have a point there too but the reason why I started a sketchbook is get useful feedback and when no one really comments, it gets me a bit frustrated and I'm not sure what to make of it. Either:
    a) My work isn't good enough for people to comment
    b) My work really sucks and people don't know what to say
    or
    c) My work doesn't generate a reaction to anyone.
    I came to this site feeling optimistic but I seem to be getting more and more negative lately about my life and what will happen in the future. Especially with this economy, I'm really scared that I will get nowhere in my life and I guess my fear is what is driving me. I also get really obsessed with things and maybe the obsession is unhealthy and maybe that could be why you think I'm hurrying through this stuff. I guess maybe I just need some advice on a schedule that I should start doing. I've been trying to be consistent which I thought you are suppose to do. It could be I need some time off from this site because it gets me angry. I don't know anymore.

Thanks
    I can understand the frustration, and I can certainly empathize with your situation.
    I know 3 to 4 years seems like a long time, but for something like anatomy/figure drawing, it's really only a beginning. I've been taking life drawing classes on and off (cause I can't afford them!) for almost twenty years. I've just recently (within the last year, or so) began to get some sort of understanding of form and function. The majority of artists out there study the figure, because it's what's expected from us. Only a good handful do it well. That's because most will get frustrated, and give up.
    It comes with time and patience.

Perspective can take some time, as well. (I'm still learning about it myself)
    I think you have a decent handle on that, but don't always apply what you know. In fact, I think that's the case for a lot of what you're being criticized
    for. It's as I said, It's a matter of slowing down the pace.
    Not spending time on one subject because of boredom, is just a lack of focus.
    Focus is discipline. It's not just there. You have to make yourself do things.
    Just as you may not be feeling well, but you go to work anyway...Well, I think you get what I'm saying.

As for getting work, It's like that for all of us. I have gone to school, graduated (albeit only with an Associates of Art degree), gone back to school
    to get a more technical background (Computer Graphics Technology program), and am now looking at going back from something completely non-art related, or going into teaching. I will continue art as a secondary career, whichever path I choose.
    Don't get down on yourself! We learn through making mistakes. All of here have something to gain and learn from one another, and you are no different. You've given some good advice, and you've been given good advice. It's up to you how you use it.
    Everybody gets burned out from time to time. Try to relax, and do something fun...cartoons, whatever. Then come back to the grind.
    A schedule? I don't really have one either. Maybe just devote one week, to figure studies, another to perspective...
    and so on. Focus on one thing at a time, so you don't get yourself overwhelmed.
    I hope this helps. Good luck, and remember to take it easy on yourself from time to time.
    ~Zombifried
    "Try not. Do or do not!! There is no try"
    -Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

zombifried's sketchbook
    zombifried's sculpture thread

Page 10 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast