Sketchbook: My first sketchbook... - Page 10

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last post you did- that's an interesting concept, the only thing I can say is you have nothing to keep the cloak on her shoulders xD

Anyways, keep up the good work!

- Sketchbook - Society6 - Etsy
    Cheers
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

i ended up redrawing it...

Thank you both for the comments. I ended up redrawing it again. Here is my progress so far. I'm aiming for this ti be finished by friday.

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The drawing on the top is so creepy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

more progress....

dylstew --- Yea it does look creepy only because I was still trying to mess around with it and also because it isn't finished.

Here is some more progress. I might be changing the face. I'm not sure. For now I just want to get this finished. I also decided to add a side view of the character as well.

Any thoughts and comments always helpful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

some more updates...

Here are some more updates.

I started working on a character duo. I've been meaning to do this for quite some time so I'm glad I started it.

I also redrew the face of the character I posted from above. For some reason, I wasn't satisfied with the face before.

I ended up sending my friend a birthday card so I did some mail art on it. I haven't used traditional media in a long time and I forgot how much fun it can be. I used colored pencil and pen and ink.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

more progress on the character duo...

Here is some progress on the character duo.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

more progress....

I ended up changing the side kick character and made him smaller. I think it's def more the direction I was going for. I'm almost done with it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

finally finished...

This is pretty much finished. Not really sure what else to do on it. I feel like after a while of working on something, I just don't feel like working on it anymore. Like, I lose interest if something takes too long to do. Does anyone else have this problem. I've been forcing myself to finish this so now I'm going to go back and finish something else. Any thought and comments always appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

redesigned character

I decided to redo one of the characters I posted before. I'm hoping to finish this one too. I'm really going to keep working on anatomy and proportion and I feel like this is the start of something good happening. At least that's just me.

After I finish this one, I'm going to be doing some more illustration work with backgrounds and action. I have some ideas I want to develop.

I know sometimes I bitch and get defense when people comment on my work and I really don't mean to come across as an asshole. I guess I just take things personal because I'm working so hard.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been thinking a lot lately and I find that painting and drawing studies a bit of a chore these days. Like, oh I need to paint something today or I need to do a figure drawing, etc., etc., that it's really getting a bit tiresome and exhausting. Does anyone else feel this way? I can't keep this regiment up forever. I do need a job that I can afford to live on. Doesn't anyone else have this pressure too? I'm really starting to lose my passionate for this. Maybe it's too hard for me and I'm meant to be doing something else. I'm really starting to doubt myself. It's at the point where I feel like I might need someone to really sit down and show me exactly what I'm doing wrong because I don't always understand what people are saying. No one even had a reaction to my cartoon style art on post #277 that I did on the envelope I sent my friend for his birthday. I find that a bit odd that no one said anything about it. Maybe this site is really getting to me so taking a break from it for a while might not be a bad idea.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

more progress....

I fixed some of the issues with the characters anatomy. I'll work on it more tomorrow. I'm really tired for some reason today so I'm going to take a nap.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 879 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    as many people have said to you, I would highly recommend doing more studies. Although they can sometimes be tedious and often are not the sort of "creative" results that many people aim for, they are a means to an end. Doing tedious still-life's (to some people) will develop your sense of form and light and ultimately make doing all this cool character-based work far easier.

I like the re-work of the side-kick character. Big improvement.

Sketchbook: INSATIABLE CURIOSITY

Tumblr:http://lovegraphite.tumblr.com/

"We make our own fortunes and we call them fate" - Benjamin Disraeli

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks ThomasM I've been doing more studies again and do feel like they are paying off. I'm going to try and do at least one study a day and spend some time on it. I'm going to alternate between still life and anatomy study. I haven't posted my studies on here just because I don't necessarily see a point in it. I'm trying to take what I've learned and apply it to my own work. I don't consider my sense of light and form to be bad which is maybe how I'm taking it by some people. I still feel like there is always room for improvement but isn't that everyone's life story? Thanks again for stopping by my sketchbook.

Last edited by Istmin52; February 13th, 2011 at 12:28 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Ian thanks for your kind words in my SB. I can see that you are having a real battle with yourself and I really admire the way you keep trying to overcome your negative feelings. You are obviously working hard and I think that this sketchbook already shows how much you have progressed in a short time. I wish you well.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Marian Rowling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good work dude, you are clearly working hard. One thing I would suggest is drawing a horizon line and placing your figures in a perspective box, which will perhaps help with finding forms. Don't be discouraged, you are going great.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightpunk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah!

One thing you could try is like alternating your time between studies and 'application'
    (creative exercises or projects). For example, work on one study per day, really taking
    your time on each one, but then on weekends, devote yourself to finishing one project by
    the end of the weekend.

Or you could go the opposite way, chipping away at a project day by day, then doing a
    series of studies on the weekend, focusing on one particular subject. In the same way
    you could alternate your work by week or by day, that way you are sure to get a little
    bit off each discipline.

Keep up the good work!

sketchbook...a kitten dies every time you don't comment

“When forced to work within a strict framework,
    the imagination is taxed to its utmost – and will
    produce its richest ideas. Given total freedom,
    the work is likely to sprawl.”

- TS Eliot

Bloooooooog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

here is some more progress...

Thanks everyone for the kind words and support. You've given me really good suggestions and I'm def going to implement them.

Here is some more progress of the character so far. I'm sure I will discover more anatomy issues here and there that I need to fix as I keep working on it.

If you do notice something wrong with the anatomy, instead of saying you should do more studies, maybe you can specify what is wrong anatomy wise with the character or do a draw over so I can actually see what's wrong with it. I think the issue I've been having is that sometimes when people tell me that I need to keep studying anatomy but if you specify what is wrong with the current anatomy on the character I drew, it would benefit me better and show me what I should be studying more specifically. Thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I think it's finished for now...

I would call this finished for now. I'm going to draw the character from a different angle or at least draw a front view of her face. If anyone has any criticism please let me know, especially if you see any anatomy problems. If you see any anatomy issues, then be specific instead of saying, do more studies. This way, I'll know what I'm doing wrong. Thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You got some cool characters, watch the balance tho. Sometimes, like in the character duo, your characters are leaning forward/backward quite heavily. Which makes things look less natural.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Teundeboer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Some face studies....

Here are some face studies I did today. I think I'll be doing studies on the weekends and do my own work during the week. I think that schedule could work and it would be consistent enough and something that is doable for me. I'll see how it goes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, man, the face studies are looking cool. The second one especially has a good bit of volume going. Maybe try to show a plane change from the top/front plane of the nose and the side.

Do you use reference when you're working on your characters and illustrations?

My Website / My Sketchbook / My DeviantArt

Garlunk|Human|lvl07|pvp00|E0|Siren's Well
    Tomyris|Mystical|lvl02|pvp00|E0|Killrog's Palace
    PAINT HAMMER! The Art Making RPG!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really nice portraits!! But when you're doing poses, i have to agree with teundebeur that you should watch the balance. Nice updates tho

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

redone character

Thank you both for the comments. Lav, it's great to see you here again. I was thinking about you recently. I'll make sure to check out your sketchbook soon.

I honestly thought it looked cool to have my characters pose like that in post #280 but from what everyone is saying, they appear to be unbalanced so I will work on that in the future.

This is something new I started. I decided to redo a previous character design this week and this is my progress so far. I'm going to force myself to draw this character from different angles.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Ian I'm really glad to see you revisiting this character as I really like it. Well done and just keep going.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Redoing character, my life story.

Thanks Marion Rowling. I will continue to keep working on the character.

I decided to redo the last character I designed because I'm not completely satisfied with it. I feel like at this point, I'm just redoing stuff because I feel like I can make it better. It seems that my progress is very up and down. It's almost dumb luck if something turns out okay. Anyway, I'm planning on finishing this by today.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

more progress....

I've been working on the character some more and it's slowly coming together. Once this is done, I'll go back to the other character. I won't forget about it. I should be done with this tomorrow.

I notice that whenever I take short breaks and come back to it, I constantly notice a lot of anatomy problems that I keep fixing. It's really weird. As I'm working on it, I think it's looking pretty good. Then I take a short break and come back to it and notice that certain things are wrong. Do other people have this issue to? I've been noticing that this keeps happening more and more which I guess is a good thing. Perhaps my instincts are getting stronger? I can only take that as a positive. I'll probably keep fixing things here and there anatomy wise also as I finish this up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Ian I think it's great that you are revisiting your work to improve on it. Shows how much you are progressing that you can see mistakes and change them. I find it's always best to have a break from looking at something as when you look later or the next day you instantly see what you like and what you don't. As for your progress going up and down I think this is common and not something to worry about, I know I experience myself. It's not dumb luck when you do well it is a glimpse of your future art skills, which I always find exciting and encouraging.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I think it's finished...

Thanks Marian Rowling. I promise I will check out your sketchbook soon.

This is the finished character.

Overall I'm pretty happy with how it came out. I noticed now that I always drew hands too big compared to the figure and I sometimes draw the features on a persons face too big. I will also revisit drawing hands. Let me know what you guys think. Enjoy!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

working more on my other character...

I decided to do a front and side view of the other character that I posted here. This is my progress so far.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

gesture drawings...

There is a great website to use here
    http://www.pixelovely.com/tools/gesture.html Someone posted it on my sketchbook so I decided to give it a try. It's pretty cool. You can time your drawings for 30 secs, 60 secs, etc. Def check out the website when you get a chance. It's pretty cool. These are my gesture drawings from it.

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 113