Join 500,000+ Artists
Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!
Thanks SavageGoldfish I'm glad you think it looks like tortoise shell, that's what i was aiming for.
Finished the sculpt for my next mask, the Balinese witch Celuluk.
I made a few last minute changes before molding and then disaster struck. I completely screwed up the mold, the whole area around the teeth didn't set and is just a pile of mush.
This is as finished as it's ever going to get.
New piece i started recently based on a Jesper Ejsing painting for Magic The Gathering.
It's still very rough and I think the head is a little to big and the chimney too small but i'm pretty happy with it so far.
Thanks for looking.
Slowly making some progress on the Soot Imp, here is the finished head.
Almost finished, the hair still needs some work but it's almost done.
Your maquettes are so impressive. The influence of mythology on your work makes it so much fun. I really enjoyed the Balinese inspired mask. I hope you change your mind on painting it.
I particularly like your poses and use of stylization in your design. It brings a nice illustrative quality to the sculpts that is so playful.
I aspire to doing more sculpting off the computer and will definitely look to you for inspiration.
"Life's like a movie, write your own ending. Keep believing, keep pretending" - Kermit the Frog
Thanks adam, I can't paint the Balinese mask as there is nothing left to paint, the mold didn't work and the original was wrecked. I plan on sculpting it again some time so hopefully I'll have more luck molding it next time.
Here's the finished the Soot Imp, made with super sculpey / firm, Apoxie Sculpt and lots of super glue.
This is the art its based on.
This is a new mask I've been working on, I'm using WED clay for the first time so it's been a bit of a learning experience. The teeth and ears still need some work but I think it's almost done.
Here's the first cast of the new mask. The photos aren't great but latex just doesn't seem to photograph well.
Just a small update on the mask, not quite finished with the paint job but i think it's almost done.
let me know what you think.
I still haven't finished painting the mask, I just can't get the eyes right.
Just finished this creature. Super Sculpey with oil pastel shavings mixed in to colour it and black flocking for texture, the teeth are translucent Fimo
His back and ears got a little overly toasted in the oven but i think it actually worked out well, the ears look better and veins don't stand out so much now.
Finished painting. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, let me know what you think.
Looks great, Josh. I like the fleshy look you have acheived in the neck. Nice work.
Extremely impressive paint job / sculpture. Great work!
If you like my stuff check out my blog:
Wow nice paintjob on a cool sculpt. Great work!
Mind if I ask some questions? How do you get it to shine so much, as if it's wet?
Is that just varnish or something else?
And the teeth, what kind of stuff are they made of?
Thanks guys. Glad you like the paint job, it was my first time painting a sculpture with an airbrush so pretty happy with how it turned out.
Harmageddon, to get the wet look i sprayed it with Liquitex Hi Gloss Varnish and used a 30 minute epoxy on the eyes, teeth and lips but I think I put the Liquitex on a little too thick so they don't stand out as much as I'd hoped. Next time I'll try spraying a lighter coat or use normal gloss instead of the hi gloss.
For the teeth i used translucent white Fimo Effect, they got a bit dirty while i was painting the face but i think it looks better than if they where clean.
Just finished this creature loosely based on H.P Lovecrafts story The Doom That Came to Sarnath.
Awesome Josh, your style is unique and quite refreshing! Are you using a mixed medium base for your sculpts? Any plans or attempts at casting these?
Thanks CombatMatt, sorry about the late reply. The base for all the sculpts except the masks is just a wire armature bulked out with foil. I'm thinking of making casts of the sculpt I'm working on now, depends how it turns out.
Finally finished the mask i posted a few months back. Also cast and painted a new version intended to be wearable.
This is a new sculpt I've been working on, still needs some work. I can never decide the best position for horns so decided to make it so they could be repositioned.
Thanks for looking.
Almost done, this is just before he went in the oven, I just realised I forgot to redo his ears.
Thanks AimBiZ glad you like him. He's not painted yet but looks like he might be because before I started I coloured the Sculpey to get it closer to the colour I wanted and added some translucent white Fimo to the clay I used on his face and neck, that's why he's not the same colour all over. I also mixed in some red flocking which you can just see in the last photos, this helps give the clay a more realistic look (I hope). The teeth are translucent white Fimo so they look a little too clean at the moment, I'll dirty them up when I paint him.
Started this cyclops bust a few days ago, still a lot to do but pretty happy with it so far, roughly half scale in WED clay.
Small update, realised he was lacking personality so made some changes.
I think this is finished.
Finished painting the Cyclops bust. I'm hoping to add hair to him as well but think I'll practice on something else first.