Thanks

Drawings and Oil Studies

These are two head studies that I did last semester at LCAD. The first one was done with CarbOthello pencil on pastel paper and the second one with charcoal on Canson paper. They were both drawn in 2 life drawing class sessions.
    Both drawings were done around mid semester and I think I was finally starting to understand how to separate the shadow from the light. My teacher pushed for us to define the major shadow shape as one flat shape before moving on, and I struggled a lot with that. I always wanted to use lines to start working on the details of the features before anything else. I learned in that class how important it is to define the light shape and the shadow shape as a whole before moving on to the details within in order to achieve values that make sense.
    I was still struggling with turning the form in both drawings, but certain things finally started clicking after a really rough beginning

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Nice work! I especially like the hair on the woman, it's very delicate and really well described. I need to try out those carbOthello pencils...

Thanks
    Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,548 Posts
    Really nice - I think they both have a nice sense of volume - and light of course. Looking forward to more!
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    F!END-- Thanks! Yea carbOthellos are really awesome! I tried them for the first time last semester and fell in love They're are so much softer than charcoal, you can get some really nice marks. The only thing is that they go really really quickly. Luckily they only cost a tiny bit more than charcoal pencils. So many colors!

JeffX99-- Thanks! I'm really trying to work on turning the form more

Thanks
    Ha! You and me both! Amongst other things...

On the subject of media - I love carbOthellos too but yeah, they seem to evaporate! My current teacher had us use Nupastels - I love them. Basically they feel/work like maybe Alphacolor compressed of "char-kole" brand - really soft and rich but in color.

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    JeffX99- I need to try nupastels! Time for the art store-- nothing better than buying brand new supplies I've actually been ordering my supplies online-- it saves a whole bunch which means there's still money left over for food

This is a portrait I did last semester, drawn from life and (mostly) photo reference, with carbOthello pencil on pastel paper. I picked my model because I knew what fantastic faces he could make and we had an awesome photo shoot. I spent a long time planning for this project and doing thumbnails and tonal sketches before I started. The actual drawing took me around 6 hours. There is a lot to work on and I hope to have another go at this using another medium--maybe ink/charcoal mix, or oil.

Thanks
    Hey Sisi! So cool (and funny) that we art nerds all congregate to the same place, both in reality and online It's so great to see you guys and have you drop by!! You already know that I love that last drawing especially. But who is that crazy guy?

Can't wait to see your paintings from the Workshop you're in!

Cheers,

-R

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
    1300 Factory Place, Unit 308
    Los Angeles, CA 90013
    www.korpus-la.com
    Blog
    Facebook Page

Twitter
    korpus.info@gmail.com
    Phone: 213-228-2014

Thanks
    Let me know how you like'em - there's a few in my Sketchbook if you scroll down - some torso diagrams and then a female torso study...but don't look at the male torso study! Aaarggghhhh.....

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Sweet drawing!!.. You have all the great forms there. I do believe you can go further into the small details and accents here and there to really give it that last 10%. Love the last dude. He really look like some guy who can act as a vampire in Blade...
    -JS Neo

"Choose only one master.. Nature. " Rembrandt

"The only time I feel alive is when I'm painting." Van Gogh
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Fine Art Journey - Feel Free to come in and take a look !!

Sketchbook - Less Update !!

My Art Blog

Thanks
    Rebecca- I know! We're all burrowed at night in our nerd tunnels with our nerd radars on trying to find each other in the dark

JeffX99- I checked out your sketchbook! Left you a msg

Mydrako- Thanks! Yeah, I definitely have to put more details in, sharpen up my cast shadows.

Thanks
    It was nice to have been finally introduced to you today You should post more of your drawings -- they are beautiful, including the one you did today!

Thanks
    bkkm- Nice to meet you too! I promise I will bring that book for you Wed

I am taking a Glen Orbik head drawing class this semester at 3Kicks in Pasadena, and today was the first class. It was so awesome! Glen's demo was so rad and I feel like already I've learned so much. After his demo and lecture, we drew a pose that totaled about 1 hour. I was pretty surprised about how my drawing turned out because I have never gotten that far in an hour. Usually I'm pretty slow and I work on the block in and the composition for the first twenty minute session, and then more block in and shadow shape construction for the next 2 twenty minute sessions. I've never been able to incorporate background unless it was a longer pose (2 hours or more), so I was pretty stoked to get some of that design in. I was feeling really, really inspired by his demo! My next step if I had more time with the model would be to fix the oddness of the lips, and continue to work on turning the form of the forehead, brow ridge, and cheeks. Overall, I had a good time drawing this amazing model (he's the best!) and it was awesome watching Glen Orbik demo
    Oh yeah, and I discovered how amazing Wolff carbon pencils are today! I've only used them for the darks in graphite drawings, and never to really draw with. They are so nice to use! Charcoal gets gritty sometimes, but the carbon pencil stayed so smooth the whole time. *sigh*

Thanks
    Super-jealous!
    Thanks for visiting my thread by the way - wrote you a note back.

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    sweet sweetness dude! i'm sooooo jealous of all you cali-peoples. <sigh> one day, maybe.

anyway, congrats on the level jump. now just keep giving us sweet updates to look at! go go!
    -A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

Thanks
    The teeth on the portrait of the guy with the mohawk are great,

Thanks
    Could you show us some steps of the next drawing ?

Thanks
    Your sketchbook looks great! Although some images aren't loading for me, it must be my internet connection. I'm actually looking to transfer to Laguna this fall or next spring, I have a tour this friday! Id appreciate if you'd check out my sketchbook and tell me what you think (I've just recently started getting back on this so go to my second page for up to date stuff!) Thank you! Again, your drawings are great!
    "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."
    Matthew 7:3-5

Sketchbook

Email>>MRRhoades@rocketmail.com