Sketchbook: This pencil of mine is burning red,its roar tells me to grasp victory.Burning Pencil! - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres some more stuff
    Name:  scan0030.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  41.5 KB

Name:  scan0032.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  18.1 KB

Name:  scan0022.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  46.1 KB

Name:  scan0023.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  47.7 KB

Name:  scan0024.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  61.1 KB

Name:  scan0028.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  57.5 KB

Name:  scan0029.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  41.1 KB

Last edited by Diarum; April 24th, 2010 at 05:52 PM.
    The Penvirates:: Xeon_OND :: PermaN00b:: Kamber Parrk :: Cygear ::Diarum

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I kinda feel like this group of updates suck, i'm not sure why. It feels like its all gesture drawings lol, and my memory sucks lol. Something that I really need to work on a lot like 150%. My thumb hurts for some reason so I didn't do any draws to day to try and get it to heal so it doesn't hurt so much. Updates coming in a of hours.

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude, this is a lot of work for one day. great job! try and be more aware of proportions in those gestures. not that that's the main point of gesture, but you don't want to get used to making proportional mistakes. just keep looking and thinking...and taking that sketchbook with you to the bathroom when you take a poo. keep this pace up and you'll be going places!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yea your right, on my boxer if he was about to puch someone the thumbs would be pointing towards his body. thanks for the crit man

yea im in highschool too getting serious about drawing and stuff keep up the studies man at first your thinking its not sinking in but eventually your going to get more knowlegable

i would say like do pose maniacs like your doing before but take the time to analyze the proportions of the body, an when you do draw in muscles, eventually your work will pay off.

what grade are you in? im a jr =D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if you look around on pose maniacs you can do the random pose viewer which alows you to take as much time as you need. the weird thing about pose maniacs is some of the views are like extreme over head which are hard to get because of forshortening, which is a bitch to learn.
    its easier if you find a straight on angle ya know when you studying anatomy at first=D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lilhomang - I'll keep that in mind but lol these are 60 sec gestures so it is really hard to get it proportional lol and lot of the poses are crazy and stuff. lol I'll try and take my sketchbook in the bathroom when I have to do what I do.
    Lightmode108 - I posted this in your SB but I'm senior. I'll keep it in mind but 60 sec is a pretty short time to analyze and draw right in time. I know I repeated myself from what was in your SB but I'd looks like a douche for not answering you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So yea this was the batch of drawings that I thought really sucked and kinda rushed (fail) so yea they suck big time, well more then normal. So I am going to set up goals for myself. The goal is gonna be to do an two hours of still life drawings an hour of anatomy(memorizing) and hopefully another hour of gestures. Then Tuesday I will be getting Burne Hogarth's books from the library.
    Name:  scan0015.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  36.2 KB
    Name:  scan0016.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  43.2 KB
    Name:  scan0017.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  64.5 KB
    Name:  scan0020.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  70.3 KB

Last edited by Diarum; April 24th, 2010 at 05:53 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hey

Hey dude,
    sooo many pictures.....well, I think that I should draw gestures and poses, too.
    It is really funnny which poses you know....XD
    Keep Posting

CyGear

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, that's what i call an update post moar!

{I know you want to click -----> !(MY)HERE(SB)! <----- kcilc ot tnaw uoy wonk I}

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    CyGear - lol I don't know them by memory they are 60 sec poses.
    Nlete -Lol yes it was a semi big update lol, more will come in time

I think I am going to cut down on the amount posted, it will be more selected instead of EVERYTHING that I have done lol. So that save me and my mom some time and don't spam the page with 1000 pages of drawings, for the poses i'll probably do the first and last of that day. Funny thing, my mom saw the picture of the cats and shes like "you should be able to draw a cat" and i was like "...I've never draw a cat thats more advanced then a 2nd grader version of a cat." And the poses (because they look like the same poses) shes like "I've scanned all of these already why do I have to scan the same things" so I told her she didn't have to do all of them but she didn't do the older ones. But w/e so my posts will be more refined to more of a select them to just 5 pages of poses and a couple of other stuff. Moar still life coming next update. Happy Trails

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    alright I think you're focusing too much on contours remember contours are only the outside edges of FORMS, so think on forms rather than contours, but before that work on gesture

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    andres333 - Are you talking about the gesture drawings or the still life? thanks for the crit anyway

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good level of diligence and lots of studies; great to see. I'd suggest trying to use more varied lines and try drawing through the form rather than just outlining it, that will help you to think more in three dimensions and will help give volume to your drawing. Also try simplifying the poses into boxes or spheres (or combination) to understand the direction and shape of the forms more. Keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jeremygOrdOn - I don't think I think I understand what you mean by using more varied lines and try drawing through the form rather then just outlining? If you could explain further, lol I might just nor be smart enough to translate it into something that I understand lol Simplifying would be a real good idea because I seem to ave this problem just outlining everything that I see instead of doing it in a way that I would remember what it is that I am drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool to see another high schooler on the boards. I'm gonna be a senior next year not looking forward to it

Good that you're learning to draw all kinds of things. It's tough in the beginning but you just gotta keep at it. Keep working on the fundamentals...form, anatomy, value, even color if you want to jump into that.

And when you said that "some of the poses are crazy" that's because posemaniacs sucks. It's not really a good site for gestures. It's like...3d models in weird angles (seriously...they're just asses floating in the air not making any sense at all). Just collect a bunch of nudies from deviantart stock (mjranum, photo-port, etc) and time them in a slideshow and draw from those.

Hope this helps! Good luck

PS: why is your mom scanning your drawings? Do em yourself man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That would be a good idea lol but I don't think this laptop has slideshow. Lol my mom scans them because shes the only one with a scanner and she don't want me on her computer lol I tol her just to teach me and I would do it myself but she didn't want to do that so yea lol. Its not as bad as you think being a senior is fun because your on your last year and stuff don't worry about it, it will be great

p sage is offline in pursuit of hot lines Level 14 Gladiator: Dimacheri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Bridgman is always a good thing to study.

But start easier. Start with simple shapes that you can measure easily. Draw bottles. Try to see the shapes that make up a bottle. REALLY look. It's this training that will help you see the body and draw something as complex as the body very convincingly.

Yes, gesture is important; but without structure, gesture is just limp, floppy noodles flying around. Start with studies you can master.

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep up the studies! You've been given a lot of advice already, so not much to add to that. Maybe try being less "harsh" with your pencil, that is, don't press so hard, start soft and build up gradually rather than push in these dark outlines from the start.

“Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.” - Stephen King

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,425 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    just stick to it ^^ , some words for you: to learn to draw is a real though an time-consuming process, so never give up hope even if sometimes it doesnt worked out as you wished ( i know what i am talking about ^^ ! ) , just think about how great it will be in a few years of practice, art can be a bitch but on the other hand its one of the most satisfying moments in life if something you had in your mind became reality ....sometimes its even better than drugs or sex ^^ ...so just keep em coming and : draw, draw, draw !

regards
    Partisan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    p sage - Thanks for the crit, I don't know if I understand you 100% I know what you mean but starting off with easier shapes but do you mean with just the shape its self or with objects with that basic shape.
    ActonArt - I do draw light, after I am done I redraw the lines so they are easier to see.
    Partisan - It is a time consumming procees but its like you don't really know it while you are doing it it not untill after words that its like "damn I spent a lot of time doing these" but its not like it feels like a waste of time feeling or anything lol, its more like a time well spent, better then watching T.V. So true about the not working out part I hate when that happenes because its like "wth was I thinking" I do that when I look back at old pictures that i did lol. I got the time to do it. I probably live at home till I can make it on my own making art for a living. That would be a dream come true.

On a side note, I was wondering, you people reading this. What do you do when friends want to hang out, like you want to but you know that would take up like your whole day and eat up all of you drawing time. It feels kinda lame to be like "nah I got some studies to do" because its like now your by yourself and you know that they are having fun. It would be worth it when I get good enough, but its like I think it should take SOME time just to do stuff. You know what I mean. But then its like I think of the fact that there are people studying right now that with that little bit of time will get better then me faster and stay better and get more jobs. Because its all a compition(kinda) just like thats why Dave from Crimson Daggers like moved to the mountains and spends like 14 hours a day working/studying. I dont know those, thoughts or opinions would be Nice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Diarum View Post
    p sage - Thanks for the crit, I don't know if I understand you 100% I know what you mean but starting off with easier shapes but do you mean with just the shape its self or with objects with that basic shape.
    ActonArt - I do draw light, after I am done I redraw the lines so they are easier to see.
    Partisan - It is a time consumming procees but its like you don't really know it while you are doing it it not untill after words that its like "damn I spent a lot of time doing these" but its not like it feels like a waste of time feeling or anything lol, its more like a time well spent, better then watching T.V. So true about the not working out part I hate when that happenes because its like "wth was I thinking" I do that when I look back at old pictures that i did lol. I got the time to do it. I probably live at home till I can make it on my own making art for a living. That would be a dream come true.

On a side note, I was wondering, you people reading this. What do you do when friends want to hang out, like you want to but you know that would take up like your whole day and eat up all of you drawing time. It feels kinda lame to be like "nah I got some studies to do" because its like now your by yourself and you know that they are having fun. It would be worth it when I get good enough, but its like I think it should take SOME time just to do stuff. You know what I mean. But then its like I think of the fact that there are people studying right now that with that little bit of time will get better then me faster and stay better and get more jobs. Because its all a compition(kinda) just like thats why Dave from Crimson Daggers like moved to the mountains and spends like 14 hours a day working/studying. I dont know those, thoughts or opinions would be Nice
    People who work hard every day get where they want to get, it's that simple. So basically just ask yourself the following question: "Do I want to be this good?" If the answer is yes, sacrifices will have to be made. I often find myself in this dilemma as well and I can promise you you're NOT alone! I go out in the weekends and spend time with my girlfriend, I pretty much can't get to drawing and it sucks. During the week I work pretty hard, lot's of work for school and I try to do some studies every day as well.

You have to get your mind set on this, it should be the only thing you want in life.

So should you tell your friends you can't because you have to study? I think that if they are your friends, they will accept it. I've had so called friends laugh behind my back because I stayed home to "draw", those people are not friends.

Also;
    p sage is very much right! Start off with really simple forms and get THOSE right first, before you want to get into anatomy and complicated studies. You have to understand how everything is three dimensional, put a box in front of you, draw it and try to understand how it falls into perspective, visualize the box rotating in your head and draw it in many different positions. Do the same for cylinders etc...

I would seriously wait with studying anatomy, because I'm not sure you completely understand what you are drawing like you're supposed to understand it, you need to study those muscle groups because you have to know how to fit them on the human skeleton, but you can't do that if you don't understand 3D shapes.

I'm going to be honest and say that, though there is slight improvement, most of the stuff in here is still at a very amateur level and basically it can be blamed on one thing; You're not looking.

Long post, I know, but I like to help and I hope this will open up your eyes, because I needed a speech like this one as well when I first started, I too was drawing with my eyes closed at first, till someone forced me to open them.

To sum things up;
    - LOOK at what you are drawing
    - STRAIGHT lines to start off with a general form which you will then refine
    - PROPORTIONS are being ignored in some drawings, measure and compare!! If something is 1 tall and 1,5 wide, draw it like that!
    - COMPARE everything you draw. How tall is the nose compared to the width of the eyes?...

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Cranberry For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good so far! Just keep getting used to the human form and it will get easier each time you do it. Muscle studies are good and all, but I found 'gesture drawings' to help a lot with getting it down.

What those are: Look at a real life picture/model and quickly draw a mess of scribbles in the form of what you see. At first it will be very illegible- almost like a random mess - but as you go the scribbles will start to take shape and look more and more like the figures. Doing this helps you see the way the human shape naturally moves and sits, giving you a base to put all those muscle studies together with.

Anyways, hope to see more from you, and good practicing man!

- Hobo Lyra
    Creating Pictures, one Coke at a time!

Check and crit my SKETCHBOOK!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cranberry - yea I get you can only have what you sacrifice, thats true. lol Its kinda like I spent think amount of time but only this good. So idk you right. I need to change my mind set on studies. I thought that is what he meant but doing still lifes with items that are squares and cylinders and others.
    hobo lyra - lol I'll try it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the critman i will espieciall work on faces and try to slim down my guys, because your right, not everyone is buff as shit =D.

i have the same dilemma with all my friends wanting to hang out which conflcts with my drawing schedule. the thing is with me all my friends do is drive around my town looking for parties to go to which never pan out, so they just end up smoking weed all the time. whenever i do hang out with them im like FUCK THIS SHIT I COULD BE DRAWING RIGHT NOW. they think im stupid and closeminded when all i want to do is get better at something so i learned not to care. so i havent really hung out with people outside of school for a while, but i took it to an extreme. its all about balancing it, if u dont want to jeapordize your friendships then you dont have to(like what did) but if you can balance it thats really what you want to do. i hang out with my friends at school and i consider that enough.

but maybe your friends are cooler than mine and they actually do fun stuff lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well id say just balance it. I feel the same way when its like saturday night and instead of doing stuff with my friends im drawing pictures. i sorta feel dumb sometimes but i just keep drawing anyways. its good to keep that balance though, just decide for yourself what youd rather do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some poses that I was doing, I don't think they came out all that great but I got the poses for the most part. And it cuts down on the amount of stuff that has to be scanned, lol and I think I get a little more out of it. I will say though I think I spent more time on the details then the pose itself. Could work (a LOT) so yea. So my poses will come from different things like fencing and MMA and other stuff when I get around to it.
    Name:  1.JPG
Views: 241
Size:  27.2 KB
    I started off with building the pose up. I started with lines to show where the legs and arms would go and them did a broad out line of the body then refined it more and more. Still a lot of errors.
    Name:  2.JPG
Views: 245
Size:  29.9 KB
    Still life drawings, I tried it a couple of times to try and get it right, I think I got kinda close but still some problems with its. Lol so yea it would be a good thing to start off with more basic things then crazy hard shapes and stuff.
    Name:  3.JPG
Views: 247
Size:  31.7 KB
    This is Tech N9ne, if you don't know who it is
    he is a rapper. One of my favorites.
    Name:  4.JPG
Views: 250
Size:  39.6 KB

Last edited by Diarum; March 29th, 2010 at 03:24 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  5.JPG
Views: 233
Size:  31.4 KB

Name:  7.JPG
Views: 230
Size:  34.1 KB

Name:  6.JPG
Views: 232
Size:  26.5 KB

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Diarum For This Useful Post:

donalfall is offline The Cat's Deputy (POW! Moderator)
    donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some good work here. You're right in that you don't need to scan everything in. Just keep putting up a sample to show where you are. Keep on working hard & practise as much as you are. Read a few books on drawing.... if you go to the Educational sections here on the forums you'll almost definately find some links for pdf's of the Loomis books.

P.O.W.! - All the Comic Challenges you can handle

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    donalfall - Yea I don't know why but I seem to want to scan everything lol, but some thing I am gonna work on. I have all of the Loomis and Bridgman's books on pdf, though every time I go to read them I get really bored.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook!
    Looks like you've had a lot of good feedback already, so sorry if I repeat any of what is said.
    I was looking at what I assume is posemaniacs (judging by the poses) and I think that's a nice addition to your studies. Bear in mind though, that posemaniacs is mainly meant as an addition to gesture drawing. Posemaniacs will force you to observe quickly, and get it down on paper which helps when you're out and about trying to draw people.
    Make shure you go out on the street/ to the park/ into town or whatever and get some gestures down. As for posemaniacs, as someone already mentioned, they don't have any sense of weight but I still think they're good for practicing observational skills. Try to think about the construction however, you seem to be focusing on the outline, and I think it would be better to think more about the construction. Bridgman is really good for this, as he simplifies the body into geometric shapes. Try to do the posemaniacs in his style to focus more on the construction.
    Keep truckin'

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5