Thanks

A painting a day

I am just learning painting, and to speed the learning along I am going to be a doing a painting every day for the rest of the semester (and quite possibly longer, but at least until April 21st). I am starting out doing black and white still lives, and then I am going to move up into color and interiors/landscapes/figures.

The rules:
    2-3 hours each
    10 1/4 x 9 1/2

I'm going to show the two paintings I did right at the beginning of the semester so you see how utterly horrible they are. Gross.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2uojr5k.jpg
    http://i49.tinypic.com/27y1zjd.jpg

the first three are acrylics, and the most recent two are oils.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Nice studies! When you paint your daily studies do you use thumbnails for composition or do you start right into the painting? Keep it up

Thanks
    prufrock27: I haven't been doing thumbnails, I've just been going at it, but certainty not a bad idea

I've been sick since yesterday (so no painting on Sunday. Ahah, Sunday was spent wanting to curl up and die), a bit better now, but anyway, here's the paintings from Friday and Saturday.

Friday's was horrible. It was hard staring into the light when it was on, and I just ended up getting rid of the cloth that was heaped around the bottom on the jar.

Thanks
    very good... and u know when i was learning painting ..i also thought the same thing...i painting a day... but after 4 days i couldn't continue...then it became irregular and then i stopped...i hope u do not make the mistake i made...

Thanks
    nope. Well, I've made it to day 8

I think this one's turned out well; compositionally and lighting wise it seems to be better realized then some of my other paintings.

Thanks
    I've been painting but not updating. Last few days:

Thanks
    While very few of these artists produce a new painting every single day.

Thanks
    I think u have some proportion and placement problems. I would think u can tackle your ability to place shapes and mass correctly by first doing more drawing. It being an easier medium will let u concentrate on improving your judgement instead of tackling the difficulty in painting at the same time. Maybe you can alternate between a charcoal drawing and a painting each day. Just my 2 cents
    -JS Neo

"Choose only one master.. Nature. " Rembrandt

"The only time I feel alive is when I'm painting." Van Gogh
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Fine Art Journey - Feel Free to come in and take a look !!

Sketchbook - Less Update !!

My Art Blog

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mydrako View Post
    I think u have some proportion and placement problems. I would think u can tackle your ability to place shapes and mass correctly by first doing more drawing. It being an easier medium will let u concentrate on improving your judgement instead of tackling the difficulty in painting at the same time. Maybe you can alternate between a charcoal drawing and a painting each day. Just my 2 cents
    I've been getting this comment pretty regularly, I can see that generally, my proportions are skewed, but I am not sure about the specifics, could you point out a specific area in a painting? ahhH! I disturbs me that I can't see how bad they are.

I've been trying to focus more on proportions the past few days (especially on the cup). I've been using my brush to measure, etc etc.

Thanks
    You're having most of your problems with elipses, they are very wobbly. Also keep a look out on your angles. I actually don't think you're having a problem with proportions for the most part, but off angles and elipses and generally skewed items are what make it seem so. you adding a little bit of color in the recent ones is nice and works very well. Keep it up!
    "A drawing is not necessarily academic because it is thorough, but only because it is dead. Neither is a drawing necessarily academic because it is done in what is called a conventional style, any more than it is good because it is done in an unconventional style. The test is whether it has life and conveys genuine feeling."- Harold Speed
    [[Sketchbook]]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pariano View Post
    You're having most of your problems with elipses, they are very wobbly. Also keep a look out on your angles. I actually don't think you're having a problem with proportions for the most part, but off angles and elipses and generally skewed items are what make it seem so. you adding a little bit of color in the recent ones is nice and works very well. Keep it up!
    Defiantly on the ellipses. I've been doing these all in one sitting, I think taking a break in the middle and then coming back to it will help me to better see the problems I've been having with ellipses, as now I tend to only notice them a few days latter when I really take the time to look at the painting.

Thanks for all of the well thought out advice!

Thanks
    Haven't been having the time to photograph the huge stack daily painting yet, but heres a few longer paintings.

Thanks
    I fail at updates: