Pad size for figure drawing?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Pad size for figure drawing?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Pad size for figure drawing?

I'm trying to hit up the figure drawing again, but I'm feeling a little constrained trying to do such fine detail on the face etc. I'm intending to pick up my old 2h clutch pencil again, so I can keep a fine point which might help, but I'm curious if paper size is much of a factor.

I use A4 for everything I do, simply because I don't have space to store any bigger artwork in my room. I find it fine for environments and vehicles, but figures I'm not particularly skilled or knowledgeable with, and thus unsure of.

What sizes are you guys using?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there,

I've used 9x12 and 11x14, I like both. But I find the 9x12 is most versatile for me as I ususally draw as I'm out and about and it's MUCH easier to take with me.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jen Wardell For This Useful Post:

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,878 Times in 2,354 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    B2 (18x24) is the size I think best for drawing. Anything smaller you really aren't moving your arm. Even my sketchbook is 11x17 unless I'm backpacking somewhere and I am concerned about the weight. Especially for gesture you want to really draw from the shoulder. It forces you to draw at arms length, also small sizes mask inaccuracy, it is so much easier to make a dot for an eye than it is to actually have to draw an eye. Newsprint is cheap, draw large, you will learn a lot faster if you do.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Zazerzs is offline ....bing me the bore worms Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    18 x 24 is the life drawing standard.

But leave that pencil behind and choose another medium for working larger. 2H will not give you a strong enough line esp on newsprint.

Goodluck.

"Talent is a word found in the mouth of the lazy to dismiss the hard work of those who have achieved."
    Anatomy Thread
    Sketchbook
    Interested in learning more about color? Read this!
    Fletcher:Color Control

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zazerzs For This Useful Post:

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,369 Times in 3,592 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I use A4 as well as it's easy to cart around and I have to travel across town on public transport to life drawing.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Previous poster is correct, 2h isn't good for drawing. My standard is a 3-4b... I mean, I use an entire set but that's what I like for doing real work.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jen Wardell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You should clarify if you're planning on drawing from the model or just studying the figure.

There are a great number of considerations when choosing paper size for life drawing. Space is a primary concern; if you're seated and crammed into a small area, a smaller pad becomes a necessity. If you're able to draw standing at an easel at arm's length, then draw on the largest paper you can. Most people opt for newsprint for most of their life drawing. Another consideration is your preferred surface -- working at an ideal size may not help if you can't find a surface you enjoy working with.

As others noted, a 2H clutch pencil is a bad choice for life drawing. Graphite, being a grey color, doesn't really show up on newsprint very well. I lean toward graphite chunks or sticks of at least 4B when I do use it. I prefer cont or charcoal of various types, as graphite is a very slippery material to work with (industrial lubricant that it is).

If this is instructed life drawing, your teacher may have suggestions for drawing materials for specific exercises.

Hope this is helpful,

~R

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rpace For This Useful Post:

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    As mentioned paper size is a very important factor. I wouldn't work any smaller than 16x20 - 18x24 - B4 is typical. The other important factor has also been mentioned - setting up your surface vertically and drawing from the shoulder at arm's length. If you are new to that mode it can feel awkward at first - just keep at it though. Also everyone mentioned your medium which is important too - I would recommend sketching and laying in with vine charcoal then using compressed to develop value. Also get a chamois for both wiping off, blending and applying broad tone - and a large kneaded eraser (or six) for sure. Charcoal pencils are good tools as well but take a lot of proper sharpening.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I use 11*17 custom-cut Desert Storm paper from Kelly Paper in So Cal. It's really good for 20~30 min figure drawings. I don't bother with B2 size paper unless I am doing an hour drawing.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gogidolim For This Useful Post:

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Cool gogidolim - I would love to get some custom size toned paper I could bind into sketchbooks. Did you tap into that through their website or? I'll do a search and see what turns up. Thanks for the tip!

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    Cool gogidolim - I would love to get some custom size toned paper I could bind into sketchbooks. Did you tap into that through their website or? I'll do a search and see what turns up. Thanks for the tip!
    Sorry for the late reply. Actually I went to a local Kelly Paper store nearby.

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Once you master the 3x3 size THEN you can move up grasshoppah!

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.