Sketchbook: Daily efforts and latest endeavors!(Updated 2 to 3 times a week though ;D ) - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Daily efforts and latest endeavors!(Updated 2 to 3 times a week though ;D )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Overlayed color on this one and finalized it. Contrary to what several tutorials state, I'm not a huge fan of the greyscale color overlay technique....i've tried it before but it doesn't quite do it for me. I like the outcome of this one, yet I think it couldve had a better presentation had I used a full color pallette initially. Well, experience is always good

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi mate, great sketchbook. I can see a lot of improvement from the start. Still life paintings especially, the glass bottle on the previous page is awesome.
    The leather jacket on this guy looks great. Think the folds/values on the jeans could do with tweaking

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Varmint: Thanks for dropping by! The 2nd half of the last page is probably where i've improved the most; im glad you also think so
    Yea those folds were killing me! I'm still studying drapery from a couple of sources but I never thought it'd be so intimidating!

Here's my entry for this week's CoW! I wont be home tonight and kinda forgot about it, so the blood splatter are a little rushed but I learned a lot about textures by playing around with this!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I tweaked a couple more things I noticed wrong on my peruvian dude, mainly on the facial structure, and below it, a piece that took me several days!
    I tried using textures sparingly, and did most everything with the round or flat preset brushes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ive been away from my computer since saturday, just studing anatomy from bridgeman and loomis and practicing the basics so here's a quick digital I did for fun but ended up tweaking more than I thought I would

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A loomis dummy/muscle contruction study I did today for the sake of improving my crappy anatomy. Kinda gave it an alien head just for the hell of it, I thought itd be fun

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You got a good sense of form in that last study, keep it up!

Princes of the Universe
    ~AdamSimons~~JustCallMeBruce!~~JamesSimons~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Adamsimons, I used full construction for that one and it seems to be working well!

Heres a random doodle, a quick dog study on molskine(I need to learn the proper shading technique for this type of paper) and a concept tank, although it is still unfinished and could use a few details but theyre not coming to me right now so ill give it a day or two before I tackle it again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey,

Some great stuff since the last time I was here

The tank and the lizard monster designs are sweet. I really like the monster's eyes & head.

I think it would help to be more aware of your light direction, it doesn't look 100% consistent in your pieces (eg the peruvian dude has a rimlight on his cheek, but it's not on the jacket, the tank has different values on all the front facing planes, that kind of thing).

Hope this helps

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kvetch View Post
    Hey,

Some great stuff since the last time I was here

The tank and the lizard monster designs are sweet. I really like the monster's eyes & head.

I think it would help to be more aware of your light direction, it doesn't look 100% consistent in your pieces (eg the peruvian dude has a rimlight on his cheek, but it's not on the jacket, the tank has different values on all the front facing planes, that kind of thing).

Hope this helps
    Thanks Kvetch, I have just noticed the light source accuracy that youre talking about. I think I did this to highlight some parts, but forgot about the whole whilst doing the details. Thanks, ill keep this in mind from now on!

I tried tackling my issue with painting different types of texture, so I did a few material sphere studies. The rock and wood ones look the most complex, but really, it was the grass sphere that took me ages to get right(it still looks a bit off though, grass is hard grrr)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SandyMan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol nice textures on that last post. Great idea Nice sketchbook you have here! It really makes me want to hope back on the wacom and start painting, try to hold off for a while. Cant wait to see more!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph Church For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,121 Times in 394 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Those material spheres are pretty cool man, and your traditional work's really good, particularly the drapery studies with chalk. Digital work is looking great overall, my only crit for your illustrations and such is that I'm seeing a lot of sharp edges where they don't necessarily need to be. You could try adding mists, smoke, shadows, whatever to fade things out more gently, or experiment with softening up the edges and leaving the form implied. Keep it up.

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I would like to hike to the North Pole. I have a shoe and a ham sandwich. What do I do next?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks chocobo, ill keep that in mind! I had really not noticed, or been thinking of softer edges, good reminder

So my girlfriend found a skull study I did in-class and was kind enough to take a picture of it for me

http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/a...ndroskull2.png

Looking in retrospect, maybe I should of worked a little more on the ground are. We had 3 classes to finish this and I was going batshit insane over finishing the skull XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ive been working on and off on that 3 character sheet. I was buisy this week so I did it by small chunks. Lots of experimentation! Im learned a lot with these, specially on that last monster thingamajig

And first image is just some experimentation using hard light, opacity and linear dodge, nothing fancy but thought I would post it anyways.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woa! Mega upload!! Im loving the paintings! Its coming along real nicely! The first one looks like a monster ironman!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Joe777k7, ive been experimenting a lot lately!

The first 4 are 20 minute environments to loosen up, and I liked the outcome of the 4th one a lot so I took another 3 hours on it to refine it and render the image a bit more. Ive been taking it easy and taking a small break from drawing to give some time to language learning...so this was a treat for myself.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can see improvement throughout your sketchbook - nice job!

I like the material spheres you did, the grass one is pretty good and it does look difficult to do.

Those thumbnails you did are good for twenty minutes, wow I paint soo much slower. The final one has a nice sense of perspective (some of the others are kinda flat). I like that these have more of a traditional look to them while much of your other stuff looks very cg. You draw really well, I think you should try to use that in your digital work, in my opinion anyway

Nice sketchbook - keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks Wholewheat_keyboard ! Sometimes I get carried away with the digital advantages and try out new stuff which renders my stuff very CG, but im aiming to get more adept at using different brushes instead of layers or textures to make it more painterly!

I fixed my previous enviro a little and made this new one. we've had electricity problems at home and I havent been around much so this sketch took me long. Im still trying to fit as much content as I can without using several texture layers or fancy effects, just a couple of textures. Everything was done with two brushes. I think I might go back to fix this one a little after a while

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, sorry missed a ton of updates :o

The environment thumbs are great I think the latest snow capped mountains one is too saturated, and needs more indication of space between the fore/mid/background. Also, that skull study is awesome.

The texture sphere studies are a nice idea, I'm going to have to have a go at that.

Hang on...

Here, I did a quick little paintover of the mountains to show what I mean. Hope you don't mind
    It's very crude but hopefully you can see what I'm on about. harder edges in the foreground, more atmosphere, removed that little cove because the lighting made it look like it was hovering above the water. I thought it might be cool if you have some grass half in the light in the foreground... I think the water is still too blue.

I dunno, just a suggestion. Hope this doesn't cause any offense

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That skull drawing is awesome!

As an advice, try doing more color studies, still life's are best for that.
    It will cast more life into your artwork.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kvetch, thanks man no offense taken at all, your approach to it makes a lot more sense than my vision. Also, I meant to edit that little cove thing but never did, thanks on that too! Ill pay your SB a little visit soon! Try out the texture studies, they are pretty fun and you can learn a lot from them

Thanks for the visit, Icecold! Yea the skull was fun, but very frustrating haha, we had like 3 classes to do it from begginning to end to some part feel somewhat undesireably rushed

Ill do more color studies from photo refs soon!

Here are some pencil sketches I did a while ago but never uploaded due to the lack of a scanner. The first two were done on A4 paper, they started off as really loose sketches so the proportions a re a little off and the perspective is too but I kinda like the concept of both. All the other ones were done on a moleskine pocket notebook....they are pretty fucking tiny XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ive been really buisy lately but got a few chances to practice gestures and do random stuff for fun; here are a few sketches

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ahhh man latest entry's are wicked. And of course those textural studies are great too. Your light and shade have improved greatly since i saw this SB last, well done man!

Really like this your really smooth creatures are interesting, keep on going with them.

Keep it up !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I picked my lazy ass up again and took advantage of my free time in the past 2 days to whip these studies up!!! The sitting pose took me 7 hours and the standing one about 5 to 6.

I did not use the eyedropper tool, except for maybe a couple of times on the sitting pose when I could just not get those tones. Did a lot of squinting for these ones, and I can honestly say that I learned A LOT about light/shadow and skin tones with these excersices! Ill do more in the future

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those last 2 women look great. excellent job!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woah, nice updates mate :o
    Nice work on those skin tones! I love the enviro sketches in #143

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ive been really buisy lately but ive sneaked in a few moleskine sketches and a random enviro, ill be posting the other moelskines later!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    An enviro I did on a rainy sunday afternoon, I just played around a bit with brushes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Three moleskine sketches I got in during my free time, I learned a lot from playing with hard pencils with these excersises

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6