Sketchbook: Daily efforts and latest endeavors!(Updated 2 to 3 times a week though ;D ) - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Daily efforts and latest endeavors!(Updated 2 to 3 times a week though ;D )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The red robot in post#71:
    If the light comes from the right, I dont think there should be any light on the sword in this angle.

btw, I like the boxing scenes and your material studies.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    umbravita: Thanks dude, although I still have to work on reflections XD
    shockowaffel : Oh the light source is coming from a somewhat diagonal point. Imagine a line at about a 45 degree angle from the edge of the hilt....its something like that But it does look a bit awkward now that you mention it....

Well, ive been working on this for about 4 hours now. I wanted to finish it tonight because ill be at a birthday tomorrow and on saturday too....guess ill have to wait till sunday to finish this
    Again, TONS of experimentation with brushes(using 5 for this one), special layers and textures. It looks like a pretty successful experiment to me though, cant wait to finish it!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Almost done!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey! there's definetly improvement form your first pages to this one, so keep working at it.
    On your last image, the bear's teeth are too white, if there's a bluish ambient light in your picture it should also fall on the bears teeth.Also the hand that is holding the axe looks more like a mitten since there are no knuckles or fingers visible, unless that's what you intended.

Keep it up! I like the study of the boxers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voodoo Mama: Hey man, thanks! Yea, you're right about the teeth, and that hand too, expecially that hand. It was supposed to look like a big stumo to emphasize power, but in the end it looks like a kitchen mitt.....i'm having a retarded amout of trouble getting fur right

Here's a piece for fun. Experimentation with textures again. I can't find the secret to painting clouds. It's been like an hour and I can't paint a half decent cloud so I just left it like this

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A super short enviro study that started off as a quick sketch for fun again. This was 30 minutes! I think i'm ready to try a more ambitious enviro now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This took me like, 5 hours I think. Ive been out and about these past 2 days so i've worked on this one sporadically. Well, this is my first ''long'' enviro attempt, i'll start a 2nd one now! I think i'll come back to this one later and retouch the grass texture and the sky.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would recommend to study from what exists (life, or photo studies as a second option) before attempting to paint from imagination. That will help you with the cloud problem as well as just getting more accurate/believable colors shapes and texture in general. Try copying from life or photo, then put it away and do a similar but different scene but from your imagination, without looking, this will help your images look more realistic.

Hey you! Yes, you! Crit me!

My CA.org Sketchbook 1 Last page Bashing much needed and appreciated!
    My daily art blog (all the junk and personal crap that my CA sketchbook doesn't have)

Feel free to shoot me a pm anytime~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudcan View Post
    I would recommend to study from what exists (life, or photo studies as a second option) before attempting to paint from imagination. That will help you with the cloud problem as well as just getting more accurate/believable colors shapes and texture in general. Try copying from life or photo, then put it away and do a similar but different scene but from your imagination, without looking, this will help your images look more realistic.
    I can't argue against that; and I jumped right at it ;D
    You're right, I needa practice on this. Although practicing enviros is a lot more feasible from photos than life, at least in my case ATM

Two quick cloud studies, one soft brush and one hard brush(experimenting to see what suits me better)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One of my final WIPS for this week's CHOW!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I forgot to upload the final. So well, here's the final.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I havent done much mainly because I was supposed to go to canada on satuday......if it wasnt for hurricane irene. so im pissed, and annoyed abot the fact that I have to wait until thursday. And to give myself a little reward for patience, I decided to paint my favorite megaman X maverick. Storm eagle, in case you don't recognize him.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Storm eagle!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last day before I can finally travel to canada, so this'll be my last post in a while as i'll be very buisy getting settled and all that which comes together when one starts living on his own in a foreign country and doesnt know SHIT about SHIT.

So here, a 30 minute turtle which I do not want to finish and 2 li'l critters which i did totally not do while under chemical influence:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 925 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    great use of texture variety!!!

hope canada is good to you! make sure you drink some Canada Dry for me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm done with my first year at Max the Mutt, where I finished the mandatory VAL
    (visual arts literacy) program, which doesn't include any concept art programs but the fundamentals for art; Gestures, modeling, Principles of Drawing, painting, perspective, watercolors, etc. etc.

I'm back in peru for vacations, and tons of work to upload, yet most of it stayed at school for open house and grading so my girlfriend will take pictures of my work once open house is over! Here I have a few sketches I did during first week off.

The enviros are clocked at 1 hour, while the waterfall clocked at 1 and 1/2 hours. The monochrome creature clocked at 2 and 1/2 hours and the dude with the sword took me about 4 hours. These are literally the only studies ive been able to do on my own, as college is cranking the hell outta me and my free time! I definitely feel the improvement....not only is my line quality now a gazillion times better(it used to be stiff as hell) but painting class has also helped me compare tones and color a lot better, hence the the fact that these studies took me only a small chunk of time, whereas before starting school they would take me more than twice the time. So here are my latest sketches!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A 5B point to point/tonal study that took me an hour 10 minutes or so, and my first attempt at finalizing a vehicle(with the skills learning in my vehicle design class). I did the grid and the linework for the car itself freehanded on an A4 paper, then scanned it and painted it. Doing those wheels manually took me FOREVER, wheels are such an impossible feat

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been studying a couple anatomy books and different painting techniques for hours these days, making the best out of my vacations to get better!
    The first couple of faces are horrid, but are definitely coming along now.
    Also, a painting and a black/white conte durer study.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I first saw the page thinking, "this guy's gonna be good."
    I'm here on this page and you've already proved me right.
    Keep making good use of variety and textures... And good variety!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by K uroi View Post
    I first saw the page thinking, "this guy's gonna be good."
    I'm here on this page and you've already proved me right.
    Keep making good use of variety and textures... And good variety!
    Thank Kuroi! I've been working very hard to get better over the past year, and of course tried to expand on the variety of my work as much as I can

Here are a couple of quick sketches experimenting with color and reflected light.

And a couple of environments, the first one was about 2 hours and the 2nd one was way longer...no idea how long XD. I experimented a LOT with textures in the 2nd one. Mabe way too much

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, my girlfriend just sent me a couple of filed from my schoolwork, there's still one missing but i'll upload them tomorrow, hopefully!

And here's a painting which I didn't finish. Why? Well, because of the process itself. We didn't really have to ''paint'' our setup, rather, we spent several classes doing small dots, and just basically trying to break down the setup into hundreds of dots of different hues and values. It was pretty damn hard!

And finally, my drapery study using charcoal and white conte on dark gray canson paper. I'm proud of this one

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see a lot of improvement compared to your early work. I like it.

Please, excuse me for the possible errors in my English.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been doing lots of sketches and stuff over the weekend, but mainly an environment, fooling around a ton with...everything. Perspective, color, contrast, textures, multiple photo refs, etc. I know the clouds look odd, but honestly, I cannot figure out how on earth to finish that negative space :/
    And its annoying me to death.

Also, here's a 1 hour painting of a bottle that I could not finish because I had to leave, although I do like the relatively small margin of error I made even though it was quick. At least it's definitely an improvement!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The drapery study is absolutely gorgeous, really great use of light tones, the wine bottle is also real good due to it's simplicity and color.

I think some of your digital portraiture can seem a bit flat, but I mean u did note that earlier and looking at those great evangellion-esk portraits I'd say you're really solving those elements.

Defiantly want to see some more digital and color work as i think you're traditional skills are better atm

Also, I don't know when you did that KILLER Armour piece but before I clicked on the thumbnail of this thread I thought it was a reference photo!

Keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by S.F.Batchelor View Post
    The drapery study is absolutely gorgeous, really great use of light tones, the wine bottle is also real good due to it's simplicity and color.

I think some of your digital portraiture can seem a bit flat, but I mean u did note that earlier and looking at those great evangellion-esk portraits I'd say you're really solving those elements.

Defiantly want to see some more digital and color work as i think you're traditional skills are better atm

Also, I don't know when you did that KILLER Armour piece but before I clicked on the thumbnail of this thread I thought it was a reference photo!

Keep up the good work.
    Thanks bachelor, my drapery study was a favorite among my teachers and, I think, the one piece that demonstrates my current level. I put an insane amount of effort into that study.
    I've been trying to correct the flat-ness of my digital work, which I think came from the fact that my knowledge on how to utilize warms and cools was underdeveloped, so I couldn't properly convey my work giving the illusion of depth. The armor piece I did from a photo ref a while ago, I did like it a lot haha, hence changing my SB picture to it XD

And here's a little lazy piece I slowly worked over the last couple of days

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, i'm trying to fix my webcam(apparently most dell's of my same model have a webcame problem) because it only open the picture frame option but no the actual TAKE PICTURE option grrrrr, I have lots of pen sketches I want to upload!

Also here's my take on this week's ChoW, ''King of Hell'', still trying to get a little out of my comfort zone with chroma.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i've been working on trying to make my work look less flat, and alas, here's my progress. I re-did this face several times, doing a lot of experimentation with values and saturation to see what it is I was doing wrong. This is my end product, which I think looks way better than my previous attempts a few posts ago. Really, I think my main mistake was that I exaggerated the proportions of warm too cool just too much, so instead of making images pop out they looked like flat portions of color instead. I kept the saturation low for the cools, yet the values were not close to black or white, just in the middle.

Also, a few 20 minute pencil sketches of a bird, crow, rattlesnake and a moray eel on moleskine and some pen sketches i'm doing to improve my line quality.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy

Terrible week so far, this came out...nothing like I wanted it to. There's a lot I could do to improve it but the composition is already screwed, I'm afraid, and I'm fresh out of ideas for it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo, thanks for taking a look at my sketchbook! You've improved a lot just on this page, your studies from life kick butt!
    I've noticed when you paint characters you mostly seem to ever draw them in rather stiff standing poses and you move their arms around and make them hold up heavy looking weapons without shifting the weight of their body to compensate. So, I suggest working on your gesture a bit
    Keep it up!

sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vertical : No problem mate, keep working hard at it! You're right about the stiffness of my characters, i've been working away at it by dedicating one or two hours of anatomy/object gestures. It's not natural for me so I really have to ingrain it into my mind, but ill get better

Here's my WIP for this week's CoW, try to stay away from spiky monsters and all that jazz this time, concentrating more on composition and simplicity of design.

The 2nd piece is an inside joke. As there has never been a peruvian fighting game character in well...a single fighting game(we have no native martial arts), me and my friends would always make fun of what a peruvian fighter would look like. So this is my attempt at creating a feasible peruvian fighter. Ive only done greyscale but I need to add color in order to finish some details i've planned for it; it's still a WIP

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6