Thanks

coaxing the fire under my ass

This thread may be better suited for the Art Discussion forum, but I wasn't sure and I think its fine here.

A fire has recently been lit under my ass (a fire that shouldve been lit years ago) and I'm really looking to put a lot more effort into improving my art skills... Up until now, I've kind of just coasted through my art classes and done all of my assignments in order to get a grade, and I've improved, but I could be so much better right now if I tried harder.

Possibly my greatest flaw is my reliance on pictures to draw faces and bodies. Give me a picture and I'll grid that shit and make a picture-perfect replica in pen or pencil or what-have-you. Gridding my pictures was a good place to begin, but its something that I shouldve stopped doing a long time ago, but I kept doing it because I was never discouraged from doing it and my pictures still got the envy of the class (sorry if i sound like im patting myself on the back here, not trying to sound smug). However, if you tell me to draw a person or a human figure without anything to look at, I'll draw something that looks like somebody who has never taken art classes has drawn. I use reference pictures for all of my drawings (buildings and environments in particular), but I can't use them for the human face or body... I can't pick and choose different elements from different faces, or I cant take one face and draw it in a different expression. I can only draw a face in the exact position it is in from the picture I am looking at, and the same goes for hands and other body parts / gestures.

So basically, I was wondering what the best way to go would be. I know what you're thinking: you're on conceptart.org! theres infinite amounts of tutorials and lessons here! what the fuck else do you need to know? Well, I've always preferred to kind of teach myself things, and uploading all of my sketches/artwork for peer review and critique is tedious and a major pain in my ass. Not to mention the whole fact that conceptart.org is online, on my computer... Host to a million distractions. Its sad, but atleast I can acknowledge the fact that I lack the will power to stay on subject when im on my computer.

So, I was thinking that my best option would probably be to check out / buy some "how-to" art books regarding portraits, anatomy, gestures, etc. Are there any particular books that I should look into? Or maybe this is a terrible idea and there are some other options / ideas. I'm all ears.

Also, I know that there is no magical book or course or something that will suddenly make me awesome. You get out what you put in.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 2,766 Posts
    Look in the references and inspiration section plenty info and links there

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You could always literally start a fire under your ass.

Edit: ...damnit what was I thinking. If you did that, you'd almost certainly be too distracted to draw.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Two Listen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    maybe i should draw a fire under my ass. haha

Thanks
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 277 Posts
    Don't simply draw - understand what you're drawing too!

Riven Phoenix's Structure of Man series is a great place to start, IMO. Lots of useful formulas to help you draw figures from your head.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to crossmirage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,066 Posts
    You stoke fire, you don't coax it.
    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckWeisel View Post
    You stoke fire, you don't coax it.
    Damnit I KNEW it! I knew coax wasn't the right word but I couldn't think of stoke and i didn't want to sit thinking for 10 minutes to make the right title.

Don't simply draw - understand what you're drawing too!

Riven Phoenix's Structure of Man series is a great place to start, IMO. Lots of useful formulas to help you draw figures from your head.
    Thanks, ill look into it!