Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Please delete hread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Please delete hread

EditedEditedEditedEditedEditedEditedEditedEditedEd itedEditedEditedEdited
    EditedEditedEditedEditedEditedEditedEditedEditedEd itedEditedEditedEdited

Last edited by iwasupaboveit; February 19th, 2010 at 03:48 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No, do not quit. Even if its aweful and you're not getting anything out of it.

Why?

Even if you get absolutely nothing from the "art" aspect of your degree, you ARE learning other things that apply to life. You will walk out of there with alot more than just a degree.

Additionally, even if you did graduate with no art skill...you could possibly learn from other sources later in life and still will be able to say "I have a degree".

Additionally, where I work, gazillions of people have every degree under the sun besides the degree that they "need" to do the job. A degree says you've spend time studying in your field (or the field of your degree), but it doesn't say you're an expert. Even with an art degree, you will find that people will hire you to do things beyond just painting/drawing, etc. A degree tells them you're willing to stick it out for the long haul.

You don't want to throw all these things away. Plus, prove everyone in your life wrong.

Trust me. Stick it out. Even though it is miserable. You can do it!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Maddie000 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's really only something you can decide. For me, I don't get as much feedback as I would like. So, I just supplement it with books, videos, forums, etc. From what I've read this is common for most people at any college (having to learn stuff outside of school). My prof and colleagues do give good advice when we have critiques though, and tuition is cheap.

If you're really unhappy, are paying lots of money, then I would probably look for something else. I don't mean to advertise but...have you tried a week at TAD: Discovery? Maybe just try the two week option. I know I've learned tons and affirmed a lot, and I really can't wait until painting week comes up

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mbarq For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    EditedEditedEditedEditedEditedEditedEditedEditedEd itedEditedEditedEditedEditedEditedEditedEditedEdit edEditedEditedEditedEditedEditedEditedEditedEdited EditedEditedEditedEditedEditedEditedEdited
    EditedEditedEditedEditedEditedEditedEditedEditedEd itedEditedEditedEditedEditedEditedEditedEdited

Last edited by iwasupaboveit; February 19th, 2010 at 03:48 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Where are you in the UK? Have you checked the UK sketchgroup thread? There are regular meetings in London, (and also in Bristol and Manchester? ) And the chances are that wherever you are, in a Uni town, there are at least a few CA members within a reasonable distance for an occasional meet-up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    7,000 sounds about right for a public uni here in the states. Not that that's a good thing; art education a public institution isn't the most ideal situation. Mostly because there's a bias more towards STEM education so art departments get the shaft. Also because the amount of students who are really into their craft is low and the quality of profs are hit or miss.

As for TAD: Discovery, I don't think it's too late. There's still three more weeks of 100% pure concentrated knowledge these people are doling out: http://www.conceptartstore.com/discovery.html

Last week was Foundations, this week Illustration. There's still: drawing/painting, entertainment art, and portfolio review week. I'd shoot Scooter an e-mail to be sure: store@conceptart.org

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wasn't expecting anything amazing, but in the UK the fees are fixed, and the cost of living is generally the same everywhere outside of London, so I could have picked any uni outside of London, but I got

Last edited by iwasupaboveit; February 18th, 2010 at 08:43 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you've probably learned the most important thing about public education already: they're not going to hand out the information that you want. At this point, you just have to decide whether that degree is worth it to you.

Also consider that if you decide you want to teach at a university down the line you may need a certain level of academic accomplishment (grad. degree here in the states) to do so.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.