Thanks

Oil Paint and charcoal studies

Hi there.
    This is my first post outside of the challenge thread, and I just wanted to show some of my work. All the other stuff i've shown here has been digital, so this is the first

These are some of the studies and prep pieces I have been doing for my A2 art course. Studying figure, and I couldnít help but go for a skeleton.

The BIG yellow one is my final piece for this project, but itís not quite finished. Its about 5 feet tall. lol

Iím going to put more up, but these are all the pics that Iíve got for the moment.

Please comment and crit!
    Last edited by St. Ginger; February 11th, 2010 at 08:37 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    The skeleton painting is very unusual, I like that a lot.
    Gilead Artist on Facebook and Twitter
    website

Thanks
    Some more pics from this project.

please comment and crit.

the dancers and the horse are not my image, they're only copies for the crit section of my project.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,548 Posts
    Not much to critique actually - you're just getting started - but you are on the right track. You'll likely get more settled and focused as you grow - or not. You have a nice eye and sense of creative fun so don't lose that. The only "practical" advice I might offer is to watch your line and modeling of form - it's got a lot of energy but is distracting and not really very descriptive. In the skull studies the broken brushwork and strong, crunchy value notes work against the idea of smooth, rounded forms. Of course looking at them here is tough - they may dial right in at the proper distance so don't read too much into that. Like I said - you're on the right path - just keep going - keep pushing - slay any and all that stand between you and your dream (including those within).
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    that spiraling upward perspective is rad! I really like that idea with the skeleton. Keep experimenting

Thanks
    some more stuff. We're done for half term, so there i've photographed as much as possible at the mo.

The sketchbook pages of the foour legged monsters are concpets for a street performance costume that i am designing. They are going to be about 9 feet tall, with stilts and my legs and arms. No where near completion, but I'm looking forward to doing them.

Hope you like it.

JeffX Thanks for the tips. In GCSE, my painting style was stupidly restrained, to the point of haveing no texture what so ever. So i've been trying really hard to loosen up, but now i've over shot the mark a little! lol Now i just need to get the ballance. Thanks for the tips.

Thanks
    I finished the last touch ups on the skeleton final piece, but you can't really see the difference. Up close, there is a lot more blue and green tinting to offset the saturated yellow.

I also found the final for other project that i based on my dog. (who i have somehow managed to make look like a kangaroo. Don't know if its just the angle of the photo, but its not meant to be like that. lol)