Sketchbook: ZZGRST's Sketchbook

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

ZZGRST's Sketchbook

[EDIT 08-jul-10] I think I'll just keep uploading my stuff to my dA (zzgrst@dA) and come back when I'm better, see you there!

Hello there my good friends!

Even though I registered a long time ago, I'm a total newcomer here. I have always been tempted to join and make a sketchbook but never truly felt ready...
    until I noticed I'm just loosing precious learning time and helpful advice.

I have always loved drawing ever since I was young, but I never really got serious with it until about three years ago, until then all I did was scribble from time to time and amaze everyone around me with my bad drawings, looking back I feel it would have been great if I had someone to look up to and compete against.

Three years ago I was in my first year of college in a telecomunications engineer carreer since I had no other goal in life. Luckily for me I found DeviantArt where I found such great artists that made me notice just how terribly bad I was, this pumped me so much that I began for the first time in my life really drawing seriously, everyday.
    Eventually after 2 years, as I found out how much I loved art over everything else in my life, I decided I didn't want to study that career anymore, It was really depressing having to waste so many hours per day in something you loathe... it took me one year to "convince" (more like argue and fight like crazy) my mother into accepting that I was gonna stop the carreer, and ever since september 2009 I became a free man! and now I can completely devote myself to learning!

...........DAMN, that was a long wall of text, now just art related stuff.

Time to learn!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ZZGRST; July 12th, 2010 at 04:25 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey welcome to CA! That's a lot of poses O.O The first ones are pretty good too. Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those poses are awesome. Just the amount!
    Also like your sketches, the digitals are kinda meh to me. I would love to see you work on some originals more, the studies are well and good, but after doing one, its best to apply it somehow to an original image.

Welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I love Bammes

Hey, thanks for your comments.

leanunlibro: Glad you liked them, still a long way to go though.

Janos: Do you mean I shold no more traditional? Ever since I stopped the career I have barely touched a pencil, do you think I would learn more stuff by drawing IRL?
    And yeah, many of my friends tell me I should do more original stuff, I just almost always feel like I should stop "wasting time" in drawing stuff I like and should concentrate more or actually studying, but I will keep pushing to do more original stuff, thank you.

I have noticed how people study the skeleton a lot, something I havent really touched much, so I decided to learn them by copying all the bones drawings from Bammes.
    I love this guy's anatomical drawings so damn much , they are just so juicy and life-like.

Attachment 903663
    It's annoying I took so long to just do these, but I had a pretty hard time imitating his shading and my hand/arm kept hurting all the time! (any advice on how to shade like that?)

I will continue with these tomorrow morning. See you then.

Last edited by ZZGRST; July 12th, 2010 at 04:37 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey :d Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook! I really like that sheet of poses. Impressive! You got some really nice figures too. Looking froward to seeing more

Nele

“Nothing in this world that's worth having comes easy”

My Sketchbook DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great studies man this is a lot of poses and gestures you have great a lot of great stuff so far
    can't wait to see what more you can do

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AvisNocturna: Hey, So glad to see you passed by! hope I can impress you next time you come!

Oren90: Hopefully my drawings will live up to your expectations.

Today I was having so much fun, for once, my hand/wrist wasnt hurting
    Then I began doing a colour study and it got bad, ffffffffffFFFFFFFFF- I hate my damn hand! I hope it get better soon once and for all

Attachment 904569

Tomorrow, if my hand isnt retarded again, Ill be back with more bammes sketches and hopefully a study or two

Last edited by ZZGRST; July 12th, 2010 at 04:37 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So! Today I had planned to finsih this photo study and draw some more bammes bones. I woke up early in the morning, tried but fucked up the background... no big deal lets just redo it. Then this happened...
    Orig: http://perrygallagher.deviantart.com...iLii-153556774
    Attachment 905344

...believe me, you dont want her face.
    I dont know if i got annoyed, tired, or fustrated (or all three at the same time) but decided to leave it for some other time.

But i was annoyed at fucking it up, so I thoutgh I should practice painting from referencessome more, and why not doing 1 hour timelimit ones? the more the better right?

Orig: http://christophermurrstock.devianta...tock-107335844
    Attachment 905345
    Orig:http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_s94IJtmbHY...0-h/caleb5.jpg
    Attachment 905346

Well... fuck

Its pretty embarrashing seeing these on the forum, I know i shouldnt be too picky but blargh

I noticed the screen I have the ref one shows the colours differently thatn the one i draw with, and I'm not sure if I can calibrate it correctly? Is it needed to ahve two monitors of the same model so they show the images perfectly similar?

And also, what do you guys think I should do? is trying 1hr copies gonna help me morethan anything or is there some other way to improve faster?

Some time ago I heard ( and agree with ) a saying that went kina like this "Its very important to practice hard, but just as important it's to practice smart"

Could you guys give me some directions? Any help is appreciated, I'll keep doing stuff I feel necessary too.

I have to learn faster! work work work

Last edited by ZZGRST; July 12th, 2010 at 04:39 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Didnt do much today, argh, gotta fix that with more work tomorrow.

Just trying to learn the foot and the scapula, kinda interesting that the biceps connects to the coracoid "raven beak" now that weird hook makes more sense
    Attachment 906315

Still not really getting the shading properly, cant really imitate properly, maybe it would be better if I took more time, but im caught between "Faster faster!" and " Gotta get it right! slow down"

I guess i will have to go for quantity
    More stuff tomorrow

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey welcome to CA! Woow those are a lot of poses ! Your reference painting is getting there and I really like like the anime pic you did! I know what you mean when you're between "faster faster!" and slowing down to get it right. Perhaps it's best that you do some drawings fast to train yourself and other drawings slower so there's a good balance? But I'm not sure myself haha ^^; I'm sure some veterens have some good advice about that

Sophie "Bellanisiwe" DC's Links:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More bammes bones studies, nothing fancy

Attachment 907149

I would like to draw some original stuff soon It would be nice to try and apply what im learning about bones.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nothing much today, hopefully I'll begin trying to do some original stuff soon, even though at the moment i feel i cant draw anything right, just phases I guess
    Attachment 907902

Orig: http://vishstudio.deviantart.com/art...Able-154198292
    Attachment 907904

Tomorrow more stuff

Last edited by ZZGRST; July 12th, 2010 at 04:40 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ugh... been feeling kinda sick today and ahvent accomplished much, but I cant help but feel it sounds like an excuse, nothing should stop me from drawing lots and lots

Attachment 908680

Everything from imagination except a few arms on the left (i was checking an anatomical figurine to see what muscles went where) and, of course, bammes eyes there in the right.

I think i should draw the skeletons so I get the shape and proportions in my head, jsut copying bammes once wont be enough

See ya tomorrow

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bad bad bad day,starcraft2's closed beta jsut came out and i lost myself in streams, cant let myself get distracted this easily.

All from imagination exceptthe muscles study there which i did while looking at an anatomy figurine I have on my desk
    Attachment 909697

More tomorrow

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow.. nice. keep workin' on your figures!

I'm looking for work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work so far! Anatomy is a perfect place to start.

You may be relying too heavily on ref for your value studies, without understanding why those values are there in the first place. There are places where there should be hard lines, but there is a soft transition from light to dark instead (on the side of nostrils in your latest value piece for example).

If the form is overlapping (like the nostrils), then there will be a hard shadow, if it's a curved form, then it will slowly drop into shadow.

Great dedication with you studies. Keep it up!

sketchbook

Melb gra-FIGHT CLUB is on!
    Details here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just can't memorize the whole anatomy study. I'm just too dumb for that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shidoken: Thank you! yeah i got to practice a fucking lot more

Knoxie: Thank you so much for the advice! Yeah its something taht have been bothering me about those studies, they just feel too "soft" I think.
    I dont know if its because I dont know how to use the tools or i just need more practice.... but for now ill just keep in mind what you said and pay more attention in not making the same mistakes again and again

Zerdron: No worries! if you work hard enough you will learn it perfectly

Phew, uploading on the last second, today i met with some friends and spent most of the night out, damnit

Attachment 910506

Copied my anatomy figure and wrote down the muscles, i want to do it by myself without help eventually

Tomorrow the other side. See you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The bone studies are awesome, but it might help doing it in pencil - For the comfort of your hand. I got RSI a year or so ago and it still bothers me if I work for too long. But I've found either using a big brush (instead of all those neat little strokes you have) to shade is easier, or just using a pencil since it's quite comfortable to use a pencil and move the sketchbook wherever you'd like.

Just an idea of course

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Elz: thanks for the advice. I was using small strockes because i wanted to learn how to shade like bammes, wasnt too succesful, but i learnt a few things.
    And yeah, i have to use pencil some day damnit ;w; but in the program I use, sai, its very easy to turn the canvas, so thats not a problem >w6

Spent some time drawing crap with a friend so again not much study done...
    I should cut on the time i spend drawing silly stuff on favor of studies.

Attachment 911344

I didnt write down all the muscles, it got late and my hand was beginning to feel weird .

I would like to learn all of them with some time, im so glad i got it easier now due to the anatomical figure i bought. All the muscles at a glance's distance.

See you tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today was a baaad day.
    After some problems yesterday i was all sad/depressed today so i didnt achieve much at all...i wonder if its bad, i hear of artists which draw when they are depressed to cheer themselves up, it would be great to do the same.

Just a bunch of silly stuff from imagination i did late at night
    Attachment 912203

Damn so little work done...

Till tomorrow people

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not much to say (nor done) tried to go buy a new monitor (mine is ridiculously short, yet very wide) but only became a waste of time.

I may get it tomorrow though

Attachment 912952

I dont like I only drew this much

Last edited by ZZGRST; July 12th, 2010 at 04:41 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that's a lot of poses for one day, and they look good, so don't feel bad! it's great you are diving so much into anatomy, it can only help. when you feel good and happy with anatomy, perhaps the next place to go would be value study.. i was trying to fig. out what was irking me about the portraits, particularly the one where he has his arms raised up, and someone else in this thread (now looking thru i can't find it, but it was there..) talked about doing those. maybe try some sketches where you just divide what you see into two sections: light and dark areas (without trying to blend between them) to see how the light & shadow wraps around the 3d form. but the most important thing is that you are enjoying it and learning along the way..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn, I'm always so happy when i see people helping out ;w;
    pearblossom: thank you very much for your advice.
    Im not sure if I will be satisfied with my anatomy any time soon XD But as you said I think I should do some more value studies.

Today I finally got a new screen! ;w; I passed from 1360x768 px on a 17"(ugh) to 1920x1080 23" LED monitor HELL YEAH!

It really shows, everything looks so goddamn so nice now.

Yet not everything is happiness and celebrations, I wasted a lot of time both in getting rides to different shops to buy the damn monitor and on the internet OTL

I've got to practice not only drawing, but also self discipline.

(Copied from reference)
    Attachment 913847

A lonely sketch for today

Last edited by ZZGRST; July 12th, 2010 at 04:41 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yup no one can forget about there self disipline! Gota keep reminding your self what you are going for. Nice monitor. I have 2 21" there nice.

Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dy.laneA: Thanks for commenting. Let's do our best.

Still having a hard time drawing when feeling down.

All from reference, nothing much to say
    Attachment 914674

Hope tomorrow is a better day.

Last edited by ZZGRST; July 12th, 2010 at 04:42 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yesterday was a very bad day and didnt draw anything, im trying to restart my engine, but today this is all I did, couldnt even finish it

Orig: http://vishstudio.deviantart.com/art...ream-155039673
    Attachment 916229

oh also, besides this I copied some animu artists I like in order to level up my anime powerlevel, but thats not something to show here.

more tomorrow

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, beautiful studies! I hope you feel better, because you are doing great! Maybe don't launch into full pieces, just doodle around for fun, that will lessen the pressure on drawing and make it fun again.

♥♥ SKETCHBOOK ♥♥ BLOG ♥♥ PORTFOLIO ♥♥ dA GALLERY ♥♥

If there is a sin against life, it consists perhaps not so much in despairing of life as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this life.
    - Albert Camus

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Linhuini:Thank for tour coment. eah, many of my friends tell me i should realx and draw more of my own stuff, and when i have to, it feels so hard to get ideas on what to draw... but I'll keep working on it.

Nothing much to show today. I remembered I owed drawings to some people, so I want to dedicate myself a little more on finishing those pieces, but I will keep scratching some time for studies and doodling stuff
    Attachment 917077

More tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    busy day, this is all I did today that wasn't pictures for friends

I still have a hard time drawing bodies, I dont understand them well yet... and I also want to make my lines better, too messy

More tomorrow

Last edited by ZZGRST; July 12th, 2010 at 04:43 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.