I need help on making a website.

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Breadshoes Guest

Question I need help on making a website.

I have just recently signed up at Liquid2K. I found out that you have to make the page in another program, leaving me, not knowing a thing about html and all that stuff, at a dead end. So I was wondering if anyone knows of a good site that teaches a beginner everything they need to know to get a web site up and running? Thank you for you time.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im no master at it, but i do quite a bit of webdesign myself... i was having alot of trouble finding tutorials but then i stumbled upon http://www.htmlgoodies.com and ive taught myself from that. if youre a complete html noobie, check out the primers, theyll teach you html from the very ground up. its my html bible so to speak.

chris

Breadshoes Guest
    I was looking for a site like this. All the other sites I found only gave me partial information. This one is perfect. Thank you very much, I appreciate this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you're not the "programmer" type, HTML may be a bit confusing. Now that I've been playing around with HTML for 5 years or so, I don't really have a problem with writing it myself, but I can certainly understand if people think it's hard in the beginning. There are great programs which will help you do the job, though...
    Macromedia DreamWeaver is a fantastic program...lots of options and stuff, and if you use FireWorks (their image editing program, which is good for web graphics), those programs are supposed to work very well together.
    You can even add some Flash to the site, but if you want me to visit the site (or rather: return), you shouldn't completely do it in Flash - I think those sites are pretty annoying, but that may be just me. Just make sure you don't put any music or sounds on the site!

Microsoft Frontpage is perhaps more for the programmer type who is new to HTML. IMHO the web-design part is missing in this program. You CAN of course make a site which looks the same as one you've made in DreamWeaver, but I believe it requires more work.

I don't know anything about Adobe's web program, GoLive, but it could probably be good if you want good-looking sites. It's probably more like DreamWeaver than FrontPage...

I would suggest that you download the trial version of DreamWeaver. That may be a good start. Try it out. It should speed up the whole learning process of HTML quite a bit (in fact, you don't have to learn anything at all about HTML).

Good luck! And if you need any more help...just post and I'll try to help.

Breadshoes Guest
    Thank you for your help. I don't think its just you that doesn't like a whole lot of Flash stuff on a site, as I also find it to be on the annoying side. My immediate goal is to have a place to put some of my drawings on the Internet and to be able to post some of them here, so the site's not going to be anything special until I get a better understanding of HTML. I think I might take some classes at the community college in my area on this as well.

Leia Guest
    I use webmonkey a lot myself. I pretty much learned everything I know about web design from the internet and some online friends... but taking some local classes would be helpful also. :afro2:

Here is a html reference sheet so you can start learning what the html tags mean:

http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/...ml_cheatsheet/

Oh and I highly recommend Dreamweaver! But I also recommend learning raw HTML first. I use Dreamweaver and Adobe Imageready when working on this site.... both excellent programs.

hope this helps! :trippy:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    maybe im just the programmer type but i get alot more of a kick out of writing it myself... theres alot more control, and its more fun. ive had alot of crazy web designs come out of experimenting. another nifty thing is right clicking and going to view source. usually best if you know about html already, but you can find alot of tags you may not know about that way... thats how i learned about getting rid of those pesky margins and such. unfortunately i cant recommend a program as i dont use/like them... ive heard a good deal about dreamweaver though, it should do you right.

good luck!
    chris

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My first attempt at making a webpage was done in Word, I believe. I used some kind of HTML thingy in it...then I went over to Publisher, which was a little bit better, and I made some basic sites in it. It still sucked, though, so I started using FrontPage, and I used it for "many" (two - no more than that) years (it was good and easy to work with, so why stop?). I started experimenting with SSI includes (to include a file in another) and began actually thinking about the HTML code. I also began using FireWorks to make some nice designs. For a while, I used FireWorks to make the graphics, then put it all into DreamWeaver and made the HTML design, then I wrote the rest of the sites in either Frontpage or in a text editor...
    For the last year or so (hmmm...probably more than that...say a year and a half), I've been doing all the coding myself. I grew tired of the stupid functions in the programs, and how they would write the code...and working with the code in a text editor gives me full control...I like that.
    Even though I'm working with a text editor, I wouldn't recommend that to a beginner. I really like the way I learned HTML - with the help of a program. When you've done something in the program...check out the HTML code and try to understand what the different parts do. That's how I learned HTML. Oh yeah, I also used View Source quite a bit, and I visited sites like Webmonkey.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    notepad is my weapon of choice, hehe.

chris

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    UltraEdit is mine...it's a much better program than Notepad...many more features, faster...and you can have many files open but only one instance of the program running...
    Long live UltraEdit! (you can even setup syntax highlighting with it - great stuff!)

Leia Guest
    Yeah I first learned by viewing the source code on other pages and using notepad myself. It was a good way for me to learn what every little bit of html code did.

I was so against html editors for awhile... then I gave in realizing what a time saver they are. But I'm very glad I learned the long way cause html editors certainly aren't perfect.

Leia:eat:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    True. Since I write PHP pages these days (being the programmer type I am, I love adding extra functionality to the pages...and PHP is the way to do it ), I use UltraEdit. Much easier than using an HTML editor and have to edit the source code through it...I don't know how I would create my sites if I didn't use PHP...it's possible that I would use an HTML editor program thingy...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    highlights for your coding eh? where might i find this ultraedit? the main thing i dont want to lose is the 'i created every pixel' feeling that notepad has... i have yet to branch into anything other than html tho, so php is new to me.

chris

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    UltraEdit. It's shareware. Registration fee is $35. Try it out...you'll like it...I especially like the bookmark function (very useful for large documents), and that it highlights the line you're working on...syntax highlighting is neat...ahhh, there are so many functions in it compared to Notepad...

Breadshoes Guest

Smile Thank you all for your help.

Sorry for not replying to anything for a while, but my computer went south and I ended up having to get windows re-installed. I think I'm going to go with writing it up in notepad as opposed to the Macromedia programs. It may be months before I have anything worthwhile, but I think it would be better for me in the long run. Oh, and there’s one last thing I want to say. I'm surprised by the amount of nice people willing to help on this site. Most message boards I've posted on (none of them art related) would respond with a snooty remark or not even bother to answer my question. Thank you all for the help, I appreciate it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just remember to keep it simple if you dont know alot about html. when i first started i kept tring to make these amazing layouts that always failed.

chris

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by chris
    just remember to keep it simple if you dont know alot about html. when i first started i kept tring to make these amazing layouts that always failed.

chris
    I totally agree...making complex table structures is pretty hard...all these rowspan=something and colspan=something else make it all very confusing...that's what a program like DreamWeaver is good for...makes the job soooo much easier

Breadshoes Guest
    I understand what you mean. What I'm aiming for right now is just one page with a gallery where you can click on a thumbnail to enlarge the picture. I have an unrelated question. I am thinking about submitting an entry for the next Thunderdome round so I was wondering if it’s necessary to have any sort of web space (not sure if that’s the right term or not) in order to email the entry?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To e-mail the entry, all you need is an e-mail address...just attach the file to the e-mail.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.