Why isn't there color variation in my strokes?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hi,

I want a brush with strong "streaks" of varied color within each stroke.

I'm using an "artists oils" brush (variant of the "wet oily brush"), with the variability of Hue, Saturation, and Value set all the way up at 50%. And yet I'm not getting my desired variability/streakiness of strokes. Actually, I'm not getting any varibility at all.

But I'm getting quite strong striping when I dual-load the brush in the mixer, so I know that that kind of brush DOES support variability. So what am I not doing?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It probably only supports multi-colour picking, but can't render the old painter's "hue-sat-value variability".
    Artist's oils were kinda thrown in the brush engine without much regard to its previous features, that's why a lot of stuff doesn't work properly with them (I hate how they interpret pen pressure and angle )

Last edited by ikken; February 10th, 2010 at 09:00 AM.
    on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Zirngibism View Post
    Hi,

I'm using an "artists oils" brush (variant of the "wet oily brush"), with the variability of Hue, Saturation, and Value set all the way up at 50%. And yet I'm not getting my desired variability/streakiness of strokes. Actually, I'm not getting any varibility at all.

But I'm getting quite strong striping when I dual-load the brush in the mixer, so I know that that kind of brush DOES support variability. So what am I not doing?

Thanks!

Okay what you need to do is this, artist oils has a dirty mode over the top, in that way you can drag colors like the brush getting dirty.

But the top trick you want, its hidden in the mixer pallete, all you have to do its do some dots in colors, close to each other, like colors touching, then grab the special eye dropper that comes inside the mixer pallete, you will recognize it, because when you click it inside the mixer, it wont pick any color. thats because this special eye ddropper tells the brush what colors he is going to use, so it will pick all the colors that are closer to the place you clicked. So if you have like 3 color, each time you use the brush you will get strokes like a rainbow.

Just like real Brushes behaves with color in it.

Remember this two tricks and your brushes will be closer to reality, hope it helps you.

There are no such things as bad art, just tight deadlines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Zirngibism View Post
    Hi,

Thanks!

Also forgot to mention, there is a special panel in brushes settings named color variation, here you can move the bars, like schanging luminosity or even hue, so each strokes can be controlled with presure and you will get variations of colors, not just a flat color one but a lively one, hope this solves your problem too.

There are no such things as bad art, just tight deadlines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elsevilla View Post
    Also forgot to mention, there is a special panel in brushes settings named color variation, here you can move the bars, like schanging luminosity or even hue, so each strokes can be controlled with presure and you will get variations of colors, not just a flat color one but a lively one, hope this solves your problem too.
    it's not working with artist's oils:
    expression controller is ghosted and the brush stroke has no variation in colour at all.

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Colour variability doesn't work with artists oils

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi all,

Here are a couple of tutorials from PixelAlley demonstrating multiple colors in a brush stroke and some of the ways that can be set up.

At the bottom of the second tutorial, there are demos of brush strokes painted with the multiple colors picked from the Mixer palette.

These tutorials were written before Painter 11 was released but I believe all of what's demonstrated can be done in Painter 11, in fact, more. We have a lot more brush variants now that can be used with the Mixer palette to paint with more than one color.

Important

The Mixer palette's two dropper tools are named Sample Color (picks single color) and Sample Multiple Colors. There's a slider below the Mixer palette icons we can use to enlarge the area to be sampled with the Sample Multiple Colors dropper, up to an area 50 pixels wide.

When the Property Bar's Dirty Mode box is checked, the the brush variant can be used to simulate what happens in traditional media when we mess the brush up by getting other color on it. In other words, pick up existing color from the Canvas or Layer and add it to whatever color is already on the brush. Each time we paint over a different color, the brush picks up yet another color so we can begin with a pink brush stroke, paint across a dark green brush stroke, and the original color on the brush is changed. I just did some testing and starting with pink on my brush, I painted across green and the color on my brush began to be a murky light grey. As I painted across green again and again, then painted in a new area, I could see the color on my brush continued to change, and darken. By the time I stopped it was a dark greenish grey.

It just "dirties" the brush and that "dirtiness" remains on the brush until we change it by picking another color and unchecking the Dirty Mode box.

When the Mixer palette's Dirty Brush Mode icon is depressed, the same thing happens but only within the Mixer palette while we're mixing colors there. Unless the Property Bar's Dirty Box is checked, once we leave the Mixer palette, the dirtying while painting on the Canvas or Layer no longer occurs.

It works very differently from either painting with multiple colors sampled from the Mixer palette or using the Color Variability palette to take colors from HSV slider settings, RGB slider settings, from Gradient, or from Color Set. And then there's the Color Expression palette. It's fairly self explanatory so I won't explain that one.

Jinny

#

Last edited by Jin; February 11th, 2010 at 02:21 PM.
    Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I will try and help if I can, Kirsten. In fact, I am currently working on a custom set of oil brushes which utilise the Drip method. Although I don't know the exact look you are trying to achieve, it sounds like a Rake stroke type and drip method could meet your needs.

The brush strokes in the image below can all interact with the Color Variability controls to give various HSV values loaded on each individual bristle (dab) along the width of the stroke. By tinkering with the brush settings, and using different dabs, I have so far produced the custom variant strokes shown below. Are any of these similar to what you had in mind?

Bear in mind though, that each new stroke will have a different order and variety of loaded colors, depending on the variability settings. For example, the first stroke may have a band of blue at the top, and the next stroke, a band of yellow in the same location.

David

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.