Sketchbook: renewing my art

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: renewing my art

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

renewing my art

I just posting drawings I am working on, and if anyone has questions or comments, go ahead and give them to me. My art plans are in my head and sketched out on a layer not shown, but if you would like to see something different just say it.

Name:  workshop.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  102.6 KB

Name:  workbench1.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  92.4 KB

Drawing information;
    All of this was drawn in photoshop.
    When I start out with a room I imagine what I want, and use my favorite tool (Polygonal Lasso Tool (L)) on a new layer and fill it with color. I do that for each wall. On these walls I drew lines to mark were I wanted to draw the stones. I hold the shift key to make the lines. The stones are on a new layer for each wall and to blend them together I use the top layer to draw on.The window was just a matter of selecting the area filling it with white, then selecting area for lines and drawing them in. I like to work by selecting each surface and drawing what ever I want in them like the work bench edges were one selection and the top was another, but to make the edges I use the marquee tools. After I finish I add a layer to blend some of the edges. When I drew the top I draw the grooves to make them boards, and added some grain. The bright area lit by the window is another selection but I used Feather on the Lasso tool and copied what I drew and paste it back in. Then I used brightness and contrast to make it look like a bright area. Drawing each stone was a little hard, but it looks better. they don't have a lot of highlights, because I don't want to have highlights on stones in shaded areas. So, I do that on a new layer when I draw the shadows from the work bench. If you try drawing like this and get use to it you will find just drawing what you want can be very quick. Why I use layers covers a few good reasons:
    Every part of things I make a layer so I can draw each piece. Some parts may go under the other part so there are no cracks at the seams.
    If I feel something is finished and I want to add something to it, even highlights, I start a new layer. Then I always have a option to edit, add layer effects or fade, and only effect that layer.
    If a surface has an edge and it is not a simple color but has wood grain or texture, different highlights or anything I make a new layer.
    I am free with layers, and if I wanted to find one in many I right click over the area with the selector tool and a list of everything in that area will show up. If it was named that makes it easy.
    On this I drew each tool. Like the push drill the handle and the shaft were drawn separate. and when it was finished I merged the layers, then added the shadow. I link those together in case I move the tool.

Last edited by AChipps; August 12th, 2010 at 05:41 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 924 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hm very nice! Great start to a new sb. Only crit i would give is that the corner where the window's wall and the tool wall meet seems a little flat.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  Carver.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  503.5 KB

Finished this one. There was other stages removed from my sketchbook so I could move on to the next.
    All of this was drawn in photoshop.
    Each tool was drawn in photoshop and merged down when it was finished. I knew the shape of each tool more than each tool. (Mind fill of silhouettes.)
    I used a method to put each tool in perspective while drawing and It might be complicated to a lot of people but it is a very quick way to make it more accurate. I made a tutorial when I made the pipe clamp that shows all the details, because it was not as easy as other tools. I can imagine some of the easy tool and not draw them that way, but this Tutorial is how I draw things I could not imagine in any perspective I needed.http://www.archie-chipps.com/extras/...awingTools.psd
    It is a psd to make it easy while I drew the tool that I used in this image. To make this easier to understand and imagine I created another tutorial that explains how you can build a house in photoshop from floor plans.http://www.archie-chipps.com/extras/...floorplans.htm You can always visit my website and see other tutorials that makes drawing in photoshop easy. http://www.archie-chipps.com

Last edited by AChipps; September 21st, 2010 at 08:22 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  ForestFairym.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  64.2 KB
    Starting a new one.

Drawing information;
    This girl might look a little 3d, well it does to me. It is because I drew her to use in the Carver drawing, and I moved her to this and started an idea just for her. She didn't look right in the other scene, and she is still a little dark for this one, but I have all her parts so I can redraw her in this scene.
    I draw a quick background with a few trees, sky, land, and this big dead tree, then I added a little more to it, like a hard brush to create the dead leaves, and a small soft brush on the bark of the trees. It just seemed too easy, so I drew grass the same way, but used different strokes to imitate moss and grass. I scribbled in the field grass and used motion blur, and the eraser to make it look better and added a few strokes to it. Every thing still going so easy, so I actually drew the well and squirrel, and added a branch for him to play with. I have the big stone from the start that I wanted to make like a small fairy home, but with all the easy things to do and hard, I started doing some work on the pine bark of the tree. I used a fine brush to make it look like wood, but I think I might need to age it a little. I like the wood but it might not go with this picture. Someone told me to add a pond with some geese so I drew that quick in zoom, and with the water I used a filter called Twirl. I still have a newer version with some of the pine bark done, but I have not updated this.

Last edited by AChipps; August 12th, 2010 at 06:20 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know if I will do much with this. I just stared it for an idea.

Name:  spacework.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  108.6 KB

Drawing information;
    I wanted to try something new and different in perspectives like this frame in outer space. It's sort of like the halfway point in StarGate to get to Atlantis.
    The whole frame is one layer, and I made the background in different layers the planets. I had a hard time with the shadows because I already merged the layers and I needed the main surface, so I had to selected them with the lasso tool a little at a time. Then I had to do it again for a shadow of the other side that is not in this picture. I started drawing the basic part of a shuttle to add to this drawing.

Last edited by AChipps; August 12th, 2010 at 06:32 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  spaceworkm.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  97.9 KB

Drawing information;
    I added and changed a lot of the drawing for a good highlight, then drew welders in suits and the mig welder with the hoses in perspectives, and added a break area.
    I thought about adding some kind of space car so the guy could be dancing with his car stereo pumping away, but everything just started to get less interesting to finish.

Update Not very interesting enough to finish.

Last edited by AChipps; September 21st, 2010 at 08:33 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey nice stuff very different from what you usually see posted but i like it i like the first one the best i would say the one with the girl needs some more texture but deffinitely like your stuff

MY SB http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...=1#post2670754

9. The Following User Says Thank You to prsnsweeney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
Views: 672
Size:  84.9 KB

Drawing information:
    I guess I said every thing in the last image.

Last edited by AChipps; August 12th, 2010 at 06:44 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
Views: 653
Size:  87.8 KB

Drawing information;
    Same here

Update Not very interesting enough to finish. It was mostly for practice, and I started other things

Last edited by AChipps; September 21st, 2010 at 08:36 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey you got some really cool work i was looking at your gallery earlier and reading your bio and i have a lot of respect ... keep workin man and thanks for the help with my portrait i made some big improvements on it

my sb http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...=183262&page=2

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you for the insight and words of wisdom it gave me a new perspective on art

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  cargo ship.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  84.5 KB
    I made this ship in Hexagon 2. I did the texture, and color map in Hexagon, and rendered it in Poser 7.
    I wanted a water background so I drew something up in Photoshop.
    I didn't spend a lot of time because I was just testing what the ship could look like. With the texture, render and drawing in the background I might have spent a half hour playing with it. What you see is actual size.
    Name:  cargo ship1.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  160.5 KB
    Drawing information;
    The last image on a white background didn't look like it would be very interesting so I drew something up in a few minutes, and some things like the upper water took a few wavy lines that would make light waves on the ship, so they were added in. I basically wanted something quick and a mossy rock seemed natural, and just a little extra work with a small brush. I threw in a light, and that made it a quick picture. I think it turned out finished more than I needed to show my 3D object. I threw in some light beams for good measure.
    I did a video of coloring to show basically how I draw. I consider drawing easy, but thinking of doing it is hard. It would be a lot easier to be thrown into a drawing than start one. So I tried coloring.
    http://www.archie-chipps.com/new/Coloring.mov

Last edited by AChipps; August 12th, 2010 at 07:01 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

More 3D

Name:  carrierm.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  84.5 KB
    This is my last render of a Carrier, and a Shuttle before I zipped up a file to download both for free.

This is the download link http://www.archie-chipps.com/objects/ArchShips.zip

Drawing information:
    A lot of the UV maps were setup by me in the program while making the 3d model so I made it easy to make the flames on the back with a image, the rest was drawn on the ship in Hexagon 2, then I rendered it in Poser 7. No need for drawing, but I did render and save this as a png so I could use it as a layer in photoshop.
    I just added a black background.

Last edited by AChipps; August 12th, 2010 at 07:08 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow it looks like something from a game background!! wow ! more textures i think and perspective

Hi ! Take a peek in my sketch book?My Sketchbook

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Puffynose For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  ships01a.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  306.3 KB

Here is an older image of it before I redid the UV's. It has some texture, but not like the Shuttle, because it is much bigger and it has to use a bump map. The models are large enough to fit with Daz or Poser people, but it is just the outside hulls of both.

Drawing information:
    I don't like spending a lot of time drawing backgrounds for my 3D renders, but I don't like them to be plain, so I copied the background from the Space Welding drawing for something in the background.

Last edited by AChipps; August 12th, 2010 at 07:53 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,077 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, some interesting pieces here, some pieces looks like a combination of painting and 3d together. One thing I notice though, there seems to be just a hint of bluriness in all of your pieces, like the camera is just out of focus by a bit. I wouldn't know how to fix this, but something for you to look at if you want. Have fun with your next works! =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The last ships were 3d made in Hexagon and rendered in Poser.
    Everything else was drawn in photoshop. The best way to draw in photoshop that make it quick is to draw blurry and work on detailing it until the blurriness is gone. The first picture with the carver was a drawing that took time on every detail, and the rest is more of a quick sketch for ideas. No need spending a lot of time drawing something if it isn't interesting enough, just start blurry and bring it into focus. I like to play around with a lot of things, and the brown leaves on the ground was done with a hard brush for background effect for a few more detailed leaves. That was how that picture started, and it grew from there. I wanted to use a small brush and scribble in colors for the bark of an oak tree, and if all this is a little off, it was made mostly out of memory what things look like. The tall grass looks good because it is drawn and improved with motion blur. The short grass is just strokes of colors with a small blurry brush. I was just playing a little with that picture and did a little more than sketching with it as I drew. The under water mossy rock was done with a small blurry brush. The reason for blurriness with 3D is for an idea of a background to suggest where the model could be. It is better than a model with a background while I spend time creating the model.
    The planets started as a filled in circle with dabs and brushing from different size soft brushes. The stars are done with the smaller sizes with settings adjustments with added clouds with a few sizes and ajustments on the brush. So most of my sketching can look like a drawing just a little blurry from the lack of detail, but I don't spend a lot of time on them and that makes me happy. I feel good at doing quick layouts, and I might draw one detailed picture a year. I think it is good, because I am on a long path to getting the love of art back since 2006 when I really hated art and would bite you for saying "art". People had to whisper about my artwork, because they didn't want to see me get pissed off about the topic.
    It started after I was under a bum contract with Music Match designed to stop me from drawing for anyone else. The contract was broken with me returning the check, and started selling better skins to their customers closing them down.

Last edited by AChipps; July 26th, 2010 at 05:02 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,077 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey bro

It's cool, if that's what you prefer, going from blurry paint to more sharper details it's fine. We all have different ways of working. I may try mixing some softer brushes into my own work after this, so we see.

Yip, I can see somehow it may be nicer to work with things out of focus if it speeds up the drawing in general. Cool bro, good luck with your next work. =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey good to see your back i read the advice you gave kungfoowiz on his sb i had never even thought of stuff like that befor

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks. I visit when I am not doing much. Somethings can be hard, and I take a break. I have been learning about scripts and call tags for Unity a 3d Game creator.
    I am glad you find that information helpful. It might have been a lot of years for me, but I remember what made a big difference to drawing a lot better every step of the way.
    I don't mind sharing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sketched out ideas. My sketches might not look like sketches but I don't see why they need to look like sketches as long as the serve the same purpose, (A quick representation of an idea to work with.) Some people like them to not show color and as much as I make so they can use their imagination better. So my sketches are like basic concepts and only take seconds to draw and create. some I add more because there are parts I find too easy.

Name:  dark.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  282.8 KB
    Name:  mist.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  205.2 KB
    Name:  underground.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  207.4 KB

So this is a group of ideas I thought about, and because one thing I thought about was why wait for some game company to hire me, when I can learn what I need to know and make my own game. I am studying Unity to be able to make games.
    I'm taking a break from it right now, but soon I will get back into the scripting. I'm playing around making a spy game digging up hidden government secrets about UFO's. I have no idea what the game will be like but for now this is something to work with until I can do anything I need to make a game. It starts out as I break into a locked up government storage hanger, and find a big ship and a stealth that I fly out to escape anyone coming after me for blowing up the security system to get in. That is all I have so far. It's a start.

Name:  spy1.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  309.5 KB
    Name:  spy2.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  272.1 KB

Drawing information:
    The top images were quick drawings (Layouts) using the lasso tool and a soft brush. I think of that way of drawing is as close to a sketch, because like pencil sketches we just draw a basic idea of a layout, but since lines are hard with digital I avoid them, and just make shapes that are filled in and if there are a lot I copy and paste a lot. Like the trees, and I brush in shadows, because most of that idea was about shadows. I can draw many different kinds of trees or brush in many different weird trees if that was my idea. The whole purpose with my sketches are to quickly throw down an idea before I forget it, and not get into a lot of details. Just like an idea, and bam it's on something I can save and work with. If it is very blurry I can imagine something different than what I imagined when I sketched it out. Sometimes that could be good as long as I can look at it and remember what I saw when I drew it. It could mean nothing to you, but I will see something in it. For digital work that is great even if it is a bunch of circles with text in them, saying tree goes here. The way the tree looks is not important just a fill in for an idea, and that is all it takes to have a layout.
    If I have an idea and don't draw some kind of layout then I would draw one thing and everything else is forgotten unless it is a background, then I would be just adding things here and there like I did the Carver. I would have no idea when the picture has enough junk in it, or where I would put things unless I keep that in my mind, but there will be empty areas I didn't think about, because it is easier to have everything in place before you see them. By the way that peg board is one of the easiest things to make, like brick walls, block walls, or tile walls, you just make one and copy it to fill the wall and lay that layer in perspective with Distort. There are just too many things that can be easy and anyone can do if you know how.
    The last two images are copied from a game I was making for practice.

Last edited by AChipps; August 12th, 2010 at 08:23 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,179 Times in 1,968 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hey mate interesting work.You mainly use 3d meshes for a base and then working them in photoshop?
    you can evolve this style to make some awesome pieces.
    there is a lot of soft areas here and there, maybe reduce them a little because it makes the overall look less defined
    keep it up mate!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks I create some things in 3D and render them in poser as a PNG like a layer in Photoshop. Then I can add to it so it isn't as boring. Most of my work is all drawn in photoshop. I make it easy to imagine by drawing something close like a quick drawing, and if I like it I draw it in more detail. I have been just drawing ideas for a while because it is quick and it seems to take very little effort. I am happy with doing that, than I am actually finishing something. I hope I will enjoy art more so I can really get back into it.
    I am making a 3D game, so I have been making stuff I can use in the game.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey nice concept for the game i also like the 3d model concepts above. good to hear your enjoying art. Keep on enjoying it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess it would hurt to draw up some kind of storyboard. That way I would be able to plan the first stage, and make it more interesting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  spy3.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  367.6 KB

I hope this makes a good start, for an idea. I spent a lot more time thinking about it and did more drawing than I planed, but I hope it is interesting. I guess if I write a story I could do better, because my imagination works better with words than pictures, and the pictures I imagine are better.

Drawing information;
    All of this was drawn in photoshop 7. You may have a version of photoshop that lets you import 3d into your drawing, but the one I have I like better, because it don't. The time line and animation I have is not like a 3d program, and it is Image Ready. With photoshop and Eye Candy I can do fire on text or anything and change the seeds to make an animated fire loop. I paid for another program to make animated gif files and I enjoy Photoshop 7 with Image Ready. I have always had a browser in photoshop 7 so I can see thumbnails of files before I open them, or just edit them while they are just thumbnails. Photoshop CS5 is bringing that back.

Last edited by AChipps; September 21st, 2010 at 08:49 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I liked some stuff in the gallery like Riddick drawing. You always start with 3d models as it seems? do you do stuff from a simple scetch?

Thanks for your feedback in my SB. I certainly lack backgrounds, but now i more of concern over general level of my PS skills, so when i ll get more fammiliar with the program i suppose i'll get to the backgrounds as well. As for the PS version, right now i can't afford license, so i use crack, but on the other hand i don't get any profit from this, and i have in plans intention to purchase the product sooner or later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My sketch book has some 3D, but nothing in my gallery even started with 3D, but the way I sketch and make each surface separate areas to work on might make them look like 3D, but what I draw can go far beyond what I can create in 3D.
    I have gone the other way and make some things in 3D based on a drawing, but the drawing always looks better than the 3D.
    Just looking at the last image I drew look like the cup is a 3D object added to my art, and the only thing I can think is I pay more attention to 3D details than I do with real life. I didn't draw the cup from a real life memory, I drew it the way it would look in 3D. I never really noticed or thought about that before.

Last edited by AChipps; August 12th, 2010 at 09:44 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,179 Times in 1,968 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    very nice mate!!!so you dont use any 3d rendered image,opened in photoshop?They look very 3d enviroment like.I mean the shadows and everything.Even the line quality doesnt have the painterly feeling.While i like these very much i would like to see some more pencil(or whatever medium) sketches
    keep up the good work mate

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  Gremlin2m.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  193.5 KB

Some times I try to finish this. I remember the baby type hands, the little old face, and the mean look on it's face when I was going to grab it, making me think it will bite. I remember the little teeth, and a lot of things that didn't go through a lot of changes as it morphed, but a lot of it was blurry, and all the time I spent on this I am sure the face looks the same. I just can't seen to finish it as if something was not right. It could be the fingers are not fat enough or old enough, but it is not right in some way for me to say it is finished.

Last edited by AChipps; September 22nd, 2010 at 11:26 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2