Art: Recent character work

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Recent character work

ive been drawing for around 20 years, but just recently got back into the groove of things and im starting to catch up to where i was about 5 years ago, after a long pause in creating art. i bought photoshop about 6-8 months ago and started really cracking down these past 2 months, so heres some of what ive done so far. these are my personal favs. they arent anything incredibly new or imaginative compared to what ive seen on this site, but i like to be somewhat practical with things such as the armor and keep things more toward a realistic sense. the last is still a wip. hope these arent too large and thanks in advance

Attached Images Attached Images          
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome,
    it looks really good and I like your armors and weapons on this creatures.
    I was very impressed about the first one. It looks very lively and dangerous, i thought it comes trough the screen into my room...
    I'm looking forward to see more of your work.

CyGear

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CyGear For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    much thanks, here are a couple quickies i did for a contest first 2. and another unrelated pic. i was somewhat recently accepted to do character work on a game which i cant really talk about yet >.> so i havnt had much time to do my own thing with that and working 12 hour days doing construction..tough, but gets you in shape!

anyway, cheers to beers. thanks.

Attached Images Attached Images      

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow what intense detail. Amazing, great job.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to andrewsquire23 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome concepts. I definitely love the concept of the second picture (The woman fighter.). That character has a charm.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Freelancer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    love the armor work!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Parcel-Sisters For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow thanks ! i forgot about this post, been super busy. @_@

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello W.Rowland,

Your body of work really shows a great love of what you do and you obviously take time on your renderings. Your armor designs show a lot of promise- pretty badass, really.

1st one:

Pretty good body language- he's "weird" or "deranged". Brings up thoughts of Voldo from the Soul Calibur series (with the stance). Nice work.

2nd one:

The first thing that pops out to me is her armored arm. I understand she's wearing a pauldron (proper name?), but her shoulder still seems to extend further than is possible from her body. Also her leg anatomy seems a little too simple to me- we basically see the form of an unrefined cylinder. Her upper arms seem a tad too long as well. I also think you could have used her flowing cloth to your advantage more- it might have been helpful to look at flowing cloth a little more closely before you proceeded.

3rd one:

Nice one. He's holding his knife kind of funny and a lot of his edges are too sharp around his silhouette- he looks pasted on. Also- the head doesn't seem as structurally sound as the rest of him.

4th one:

Nice armor. Really nice. I think his pose is really awkward, too- like he's walking up on to a rock, then leaning back to look at us and say "what's up" or something.

5th one:

I can't quite determine what's happening with his foreshortened leg. His armor doesn't feel like it's connecting properly there as a result (I can't tell where his upper leg is going, but doesn't feel like it's going to hit that knee). You also seem to have some trouble with the foreshortening on his right hand (to our left). The armor design here is sweet as well!

Next post

1st one:

cool concept. I'm having a hard time with some of his forms. He drops into pretty deep shadow and is covered by the curtain hangings from the bar above him. I can't see an indication for is second leg- but he seems to have a stump that connects to the bottom of that wheely chair. This creates an odd juxtaposition of something you'd see (with the "monsters that have blades for legs thing that happens a lot), but sillier. I don't think that was your intention, but I'm unsure.

2nd one:

Badass stance, foreshortening looks figured out, and he's holding his weapon in a way that doesn't bother me. The jeans are nicely rendered and he's overall fairly believable and readable. Nice piece of concept art!

3rd one:

Grab a face profile reference. As your only human face in this portfolio of your's its VERY important to show that you can do it. You've shown a liking for drawing and painting creatures and aliens, but you need to have the human form down. His eye is facing us, but his head is not. The bottom of his nose is tilting in a funny way and his mouth is drooping a bit much. His arms also look a little short, or his legs could be a little long.

I hope you find this information useful. I really like your work and think you show really REALLY good potential. However there are still areas (human anatomy especially) that I feel could be refined a bit to bring your work to a new level.

If you found this information helpful I'd beg you for a critique on my stuff as well. There's a bolded link at the top of my signature (top link) if you'd feel like helping a brother out.

Keep going and good luck to you.

"She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    LOOK AT MY DEVIANT ART PAGE!
    LOOK AT MY FINALLY FINISHED PAGE!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Quigleyer For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.