Sketchbook: Never-ending journey! - Page 14
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Never-ending journey!

Where bears with balalaykas are on the Red Square
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These last studies doesn't show much effort and passion. Work more on proportions and perspective. Don't stop!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,077 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey bro, looking pretty good, break down everything you see into forms, it may be hard at first, but it pays off in the end cuz you start to see things much more clearly. Also maybe think about varying your line width and overlap the lines so we can clearly see how forms are working. Hope helps.. Sorry for crappy drawing.. =)

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you are making a lot of progress! this is amazing

ThomasM is offline Artist in training.... Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 879 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    lovely value and colour studies in post 347 - thats exactly the sort of thing that will help you learn really fast.

I don't really have any crits for you, except to add to what kungfoowiz has already said and say that one way to really help learn about the form and breakdown complex shapes is to "draw through". I'm not sure if you've heard of this, but when you draw any volume, also lightly draw the hidden edges. This helps you develop a sense of edges and volumes that aren't immediately presented, but should still be considered.

I don't know if that makes sense to you, but I hope so! Keep on working hard, you are definitely getting there

Sketchbook: INSATIABLE CURIOSITY

Tumblr:http://lovegraphite.tumblr.com/

"We make our own fortunes and we call them fate" - Benjamin Disraeli

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kingkostas Thank you! 2 Value composition is really good. Thanks!

-Marin- Thanks! Really need to work on my figures and line work. You are totally right. I wanted to do a finished painting but i don't really get the motivation so far ~.~

Seraph Fawkes Such harsh critique but it is so damn true and it really tells me to get my ass up. Thanks dude for getting me back to life.
    Do this more often! Thanks! ;D

Kungfoowiz Thanks! I am already trying to do that with these ovals inside the form. But i need to train this harder. Thanks! Three dimensionality is in my opinion of of the most important things in a real painting.

reila_ Thanks. But the Progress is damn slow in my opinion ... xD

ThomasM Thanks. Just more harder training i think xD I should stop being lazy and hanging around. Damn! ;D

-----------------------------

My cold is AWAY! *__*
    Finally! YES YES YES!
    So damn happy.
    Today was the first day i was able to produce again and it felt so good!
    Some sketchbook piece where i tried to do everything with one line. Without undo (rubber xD) or overdrawing a line again.
    Perspective is a bit off, but hey. Happy to have something more in sketchbook while waiting
    Btw. still life.

Other one is a color study from today where i mixed the primary colors and then mixed primary colors with primarys
    Not finished yet.

So thats so far for today!

Greetings, Sil

Greetings, Sil ^-^

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lukas Esch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm teaching myself german by following your SB

Great work dude. Your line quality is getting pretty strong. Keep it up.

MY SKETCHBOOK IS AWESOME
    karmiclychee.net

EAT EARTH, DIG DEEP, DRINK WATER, GO TO SLEEP, YOU SHOULD NOT BE WAKING.
    Peepul: Tulokyn :: Nakhon :: Deadlyhazard :: raminafshafari
    :: Mr. Magic

8. The Following User Says Thank You to karmiclychee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,193 Times in 1,056 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    YAY! now that the cold is gone-- time for you to grind a lot of xp to make up for the days you haven't been able to create art! color study is very helpful and the still life too! now we wait for massive updates, yes?

Sketchbook
    Blog
    Drachen

Matt
    Jamie
    King
    Henri
    Lukas

available for commission/work
    email: mister.guiang@gmail.com

10. The Following User Says Thank You to teapo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    karmiclychee Wtf! :D But hey! Thanks ;)

teapo >:O Huaaa! Asian MMORPG Grinding ART SKILLZZZZ xD Kicking your ass soon! Just wait and stop running ;) Thanks dude! You are awesome! ;D

-----------------------

Lol, funny day! :D
    Figure study turned into background rendering fun. I like it! Has some sketchbook style.
    And then i attacked my weak point... the HEADS ._.
    Turned out pretty good for my bad head skills :D

Everything from ref.

See you all tomorrow with freeessshhhhh new stuff.
    Greetings!
    Sil

Last edited by Lukas Esch; March 13th, 2011 at 05:08 PM.

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The value & colour studies are looking good, especially the value ones. Now you're cooking.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hope he's cooking a very decent meal! But hey, what do you think why so much German guys are that fat they are? Because It tastes SO GOOD!

Silv, your stuff is slowly going to be awesome. I just ordered two new books for myself and I need to force myself a bit more to keep on working hard. I'll update later in about one hour i think, too.

What you really need is to practice the different spaces of the head. Your chins are totally small. You need to get a bit better into proportions.

Anyway after a turbo start, we need to drive our highway with a very decent speed! We will!

Keep it up bro!
    - Flo

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Charmer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm liking these value and color studies! Nice pencils too! Keep it up!

ThomasM is offline Artist in training.... Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 879 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    nice pencil head studies sil, I would crit that you should really keep focused on getting those eyes exactly the same distance apart from the central line, where the nose lies. If they are even slightly off then the eyes won't look "right".

Apart from that its looking good, so bring on more updates!

Sketchbook: INSATIABLE CURIOSITY

Tumblr:http://lovegraphite.tumblr.com/

"We make our own fortunes and we call them fate" - Benjamin Disraeli

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 577 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    keep working hard, studies seem to pay off slowly. The only suggestion i have for now would be to work on a particular area you have problems with some more time, realy trying to figure it out. Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Black Spot I like cooking :P Thanks!

tasser Lol dude! You definitely rock :D We already talked via ICQ, so nothing much to comment here ;)

Bethany K. Yeeah! I feel myself that my heads are coming along. Thanks!

alexson I will definitely ( i hope :D)! Happy you like them ^-^

ThomasM Yes SIR! Thanks. More updates are coming!

Fetsch Thanks. The only problem is that i want to work on everything everytime. You are right, i should concentrate on more specific things.

-------------------------------------------

Sorry dudes that i didn't update.
    It is reaaally that i have times were i update a lot and then times where i draw not much.
    This "phase" ends slowly again i think so here is a update.
    I deleted this daily from my thread because i am not updating constantly enough to name this thread daily ;)

Anyways, heres my shit :D
    Digital no ref piece from yesterday. Reaaally speedie.
    Acrylic WIP which shows a well and it's bottle going down to a small monster who has to work for the water.
    Then a reffed drawing and 2 non ref things.
    The last head with no references is quiet good in my opinion :)

Greetings, Sil

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome update! no really, I like the concepts and the diversity of your media. Great to see you painting traditionally, digitally and scribbling in pencil, it's good to be versatile and your work seems to becoming more sclectic from tht as well.

Just a thing about the composition in the akryllic-painting as well as in the pencil-drawing: You seem to establishing a portion in the upperpart of the picture that is visually cut of from the rest of the picture; one time it's the horizon, on the other it's the shpe of the head. You need to be aware of those tangents and only use them if they actually benefit your message, right now they distract a little.

Also the structure of your heads seems of to me. You are concentrating on facial features like eyes, noses mouth etc without looking at the big structure underneath with is much mor e important. Try to imagine a skull, or if tht's too much, an egg under that skin that everything must fit on. In the last head-drawing, this is very visible. If you're unsure, just flip the image in Photoshop nd you'll iediately see that the structure is way of, that the head does not have the volume needed to communicate a proper skull with a face.

All in all, it's good to see you're still so active Please continue!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,193 Times in 1,056 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hey buddy! nice use of crosshatching in this piece

anyway, regarding the head structure-- i would have to agree with ~Faust~. Concentrate more on the bigger and basic shapes then narrow it down to the details! Also, when you approach the head/face, you don't necessarily need to draw a perfect contour but perhaps just laying in the right angles of the general shape would help you learn more (not sure if that makes sense?) but it's something i picked up when i did the still life studies of that head bust in my sb.

keep it up my friend! and it's been 5 days since your last update 3':

Sketchbook
    Blog
    Drachen

Matt
    Jamie
    King
    Henri
    Lukas

available for commission/work
    email: mister.guiang@gmail.com

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe you'd be better on the faces if you boxed them. Draw a light shaped box the size if the head and then fit the head in it.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 775 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there, it's great to see that you're really pushing yourself and trying lots of new things in here. I really like that interior sketch from post #363. It looks like you were really looking at the objects you were drawing, as if you were seeing them for the first time. That's the mindset you need when drawing from life; try not to draw an eye the way you know an eye looks. Really look at your reference, study it, think about it, and draw it anew.

From your recent head studies, it looks like you should try focusing on the overall structure of the head to start with. Think about the planes that make up the head and how they fit together. If you can find a doll or model of a head, it can be really helpful to draw from a 3-dimensional object that you can turn around and draw from different angles. If all else fails, get out a mirror or a camera and use your own head and study that. I'm really glad you're looking at portraits and I hope you'll continue to do so; faces are rather difficult and tackling them early will really make drawing the human figure easier for you down the road. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The house painting is a bit busy around the roof/trees/clouds and empty in the left, making the picture unbalanced.

Heads... They are very very difficult... I try everything I can
    I don't know how you work but it may be worth to try to start with simplified, symbolic head shape and features to look where the latter should be... If you add details too soon, you may lost in them, lose time when you realize there placement/size/angle is a bit wrong and I'm quite sure they can hide problems from the not so flaw-spotting eyes. When one draw a figure, he/she should start with gesture line, simplified skeleton or something else without real anatomy, body, clothes and accessories. I think it's a bit similar with heads.
    Good luck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Waooo. Awesome progress in one year. Keep working hard.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Silwynar.

I am liking your concepts. My favorite of the update is the acrylic piece. Has a nice color temperature change from blue to red. The simpleness of the design works in this case. Really emphasizes the scale of the environment.

Hmm . . . the last head needs a bit of an improvement. It's a nice attempt without using any reference, but there's some funky things going on here with the facial features. Try to observe how the facial features look at a 3/4 view. Like other people have pointed out, the eye on the left is not going to look it would in a normal frontal view of the face. You will more than likely see the edge of the eyeball on the left end. Same with the lips. The left side of the lip is going to be shortened instead of being symmetical in this case. And logically, the bridge of the nose wouldn't go thaht far into the face as you have drawn it.

My suggestion is to do some observational sketches of that facial view. Then after a few studies, try drawing the face w/o a ref again to see if you have a better understanding of the facial structure. It's sort of like testing yourself.

Cheers and keep up the hard work.

--------------------------------------------
    "It's pointless to hate people . . ." - Gale from Digital Devil Saga 2

CA Sketchbook | CGHub Gallery | Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ~Faust~ Thank you so much dude. You are definitely right with the head. I need to train whats UNDER the skin and the muscles and, uuhhhhm, everything! Thanks!

teapo Haha, dude <3 Happy to see you are still supporting me ;)
    Glad you like the crosshatching one! It was just a speedie while relaxing because i liked the reference.
    Here goes the same as for my reply for faust. I need to train the head moooooooore!
    I don't update daily from now on because i can't keep myself doing this for a long time. So i update when i feel i could update again xD

Black Spot Thanks. I liked the ball more because it felt more comfortable for myself. But i will give the box a try too.
    Thanks!

dierat Thanks. Glad you like my work so far. For the head goes the same as in the replies above :D
    Thanks dude!

shiNIN Thanks dude. You are a great support for me :D
    House painting was "just" a speedie and i really don't know much about composition. Perhaps i should do a few composition studies soon.
    At the moment i am just doing it as i think.
    Thanks shiNIN.

iroc3d Thanks! I definitely will!

orochigenocide Hey! :) Happy you like my concepts so far. For the head i will just study whats underneath the skin. I think that helps more then just studying THIS angle and being able to do just THIS angle and with another angle i am failing again, rofl :D
    Thanks for your comment dude.

--------------------------------------

Small update.
    I met a few GREAT people, for example the guys (and girl(s) :D) from http://polynoid.org/.
    They gave me a few tips and we start being in contact from now on.

Apart from that i started to work on my basics fundamentals again because i think there are heavy lacks.
    So i studied the basic forms again and a few objects with this simple shades.

Then a small landscape scribble. Started doing this piece in oil too, but it is kinda hard! ~.~

Greetings,
    Sil

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey its awesome that you got someone to tell you to go back to the fundamentals i like the clouds and the environment concept! nice mood there

I' not convinced of the cube page though.

Here's rule #2 for drawing everything in the whole world:
    Can't draw what you don't know!!!!

Sounds corny, doesn't it? Well in the case of a cube it is surprisingly so that there isn't a lot of people who actually know what a cube looks like. Actually there's only 2 kinds of people that come to mind: First, it's architects and industrial designers with decent education, since they actually learn the perks of linear perspective and have constructed those things often enough and are trained to think in terms of space and geometry. And second there's the russian, chinese and eastern european academy artists who train the first years to fricking draw cubes that they see standing before them on a table! How awesome is that? So they're trained to think in terms of form and volume.
    All that I'm saying is that you should be a bit more attentive to your basics since its not always as easy as it sounds and to have a solid understanding means you have to train hard from day 1. Now, good perspective books are REALLY hard to find and I havent yet gotten one that tells you how to proper construct a cube, actually the perspectivevid of Carl Dobsky was kind of an eye-opener in that regard but you don't have to be spending money to draw cubes. Do the second thing, get yourself a reallife cube and draw it. And now the hard part: Don't just spend 10 minutes on it, spend at least 4 days with 3 hour sessions on it. Why? Because you'll fuck up and erase and MEASURE and redraw, fuckup. erase, REMASURE, redraw etc.

Because here's rule #1 for drawing everything in the whole world:
    Proportions are EVERYTHING!

You put the right mark into the RIGHT PLACE and magic will happen. Guaranteed. But the right place is something you will have to search for for a long time, you do this by measuring, with the pencil, a stick, a ruler whatever I don't care, just control yourself and don't rush your drawings, at least not those fundamental studies. Because those are things that you will definately not want to screw up.

Hope that helps-

btw, if you draw values to depict form, you have to understand the concept of planes first. And in order for that to happen it's handy to also know about edges. But proportions come always first. And last-

29. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Faust~ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ~Faust~ Thanks dude! Great critque. :) You are right with the proportions, i really need to take more care of them. But i find it very difficult to do so. Proportions are hard to get and they need time. Time i often don't want to spend on these fast pieces ~.~ But i need to change that... NOW! :D
    Let's see what i can do.
    Thanks again.

--------------------------------------

Quick speedie because i just wanted to do something.
    Spend a lot of time with my friends hanging around. Wasted, but nice time ^^''

Greetings, Sil

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 577 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    good to see you working on your basics, realy important to get those down and always worth to go back. On your speedy dont fear to use a bigger value range, brighter and darker spots. Maybe try to start with very dark and bright values and build the other values between afterwards.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you should focus more on your studies, than on doing images from imagination. Now I admit I haven't seen every page of this thread, but I noticed you tend to post many illustrations, and just a few studies every now and again. A few studies are not enough. Don't just eat art for breakfast, eat it for dinner, supper and every other meal too. You really could improve faster, just focus your studies, and work hard for a while. It will pay off. I'd say get yourself a copy of one of the famous anatomy books (Bridgman's, Hampton's, Loomis', etc) and study it, analyze the drawings and information there, and copy it.

It doesn't cost You much to leave a comment in my sketchbook, and it can help me a lot.

My new sketchbook

Follow me on facebook or WiPnation or Twitter!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good call, Silwynar.

Mucho improvements on the updates. I see great potential with where you're going. Be careful with putting grays/blacks in the clouds. That tends to flatten values out if your are using them as value replacements. I think in this case, it may be better to user a darker "warmer" shade of blue for the darker areas. And I think you did a good job defining the form on that half-naked lady. Just be careful with some structures of her body like her right arm and the breast touching it. They look kinda wobbly if you know what I mean.

Keep going! Love to see more.

--------------------------------------------
    "It's pointless to hate people . . ." - Gale from Digital Devil Saga 2

CA Sketchbook | CGHub Gallery | Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fetsch Thanks. Normally i am not the kind of person which tends to use a low value range. Let's see what comes out next speed painting
    Thanks for commenting!

Gildorek You were totally right. Studies are getting me faster forward then just this scribbling "don't know what really to draw"
    Your wish is already applied, i studied a lot anatomy for today.
    Already feeling how it helped o_o
    Need to practice more anatomy!
    Thanks for commenting dude!

orochigenocide Thanks. You are right with the clouds. I should have used a wider blue range for the contrasts, ....
    Thanks dude.

-----------------------------

Didn't got the time to draw, but TODAY i drew a lot!
    There was something new "inside me".
    Like a inner flame started burning again for drawing.
    Couldn't do enough today.
    I really need to get myself to bed because i could go on and on today

So here's my stuff ONLY from TODAY
    First a few gestures, then a fast character scribble for an Artbattle on a german forum and a lot of anatomy stuff.
    For the char: Throw stones on me! I know the anatomy SUCKS!

Greetings, Silwynar

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Take attention to the proportions, your figures in your last update has a long torso, the first figure has big arms and short legs!
    Nice anatomy studies Keep it up

Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 161