Is it normal not to be able to draw from...

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Is it normal not to be able to draw from...

Is it normal not to be able to draw from Imagination? I can't seem to draw anything without looking at a ref either from a pic or RL. Sometimes stuff just flows out and other times I can't think of anything to draw. This usually happens at school most of the time could this just be that school drains creativity? While at school I try and draw people from class, I don't know if I have even begun to improve but w/e atm.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can't think of what to draw? Make a random scribble on your paper. For fun, try to be as random as possible. Hold your pencil weird, act like you can't control your arms properly, make funny noises, and don't even bother to look at the paper. Then once you've got a big mess, look for interesting shapes in it. Let your imagination make sense of it. Turn it into a creature or a character or a spaceship or whatever you see in it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some people find easier to draw from imagination, others from reference. Sometimes you're feeling creative and sometimes you're not. School can drain energy from you and creativity uses energy. And some people is indeed more creative than the rest, don't be so hard on yourself and just draw if you like to do it. Do what burthrun says, go crazy and enjoy drawing!

Writing is good, thinking is better. Cleverness is good, patience is better.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 277 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think there are several reasons for that: you might be occupied with getting things right, you might not have the confidence in your strokes, or you're just not sure of what to draw. I agree with the posts above, the best thing to do is just enjoy the act of putting things to paper and have a childlike enthusiasm for it, don't let rules bog you down too much

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You just need to practice....a lot. I had the exact same problem mostly because I always avoided drawing from my imagination because it was so far off my drawings from ref. I just overcame the shitness and mixed it up. Just remember to really pay attention to what your doing, how this line overlaps this line etc, without doing that you're simply brainlessly copying.

Also just really don't care if it ends up crap or not, its simply your journey to greatness.

Currently looking for work!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dilated For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilated View Post
    You just need to practice....a lot. I had the exact same problem mostly because I always avoided drawing from my imagination because it was so far off my drawings from ref. I just overcame the shitness and mixed it up. Just remember to really pay attention to what your doing, how this line overlaps this line etc, without doing that you're simply brainlessly copying.

Also just really don't care if it ends up crap or not, its simply your journey to greatness.
    I agree with this completely, I avoided drawing from imagination for the exact same reason, but I realized without it I wasn't really applying what I studied from ref. Like some people mentioned before in other threads/posts drawing from imagination, is really drawing from memory, and the way to train that is to first draw from ref, do studies, then immediately after while it's still fresh in your mind, draw from memory. I think this enables you to store the information for the long term, otherwise it just gradually disappears like it did for me.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mpdpsy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    For the most part, with pieces involving any degree of realism, drawing from imagination must be combined with reference for the best results. Slavish copying is bad, using reference properly is most definitely good - and essential.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Baron Impossible For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it's simple...the more you draw something the more you will remember it's form. There are people who can draw specific cars from the imagination. If someone never drew a corvette do how tough would it be for them to draw it from the imagination? Sculpting is a great way to get the form planted in the brain.

Jay's CA.org Sketchbook:
    Jay's Conceptart.org sketchbook

Check out my portfolio:
    http://jasonrossart.carbonmade.com

Check out my blog:
    http://mind2pixels.blogspot.com

"Practice" DOES NOT make perfect...
    "Perfect Practice" makes perfect...

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jason Ross For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for all of your comments guys, they all have been very helpful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Ross View Post
    it's simple...the more you draw something the more you will remember it's form. There are people who can draw specific cars from the imagination. If someone never drew a corvette do how tough would it be for them to draw it from the imagination? Sculpting is a great way to get the form planted in the brain.
    Yes, now and then you see a nice ass walking by and while the memory linger's some part of your brain convert's it into blocks and bulk shapes Bridgeman style. Hehehehe!!

It does wonders if you wan't to grab a piece of paper and jot down what you remember, The format of what you remember changes and it makes it simpler because you studied it a bit.

----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Try as I might, I just can't draw the instrument panel of a 747 from imagination.

Oh wait, I've never really ever gotten a good long look at a 747 instrument panel. . .

If it's not in your head, it's not going to come out of your pencil.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You could possibly also be a victim of "the Dip"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am very like, you where its tough to simply just come up with something, but the more you draw things from life, the easier it is to start tying things from pure imagination to your artwork, but I always have a library of reference pictures and books to help with things like anatomy and perspective. I find that looking at digital illustrations and Renaissance paintings gives me inspiration for alot of my artworks.

Most importantly TALK to your friends and fellow artists, most of my latest works have come to be through discussions with fellow artist friends.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its harder to draw from your head. I am having the same problem but im getting over it with time.

This is what helped me, project that image from your mind on paper.

And instead of starting with entire parts of the body and wasting time on say finishing an entire arm... Start with a gesture of what you see in your head. Think of drawing as sculpting not drawing.

Get the most dramatic information of that figure on paper first. The angle of the torso. The angle of the legs (Always start with the leg holding the most weight)

If the character has some important object he/shes holding get that out too. Especially if its large.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.