Sketchbook: Arrrg, I need to draw more.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Arrrg, I need to draw more.

This is pathetic, really. :/ Anywho.

I figure you've read this jargon a billion times over, and I'm sorry for the fact I'll be restating it!

I'm just really hoping to improve. I figure that this can only be achieved through insanely hard work, and lots and lots of art. Thank god I now have a tablet, though, yeh? So it's not too bad.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Iiridellia; February 16th, 2010 at 07:22 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today - lotsa Sketches. Just random things I did in little spurts, doing about 15 minutes or less on each one. usually much less. XD OK, well, two of them are 15 minutes. the rest got much less!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Shitty self portrait

Based off a picture, but it's really horrible. It looks.. Vaugley like me? Lips look like a wrong shade... Probably because I theived the colors from the photo directly, but nothing else. Also, the hair bothers me, but I decided to just stop working on it after a while.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Nothing to do with anything.

I feel the intense need to post this. I just.... do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya Iiridellia, thanks for dropping by my sketchbook (Sorry for the bad picture quality/fuzziness )

No worries about the quality of your art, it will improve in time. Just make sure you enjoy the process and NOT that end result, as that will royally screw you up, as it did for me. Because I was so focused on the end result in the beginning, I had a really bad time, because, since I was just a beginner, all my stuff was like crap.

Anyway, if you want an ego boost, go look at the first several pages of my sketchbook - awful stuff there

"Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

| Sketchbook | Live Stream | Portfolio | dA | Facebook | Tumblr |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it's a good start~~~
    hope to see more~
    best wishes~~~
    and thank you for your visit~~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know what they say, an artist arts. Lets see some anatomy studies up in here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a nice start ^_^ watch your perspective, the placement of the back horn on the deer looks a little too far forward in comparison with the rest of the head. Could just be me though ^_^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey there!
    Thanks to drop by my SB =)
    it's great to see you're with the right attitud and willing to work hard! it's really gonna pay off =)
    I sugges watchin mre carefully your proportions, for what I've learned the past months, I' say stick with drawing and structure first, it'd make everything much easier in the future, I nglected that before and now I'm aving some serious troubles to get that fixed >.<
    So yeah keep up your work and keep doing studies!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Iiridellia, looks like you've made a great start here!

If you're pretty new to the whole digital art thing and with using a tablet, I would definitely suggest that you start with the foundations first rather than jumping straight into full colour portraits. I think you'll find that having a good knowledge of how to achieve accurate tonal values on various forms, made of different materials and under different lighting conditions, will greatly boost your confidence when trying to draw anything from imagination.

There is an excellent thread here that you should take a peek at -----> http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=53517

As Rabbi Satan said, focus on the process and take note when you see how much you have improved. Don't let any bad feelings about your work prevent you from enjoying your art to the point where you want to quit. Trust me, I know what that's like.

Starting a sketchbook here was a great step towards improving, I'm excited to see how your art develops into the future. Practice, practice, practice!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Rabbi - I tried to work a bit more on enjoying the process, and ended up indeed having some fun... atleast while thinking of things for my girl to say, yeh?

@ZhouPeng - I'll keep working, thank you for your wishes!

@Longxiang - Hah, I shall do those artsings.

@KittyPoker - I'll fix that ASAP, I noticed it now that you pointed it out.

@Dark Razvan - Well, I went back and worked a bit more on the basics, so to speak...

@Jaro - I'll definitely be looking through that thread. I glanced earlier, and was entranced. Looks like it promises to be an interesting read. :3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    #*$(&@#($

5's hand is larger than her head. O_O

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sense of humour in the lineup, Iiridellia Don't feel discouraged posting artwork. However always try to improve little by little and learn something from each picture you draw so that you move forward not backwards. Definitely work on the basic structure which will help you progress to the next step.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hai Iiridellia

greats start and good luck
    by the way here some studies if you interested, the link was share by my friend on my sb to studies, maybe this can help you to improve your skill

anyway thank you for visiting my sb

keep it up and good luck

just another ordinary man who have an used pen with a lot of tape on it with his old computer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Bosatsu
    :3 I'll keep that in mind.
    @Wakoes
    I'm checking that link out right now, hun.

But, in other news... I've been busy working on my senior project so not as much drawing. Here's what I did today, though - a portrait that I've been putting off of a friend of mine. For 2 dollars, at that! XD

Ok, well. 2 suckers.

But they were a dollar apiece!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Posemaniacs.

First poses on top, last on the bottom. Dear god, that was.... difficult. I did horrrible, though. :/ Yet, I feel like I did improve from the top to the bottom, perhaps you can see it too?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Good stuff!
    Posemaniacs is at times a bit of a pain, but it really does help.
    But if possible do life drawing. Whether its a life drawing class, or just sketching people on the bus or at the Mall.

Thanks for the sb visit too!
    Keep at it!
    matt

Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post
    yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.
    And I said, "But God, nice panties are so expensive!"
    And he said, "Welp, I suppose you better shut up and draw."

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya Iiridellia =)

If I could suggest something - try using blocks for the pelvis, or a slightly tapered one, especially for female figures. It's also easy to draw and foreshorten with.

But in anycase, Rome wasn't built within a day, it took me quite a long time to get to where I am now. I started my very first imaginary figure in my 1st sketchbook sometime around 2006. If you want, I can scan it and post it here for you. I don't have any first ones from Life though, as I threw them in the trash because they were so bad.

In fact, I'll link a small quick tutorial I did for another forum goer here, by the name if Linnaine. Here it is.

If you need, I could create some more comprehensive tutorials. Starting with the 3 masses - the cranium/head, rib cage, and pelvic block. Then to one shape that resembles the largest mass of the body, which would be something like a V for a man and an hourglass shape for a woman. Do the previous two steps as standing soldier poses if you want, if it makes things easier for you.
    The next step is to then use the gesture line to delineate action and gesture of the form, and then use two lines to delineate the shoulder and waist line, and then use whcihever method you prefer to block in the form.
    The next step after that is to do it in the fly, no construction lines, no gesture lines, no aids. This sounds impossible, I thought it was too for a while, but Marko Djurjevic does it, Michelangelo did it, and I can now do it. Just happened one day when I decided to try drawing figures without the gesture and construction lines. But you NEED the first fundamentals to pull it off.

In fact, I'll whip up a tut now for you, I'll respond in a day or so with this.

Keep trucking~!

"Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't wait to see your tutorial, Rabbi. I downloaded and printed the one you did for that other girl, and it's now sitting with Bridgman and Loomis, in my stack of 'Attempt to learn from/replicate/draw.

Urg, I feel like I'm getting, realistically, no where though. Now that I look back at the posemaniacs, I feel like I am desperately horrible.
    :/ I don't feel like I have the natural, in born, etc, talent to ever be able to do this for a living, Like I used to dream as I sat down at 10 years old trying to draw the Pegacorn (Unicorn + Pegasus) I had in my head.
    Makes me sad.
    I'm going into 3D, most likely, though. I do pretty decent, I think, at that... but then again, I thought I was pretty decent at art. Then I learned that I'm SOL by starting to lurk sketchbooks here. >.<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Daunted by seeing the work in ca?, i know the feeling all to well
    dont ya dare to give up tho, if you really want it then work for it,
    keep doing the quick construction gestures, but also spend a bit more time
    thinking about the underlying structure, you say your learning form
    Loomis right? try coping his gestures and simplified skeleton construction
    with more fidelity, analyze as much as you can, but above all spend the
    time to try to make the studies as good as you can, i feel your rushing trough
    them a bit, much of drawing is related of just thinking the right way, if your
    don't spend enough time analyzing you ill miss some important bits.

and above all, HAVE FUN, that too is core in getting better so there,
    go have fun or else! will be back later, thanks for stoping by

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As promised, here the tutorial I whipped up.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm trying to get a mega install of Oblivion to work

If you need a bigger resolution, tell me.

Name:  figure tut.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  66.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Egahds. I've been absolutely _swamped_ with senior project, extra classes, normal classes, etc.

Urg.

@Rabbi - THANK YOU. I shall examine what you've given me and work more on complete/well done sketches asap. Wont be till spring break or after, I bet, that I really get time to work though.

@Max - Thank you for your encouragement and your advice. I'll take it into consideration and slow down. My friend fusses at me if I spend more than 10-15 minutes on something though! He says I'm not good enough to even consider something like that.

Now, as for what I've been doing lately? Senior project!

Here's a peek. I'm not too good, but I think it's pretty decent for my first ever model using Zbrush.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.