Thread: New Web Comic?

Thanks

New Web Comic?

I hope I'm posting this in the right spot. Just wanted to get some people interested in my new web comic. I will update DAILY so check back every night!

http://lildamien.blogspot.com/
    ~If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    could use more panels imo, but the color is nice

Thanks
    Thanked 2,362 Times in 1,214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBeats View Post
    I hope I'm posting this in the right spot. Just wanted to get some people interested in my new web comic. I will update DAILY so check back every night!

http://lildamien.blogspot.com/
    Ewww, blogspot. Why would you put your audience through shitty blog navigation instead of just hosting your comic on a free webcomic host? Or buying your own domain and cheap hosting package?
    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    As someone who wandered the webcomic scene for years, I must give you this piece of advice. You should not start advertising your webcomic until you have at minimum 20 pages, especially if your comic is in one panel format. Or else people come, see there's nothing there, leave, and forget about it.
    Also many people hate the blogspot format. Mayhaps try Comicgenesis, drunkduck, smackjeeves, comic dish, or buying your own domain.

Thanks
    Wow. Thanks Cheese. I am so new to all of this I had no idea. I will buy my own domain and have a much more official looking site in a week or so. I just want to get into peoples RSS feeds. Can you do that from those pages?

Again, thanks a million.

~Ben
    ~If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    While I do agree with what is being said, I'm curious. What is considered so god awful about blogspot? Any update would be right at the top, widgets make archive access pretty easy... what's sooooo bad? I'm not saying it is the ultimate webcomic platform, just wondering why the unanimous blogspot hate in reference to webcomics.
    Last edited by Hookswords; February 8th, 2010 at 03:53 PM.

Thanks
    I was wondering the same. I've never had any trouble navigating a BLOG. It's going to stay simple and previous pages will all be listed on the right. I just want accessibility to the net. Not some proprietary web comic space (that all looked ugly BTW).

Thanks
    Personally I find all of the free web comic places, like those listed above, to be too amateur looking to want to be associated with, clunky, non user friendly at first glance (which is the glance that matters), and full of young furry art. I'd say that something like word press would be a way to go with your own unique domain as already suggested. It's not uncommon for webcomics to have a blog to go along side them so you could keep what you have for concept sketches and behind the scenes stuff. Though, word press does have a blog function for their site designs so..... in any case, good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks
    I am going to check this for more detail. These all links seems interesting. Thanks for this info.

Thanks
    Blogspot might work if it was a journal webcomic, but for a webcomic you want to read from beginning to end it makes it rather difficult. You have to scroll and hunt for the comics, you have to click back months, sometimes years, go to the bottom and read up, and the non comic updates are mixed in with comic updates, sometimes meaning lots of text many people don't care about. It can just be a hassle. The archives and back/next format is the best, as it imitates turning the pages of a real book. All the pages are right there and you don't have to scavenge for them.
    Also, yes, I know there's a lot of crap in the free webcomic hosting places, but there are some gems buried in there. Sometimes very deeply. Plus it's a great place for a webcomic newbie to get their feet wet, and there's a community built around the sites to help new people. Once they're accustomed to the whole webcomic thing they can buy their own domian and transfer their website over. For example dovecotecrest.com ran on Comicdish for awhile before they got the knowledge and confidence to buy their own domain. Also places like Comicgenesis and Comicdish have become very flexible about how you design your website. It looks as good as how much effort you put in it. (And your website building skills)

Also I'm fairly sure most webcomic hosting places can use rss feed.
    Last edited by Cherry_Cheesecake100; February 9th, 2010 at 06:56 PM.

Thanks
    I actually won't be posting anything on the site. That was just a welcome. I hear what you are saying. maybe all these things will change when I get some money. Thanks for your input.

Also, there's already been an update and will be another one tonight!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hookswords View Post
    Personally I find all of the free web comic places, like those listed above, to be too amateur looking to want to be associated with, clunky, non user friendly at first glance (which is the glance that matters), and full of young furry art.
    Agreed, there's nothing wrong with the blog method.
    Have fun!

Thanks
    Aww, don't blame the webcomic host sites for the crap that ends up on them. It's because they're free and fairly easy to use that every Tom, Dick and Harry posts a webcomic on them - even if they can't write or draw and have disturbing fetishes.

Anyways good luck, BenBeats. You have a nice art style and a good update schedule so I think you'll pick up a bit of a cult following. If you want to do more research on webcomics www.thewebcomiclist.com/forums/ is a good place to go. Lots of webcomic veterans frequent there.

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    People are saying there's nothing wrong with the blog method but.... having to click on a drop down menu to go to every panel (and i'm not sure they're in the correct order, umm) will be a pain.

A comic is meant to have a sense of flow, web-based or otherwise... and constantly having to click, drop, click, load to every panel really is not helping you. sorry man.

But!! It's nothing that can't be remedied. There are already some great suggestions here to have more panels per bulk, even if it makes the updates a bit further apart, it's a worthwhile tradeoff to have some consistent flow between a group of panels. But yeah, get about 30-40 panels (not 'pages') up there, then have another whack at advertising and watch the views come flying in.

Thanks
    Got two weeks of material up there! Anyone check it out? Opinions?

Thanks
    Checked out the first page of panels. I wish you the best of luck with your project!

The immediate drawback I can see to your 'one panel a day' update schedule is that it'll be hard to keep up dramatic tension to lure me back for return visits - every panel of a story can't really be a page-turner, if you know what I mean?
    Sketchbook 2005 2006 2009

Thanks
    and now I get why people hate blogspot for reading web comics. Unless you're checking it every day it is a hassle to go back. It might not hurt to put some of those widgets to work to aid in navigation

Thanks
    There are seven posts a week. There is one pull down menu to navigate to the previous weeks. I don't understand the pain in that. I really don't. I appreciate your feedback, I'll have a new site and domain in the next week or so, but I don't really see the complication in a pull down menu.