Color Palette Help?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Color Palette Help?

so i'm thinking of starting to work in acrylics, but i'm not sure which colors to buy. I really enjoy the color palettes of Greg "Craola" Simkins, Lola Gil, JennyBird Alcantara, and Michael Hussar (i know he uses oils, but the colors should translate). So if anyone knows anything about what colors they might use often, please PLEASE help me out. Thanks

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't really know what specific colours they use but I don't think they have a tube for every colour they use. Just mix a lot. And don't worry about having every colour when you start up, they pile over time like you wouldn't believe.

Anid Maro is offline Psychotic Eldritch Zeppelin Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A good starter palette is the "split primary" setup. This involves getting two of each "primary" color, each one leaning towards the other primaries. So you'd get a slightly greenish-yellow and a slightly reddish-yellow, a slightly yellowish-red and a slightly bluish-red, a slightly bluish-green and a slightly yellowish green, and top it off with a white a black and possibly a brown and a green for convenience.

Here's a sample pigment list:

Yellows
    Cadmium Lemon
    Cadmium Yellow

Reds
    Cadmium Red Orange
    Cadmium Red Deep

Blues
    Ultramarine Bllue
    Cerulean Blue

Brown
    Burnt Sienna

Green
    Viridian

White
    Titanium White

Black
    Ivory Black

Some small tubes of something like that above list should do you good. You don't have to get those exact pigments (nor would I necessarily suggest it, some of them like those cadmiums can be pricey), anything more or less in that range will do.

Once you've adjusted to acrylics and have a feel for mixing and all that you can start either making your own palette or playing around with other artists' palettes.

I know you wanted to try out particular palette schemes, but I'd suggest just starting with a simple setup like the split-primary scheme. When learning a new medium you'll spend a bunch of time just trying to get a handle on things, no sense making things harder on yourself by trying to understand how acrylics work and why some artist chose those particular paints all at the same time.

-My work can be found at my local directory thread.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anid Maro For This Useful Post:

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,890 Times in 2,360 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Another palette option is a prismatic palette where you have Black, blue, violet, red, orange, yellow and white

Zazerzs is offline ....bing me the bore worms Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Check out my color link.

"Talent is a word found in the mouth of the lazy to dismiss the hard work of those who have achieved."
    Anatomy Thread
    Sketchbook
    Interested in learning more about color? Read this!
    Fletcher:Color Control

Thanks
    Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,360 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Anid Maro has a good suggestion, but I would use different colors.

Titanium white and lamp/ivory black stay, of course.

Cool and warm reds: alizarin/azo and burnt sienna. (Good burnt sienna is definitely red, not brown.)

Cool and warm yellows: cadmium yellow light and yellow ochre.

Cool and warm blues: ultramarine and phthalo blue. (Cerulean is cool and grayish, it has limited use.)

That should give you a very reasonable starter palette.

You can get brighter or more limited-use colors later as you need them. The most versatile ones are cadmium red, raw sienna, cobalt blue. - again, the triad but producing different effects. Don't bother with greens and browns: greens are best mixed from yellow and blue, and browns from the earth colors.

Note that this palette still includes the ultramarine and burnt sienna, which is the time-tested recipe for making good neutral values.

And, of course, get artist-grade paint. Most companies will have cheap student lines, which may be tempting but typically is little better than dyed chalk. Find a pigment code reference sheet and buy paints that are based on real pigments. Avoid any dyes or imitations, "hues" as the manufacturers call them (e.g. "cobalt blue hue" instead of "cobalt blue").

8. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.