Sketchbook: It's one of those days.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

It's one of those days.

WELCOME TO SR-5'S SKETCHBOOK!

Hello!

My name is SR-5 and this will be my first sketchbook. I thought it'd be exciting to post up my sketches so I can record my progress and improvement with some help here from you. This sketchbook will be full of digital sketches since my aim is to level up my skills with digital drawings as a lot as I can. Feel free to drop any comment, critique, or some feedback.

I also will update my sketchbook weekly! Be sure to check my sketchbook whenever you can!

Last edited by SR-5; December 11th, 2010 at 11:25 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome! Nice little intro. pic. Let's see those sketches.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SKETCH ENTRY #1

[ Traveler ] Thanks for the welcome! Now, you can see my sketches.

Some recent still-life sketches done between 10 to 30 minutes.

I had to sketch the icecream sketch really fast before it melted so I could eat it while it was so delicious and gooey with chocolate.

Now, I realize I need to improve on my contrast skills.

Here's some old unfinished work from few months ago, my first ones with Corel Painter 11.

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good so far. Nice job with the graffiti BG on the last one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice start man, the first one is the best untill now.
    Show us more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SKETCH ENTRY #2

[ Traveler ] Thank you.

[ Night Snake ] Thanks! I plan on showing some more now.

I haven't had much time lately because of final exams coming up soon but these two latest sketches are done in two last days.

Just felt like doing an iconic hero so I ended up with Batman. I think it needs a lot more of contrast and more details. I'm not sure how to do the skin detail. This one took around two hours in total - on and off.

And this one, yeah, I wanted to improve on figure movement, angle, and depth perceptions. My goal for the next entry is to improve sketches by drawing more figures in action, not be too picky about details, and work with colors.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SKETCH ENTRY #3

I know, I know. It's been a while since I came here. I haven't had much time lately because of midterms and busy schedules with school. I need to get started with painting soon because I miss it lots and I want to get active with it. Lately, I've been experimenting with colors. Those two sketches has been done recently: the girl about two days on and off and the blue creature less than one hour. Any constructive feedback, critiques or comments are appreciated. Enjoy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very good stuff so far, I like the blue creature most of the more recent stuff. Keep up the great work

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Icedearth15876 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello there! You've got some nice drawings here. If you still want to practice figure and different gestures, I advice you to check out posemaniacs.com. You can make loads of quick sketches based on the 3d models there. For more advanced anatomic studies you should get Loomis and Bridgman pdfs, and draw draw draw.
    I think you should try to experiment with hard brushes too. Blending with them is much more difficult, but using them you can add much more details and create more defined stuff.
    About skin, the important thing is that skin doesn't really look like a biscuit. It's made of many shades of many colours, incuding blue and green, and red, and grey. Using them gives your characters a realistic look. When lurking pro's work, you can check out how they use a whole pallete on a character's face and then try to experiment with it too.
    Keep drawing. Remember, every time you stop drawing, someone else continues doing it to be better than you. (:

11. The Following User Says Thank You to soletaken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SKETCH ENTRY #4

I apologize for the delay. I haven't had any access on Concept Art for a long time due to the dial-up. Here's some recent paintings that I did whilst playing around with different brushes. On that note, does anybody know how to customize brushes? It'll be helpful if I know how to do some.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting last couple pieces. It's nice to see how much recognition Adonihs's work has gotten him lately with the slew of people starting up their own characters. He pushed a generation of artists to expand on their own. Looks good.

I think the one thing I'd suggest working on is your balance between hard and soft lines. Right now, almost everything you've posted looks to have been made with a soft edged brush. And granted, if sure that was'nt the case from start to finish. But the two that DON'T reflect this are the phone/mouse study. I think you spent a lot more time analyzing differences in contrast, so you saw more clearly where lines became sharp, and where they went soft. You have to do the same thing with your characters/environments.

I'd be interested to see you do an entire piece start to finish with a hard round brush. But in your brush settings check "other dynamics" and change "opacity jitter" from off to "pen pressure". This will let you still play with gradients, but you're going to have to control them with the touch of your hand and not the softness of the brush your using.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to S3CTR4 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [ S3CTR4 ] When I read your advice, I think that's one of best advices I ever read because not only it gives me an insight on what I'm doing but how I can improve. Thank you for that and I really do appreciate that.

You're right about my soft/hard painting lines because I think they're one of my biggest weaknesses so I'm going to start on a piece with the hard brush from the start to the end like you said and see how it'll differ from other painting methods I've attempted. I'll do that as my next painting then.

SKETCH ENTRY #5

Here's one of my latest paintings completed on and off at least in two days.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lately, I'm getting hang of Corel Painter XI brushes. Just one question: is it possible to download any brushes for Corel 11? If so, what'd be the best place to download brushes? Thanks!

And here's some latest sketches I've been working on. In order, the 1st one is the portrait of myself done at least in 4 hours, 2nd one is the same sketch in the previous post but just with a couple of fixes, and the 3rd one is a sneak preview of my current sketch.

SKETCH ENTRY # 6

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all! I just realized how much I missed painting so much so I'm going to paint a lot whether it's for sketches or completed paintings. My new goal is to post anything once a week so I can get some constructive feedback and use that to improve my paintings as well as coming to CA forums often.

Any comment or constructive feedback is truly appreciated!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the last couple. The self portrait is VERY good, and so is the one just below it. Your contrast is getting better and better and they look less soft, for lack of a better term. The last one is looking good too, though the profile of his face seems a little flat to me, and his arm or hand looks wrong, somehow, I think it's because his hand looks a little misshapen. But still, a very good piece. Keep up the good work and keep drawing!

God and other artists are always a little obscure. - Oscar Wilde

All art is but imitation of nature. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Please, visit my sketchook! I'm always interested in advice!
    Travels - A Sketchbook

Also, don't forget to drop by my fellow Sketchbook Support Group artist's pages!
    .empyrean.'s Sketchbook
    SigonWulf's Sketchbook
    Demotyme's Sketchbook

19. The Following User Says Thank You to HolsterDraw For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome work, loving the still life! brilliant work!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to JRStagg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you sure got a lot of experience with form and color.. but still for me its too digital, too carefull.. no strokes at all.. its just too clean .try to go crazy with your brushes

my Sketchbook plz help me become a better artist !

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=153575

23. The Following User Says Thank You to MarcSampson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [ HolsterDraw ] Thank you! Yes, I still need to work on the anatomy but otherwise, thank you for commenting on the contrast! I just keep improving on it as I've got a grasp of understanding on how to achieve it.

[ JRStragg ] Thanks! I plan on doing more sketches of still life later on!

[ MarcSampson ] Haha, I'll take your word for it. Yea, I admit that I can be a perfectionist but I'll go crazy on next few sketches!

SKETCH ENTRY # 6

Here's some recent sketches and the last one with Elephant one isn't finished yet but I might finish it tonight. Any critiques? Bring 'em on!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 925 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    good stuff here m8. would like to see some studies. i think it will crisp up your work. you have a good running start with your understanding of form and value. your work really pops.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to JakehC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [ lolbbq ] Thanks! I'm glad to hear that my work definitely pops. I plan on makin' 'em pop up more. When I get a chance, I will definitely post up some studies. It'll be good to go back to drawing roots. And where did you come up with 'lolbbq'?

FINALIZED SKETCH ENTRY # 6

Just been playing around with colors and textures. So, I think I've got hang of colors and textures so I'll start to sketch movements and poses of people next. Thank god my finals will be over next week so I can spend my whole frickin' break drawing whatever I want allll the time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I decided to take a break from studying my finals for fifteen minutes and fortunately, my fifteen minutes turned into four hours of this sketch. I used like four different brushes especially that ribbon brush which I had so much fun with. There's some mistakes in this sketch and I'm debating whether to turn it into a completed painting or not. Ah, I'll sleep on it.

And it was totally worth the break. Back to studying then. Or rather, sleeping.

SKETCH ENTRY # 7

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool sb

Crit on the guy in red power suit - the reflection in the mirror is too low, if you make the perpendicular on the mirror it's not placed quite right. Also you need to reverse the hand as well and place its reflection on the mirror. NOt exactly sure how mirror images are constructed, but it might also be the whole mirror needs to be closer to him, for his reflection to be in that position. IMO with the mirror where it is now, his actual reflection will be further to the left (at least partially outside the image).

I hope you finish that elephant, it's shaping up quite nicely. What I would do is make one of the light sources stronger, because right now they're competing against each other and none of them has enough strength to make a good shape, that's why it still looks a bit flat. They say that if your main light is cool then your shadow color needs to be warm, and vice versa. You might wanna experiment with that, could turn out pretty sweet

30. The Following User Says Thank You to tribe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, thanks for the timely comment on my new SB. I really appreciate it.

Lots of cools scenes in here. You should definitely take that last one further. Personally, I'd remove the doorway, it takes away some of the drama/tension.

Good luck with the exams!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to D0ming0 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [ tribe ] Thanks for checking my sketchbook out! As for the red armoed person, it's not an actual mirror but more like a clone of himself frozen in the block. But I do appreciate your time writing on how to change that. As for the elephant, I can see where you're coming from about light sources. I think I'll either focus on the light on elephant or change the tone of background so the painting would provide more in-depth details like you said. I'll definitely do that by the next post, thanks!

[ d0ming0 ] Thanks for commenting on my sketchbook as well as wishing good luck on my finals! Good luck definitely helped me to achieve high marks on my exams. I think I agree with you about the last scene. I'll crop the border out and fix it up by the next post.

Last edited by SR-5; December 11th, 2010 at 10:11 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SKETCH ENTRY # 8

I just normally don't do fan arts but I just felt like doing them lately. Both are speed paints, completed around in four hours each. I learned a lot with Donkey Kong because I never really sketched any environment with a being in it so it helped me a great deal learning about how to do that. And of course, they're copyrighted by Nintendo like always.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,077 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey unit SR-5, really fab sketchy you have here.., I particularly like how you paint colours. =) I used to use a soft brush also so I kinda like your work because of that look it creates. =)

The ribbon brush is the awesome.. it looks like you used it in this one.. keep on painting SR-5! =)

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Kungfoowiz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [ Kungfoowiz ] Hey! Thanks for commenting on my sketchbook! Yeah, it's amazing that looking back over this sketchbook to see how far I've painted, starting with a soft brush to hard one. Like the ribbon brush, I started using different brushes, thanks to photoshop brushes. Only if I knew how to install some brushes for Corel Painter IX.

Hell, it's fantastic to be back on the internet after surviving without any internet for three weeks. Annnnnddd... here's some new resolutions:

[1] Learn how to paint backgrounds properly. (I always believed that backgrounds would be easy to paint... not. I'm such a liar).
    [2] Develop brushes and learn how to install brushes onto Corel Painter IX. (Those brushes would save my life by making it easier for me).
    [3] Get my hands on the real sketchbook and start sketching like crazy. (I should have listened to the masters of art earlier. Sketches do create the foundation for digital painting all way).
    [4] I like to state the obvious so here I go: to become a pro at painting. (One day, one day...).

SKETCH ENTRY # 9

I don't know about you but lately, I've been seeing a lot of female fighters in bikinis with their pretty faces so flawless without a single scratch (maybe just a tiny one) while they're fighting like hell in the middle of the battle. It's time to give 'em some bruises and bloody noses.

I liked the outcome of this sketch so I'll tune it up.... and for the background, god help me.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.