Follows
    Following

Paul Chan

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2100 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i hate all impressionist and abstract art and dont care for its meaning, i rather look at concept art all day

4. The Following User Says Thank You to riceface For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The article is titled "What Art Is and Where it Belongs" and it has nothing to do with impressionism or abstract art (directly). I posted it here because it has to do with Concept Art and maybe why this community came together. It is about freedom and belonging.

@riceface: A lot of concept art is impressionist and/or abstract.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 2100 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,227 Times in 1,348 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    And impressionist art is often quite impressive, too. Once you "get" the Impressionists you'll never see color the same again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Remember, folks....

Abstract art isn't art in the past, isn't art in the present, and never will be in the future.
    To sum it up, abstract art isn't art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeon_OND View Post
    Remember, folks....

Abstract art isn't art in the past, isn't art in the present, and never will be in the future.
    Wait, what?

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Skapanorn View Post
    Wait, what?
    It's OK, he's been drawing for eight months, so he's an expert.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Remember, folks....

Well that's a pretty unintelligent statement if Ive ever heard one.

"We are the music makers... and we are the dreamers of dreams."

MY SKETCHBOOK!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Remember, folks....

i agree with u whole heartedly, i hate jackson pollack... hes the worst offender.. i didnt' get his art no matter what artsy hipsters who can't draw tell you..

i even watched a movie biography on him... and he still sucked.. he literally just splattered paint...

abstract art is for people who can't paint so they try to find a shortcut and be rich

at least thats my take

13. The Following User Says Thank You to riceface For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 516 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Remember, folks....

Once upon a time I didn't think that Barry Windsor Smith was that much of a drawer or that Manet was that much of a painter. I got over it.

Jovian M is offline HOW MANY PUSH-UPS CAN YOU DO? Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And portrait artists are just meat cameras. And figurative artists are just machines cranking out information with no soul behind them. Herp derp.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jovian M For This Useful Post:

bhanu is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    meat cameras.
    they use to be called face painters.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by riceface View Post
    i agree with u whole heartedly, i hate jackson pollack... hes the worst offender.. i didnt' get his art no matter what artsy hipsters who can't draw tell you..
    i even watched a movie biography on him... and he still sucked.. he literally just splattered paint...
    abstract art is for people who can't paint so they try to find a shortcut and be rich at least thats my take
    I feel so happy that someone actually shares my view!
    The statement in bold above = FTW

Quote Originally Posted by Jovian M View Post
    And portrait artists are just meat cameras. And figurative artists are just machines cranking out information with no soul behind them. Herp derp.
    No no no....portrait drawing is a big challenge just to get the likeness, and figurative drawing is even a bigger challenge because of the complexity of the human form. I've always greatly admired anyone who can draw portraits or figures.

For abstract art, though, all you need is a big white canvas, 5 pails of different colored paint and a big brush. Dip the brush into the 5 paints and flick them all over the canvas. When done, use your feet to smear everything up. Or get the cat to do the job. Frame it. Abstract "art", done. Laugh all the way to the bank with the US$500,000 you got from the art museum.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

For abstract art, though, all you need is a big white canvas, 5 pails of different colored paint and a big brush. Dip the brush into the 5 paints and flick them all over the canvas. When done, use your feet to smear everything up. Or get the cat to do the job. Frame it. Abstract "art", done. Laugh all the way to the bank with the US$500,000 you got from the art museum.

Alright, you go ahead and do that, and come back and tell us about the half million you just made by "splattering" paint. Tell us how easy it was.

Wow, if you were this shallow about abstract art, I'd hate to see how shallow you are about other things.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to DanialGlover For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I sincerely doubt that the point of this thread was to create a bashing on abstract art and it's qualities.

Maybe people could put aside their prejudices and stop derailing this thread?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Elisabet Y.A. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

No no no....portrait drawing is a big challenge just to get the likeness, and figurative drawing is even a bigger challenge because of the complexity of the human form. I've always greatly admired anyone who can draw portraits or figures.

You do kind off have a point, I do think abstract art does lack skill, but it's not as easy as you think to make £500k from a painting, you have to be able to get yourself into the business and try and approach from a new angle, that's how most abstract painters get famous, trying something new, even though it lacks skill.

I do think it's pathetic when people pay £500k for a bit of paint splattered on a canvas, when we have people living in shelters and dying because they can't afford treatment or a heart transplants.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to lukey120292 For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Careful there. People judge you by the company you keep.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's a house of cards really.

Basically you get the people who were bored with the establishment, trying to do something new, trying out different things with probably an honest intent, inadvertently promoting poor draftmanship and devaluation of the art before them.

Then you'd have the real con artists/ art investors without morals, looking for new stuff to invest in, not regulated by the government, such as the drug trade, the arms trade and the art trade. Who crafted a non existent movement around these new artists because the old art was all stocked up into collections and couldn't be manipulated as easily in value as they could with new art. They try and influence collectors, media, and important figure heads as well as art institutions as to create a community, rather than it being a sceme by a single person or group of people with a vested interest.

Then you had a third class of people, the hippy/too open minded people. People who have trouble differentiating shite from quality and think that every human being is special in their own little way and sometimes those people chance into money, thus buying into the lie the second group created. Adding to the lie that there is an actual global interest(read an actual source of money) to be gained by making this type of art. This spawns more artists of the first group and a movement is created.

In much the same way a religion would be made.
    After all the money and interest is gathered, they start adding all the theory and background to the patches of bullshit they used to create the web of lies.
    This to draw in people who would normally just use common sense and discard it at first sight. And make them see this entire scene as a valid business opportunity to take advantage from. (Best example being Picasso) Or to make them doubt their common sense and try and see logic where there is none.

Because the old art was mostly locked up in private collections or museums, moneywhores had to invent something new to exploit others, and thus modern art was born.

And now we're basically at a stalemate in the modern art market, due to the crisis, new investors are actually thinking about their purchase before buying(imagine that, thinking before spending a few million dollars, the insanity.) Meaning they only go for brandnames.
    Those brandnames are either massproducing which investors dislike since it lowers their investment price if the artist has an entire atelier of artists mass producing stuff around the clock, or already held up in private collections of art sellers and being artificially risen in price due to "shortages" or faking demand, which the new investors also dislike if they find out(the diamond studded skull, etc.)

Most critics also invested their reputation into promoting modern art, so telling the truth even once would probably ruin their career. Hence why, with a little bit of luck, you might see one or two people speaking their mind if they're retired or if they're just sick of the entire art scene.

Seeing as how sloth(decay of draftmanship), apathy and greed are ultimately bad motivators for humanity, something which all overly openminded people seem to agree upon, I don't get why you all still cling to modern art as a necessity for contemporary civilisation. As that's exactly what it promotes.

Then again, one phrase written on a wall a few years ago got me thinking, "society gets the art it deserves."

And looking at the current state of affairs, I don't know if humanity really deserves honest, hard working artists anymore, as a lesser, pseudo intellectual con artist will do just fine.

And Elwell, knowing the people who are judging lessens the worry by quite a lot, no?

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Hyskoa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DanialGlover View Post
    Alright, you go ahead and do that, and come back and tell us about the half million you just made by "splattering" paint. Tell us how easy it was.
    Wow, if you were this shallow about abstract art, I'd hate to see how shallow you are about other things.
    The thing is: if you were to bring two pieces of work, one being an average-quality figurative drawing, and one being a piece of abstract art, and show them to the layman, the layman will tell you that the former is art and the latter is <insert any negative word here>.

Since I was a kid, I always have a very negative view towards abstract paintings. And it is partly due to abstract paintings that has kept me from going into drawing, because I was more simple-minded back then, and thought that in order to even get into art, you need to do abstract paintings as part of your work.

I know this is going to offend some folks, but abstract paintings conveys a strong sense of pretentiousness in it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ah hell!

Everyone knows that real art, nowadays, involves the plastic injected flayed corpses of Asian folk whose families couldn't afford to recover their bodies for a proper burial. . .

You know: posed for all eternity playing with a soccer ball or demonstrating the 'adverse consequences to health' of being hit by a 7.62 mm bullet for criticizing certain governments.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. This is why one of the first things that comes out of my mouth to students is, "There is a difference between what you like and what works or is good. If you don't like something it's not automatically bad or pretentious. Please never be one of those who goes to gallery and utters the words 'my five year old could have done that'. Learn from it, try to understand it in the context of history but keep an open mind. Isn't that the artists' cry. Keep an open mind. You may never like it but maybe with a little brainwork you can understand it." If it weren't for those Impressionists, Fauvists, Futurists, and especially Abstract Expressionists You might not be doing what you're doing now. You might even live in a fascist police state when it comes to art. As much as you might like academic drawing and painting would you be happy if that was all you were permitted to do? Give some credit to those who broke ground before you. I usually don't get involved in these ignorant rants about evil abstract art. I guess the dam just broke.

By the way I apologize to 2100 for being a part of hijacking this thread. It is actually an interesting article. But I guess I had to don my super hero fight against ignorance.

http://billcarman.blogspot.com

Last edited by bcarman; February 8th, 2010 at 10:11 AM. Reason: more

33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bcarman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The thing is: if you were to bring two pieces of work, one being an average-quality figurative drawing, and one being a piece of abstract art, and show them to the layman, the layman will tell you that the former is art and the latter is <insert any negative word here>.

Since I was a kid, I always have a very negative view towards abstract paintings. And it is partly due to abstract paintings that has kept me from going into drawing, because I was more simple-minded back then, and thought that in order to even get into art, you need to do abstract paintings as part of your work.

I know this is going to offend some folks, but abstract paintings conveys a strong sense of pretentiousness in it.

Thats a very shallow and ignorant way of thinking. Modern art is like everything else, there is brilliant work and there is crap and everything in between. Keep an open mind and learn from the good abstract art, yes it does exist.

The best artists are the ones who can appreciate everything and have an open mind.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.