Sketchbook: Newbie artist-wanna-learn-to-be-one's sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Newbie artist-wanna-learn-to-be-one's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Newbie artist-wanna-learn-to-be-one's sketchbook

Hey everyone,

Like the title says, I'm a newbie artist... I'm trying to learn to become better so any kind of critique is welcome, even if you feel like saying I suck (which I already know, my stuff has nothing on the stuff you guys @ ConceptArt.org show) but I'm aiming to get better

Well here are a few sketches I've made and hopefully you guys can tell me where I should improve. Aside from these ones, I already posted a few older sketches on DeviantArt...

So ya, please let me know where I can improve or what I should do to improve! Tips, tricks, comments... all are welcome

Thanks

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

kingkostas is offline Train to help world with art someday...
    Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,157 Times in 1,961 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome to CA mate.As long as you keep up dont ever thing you suck.
    Anyway while i find a very advantage point that you have clean lines of course now we have to build the anatomy.

http://fineart.sk/index.php?cat=1

start observing some way of body construction(check the proportions(how bigger is the head in relation with the other body parts, how bigger is the ...in...blablabla)
    Dont forget the thing about understanding in 3d.So maybe do some simple training doing a series of "3d" objects.For example draw a wireframe sphere,cylinder etc.(simple but powerfull)

here also a paintover
    keep up mate, lets see your journey

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I posted this in another thread, but think it will help you too (concerning the thread you made asking how to improve):

"1. What would be the most productive way of getting started? Should I just practice my drawing skills? Experiment with painting in Photoshop? Any past experience of learning you could share?
    2. I just can't get the whole brushing part down. Whenever I play around, nothing flows. It's always solid, blocky and flat. Any advice or settings I should be using?
    3. Are there any helpful resources and tutorials you would recommend?
    4. Any advice in general for digital speed painting?"

1: There really isn't any secret to what you should do to start, just go for it and practice. It's all practice and the time you spend drawing, and I think that's been proven multiple times on this site through the progress many people have made that is documented in their sketchbooks.
    You definitely want to get your drawing skills up to par because thats really the foundation, and I would recommend doing black and white as well as value studies before getting too hardcore into color. Do both, but make sure you practice value because you can't really do great work in color without understanding the form and value behind it. You should really be drawing/painting from life, doing photo studies, master studies, self portraits, head and figure drawing, and anatomy studies, which are all great ways to go and its good to get a balance of all those if possible.
    2. Don't worry too much about brushes at first, using a hard round brush with pen pressure set to opacity (assuming you have a tablet) is a good basic way to go. I really don't use much else although I still have tons to learn.
    3. If you haven't already you need to download some of these Andrew Loomis books, they're great for getting started, and just great overall.
    http://www.placidchaos.com/AM/index..../andrew_loomis
    I'd definitely recommend Figure Drawing For All It's Worth, as well as the one on head and hands. But the figure drawing one will give you a good structure on the body and anatomy which will really help you out. Bridgeman is also really good, I know a lot of people like Hogarth, or just any quality anatomy book you can look at reviews for on amazon.
    4. Speed painting is essentially just getting comfortable with the digital medium and painting loosely. Just work loosely, don't get caught up in the details, focus on value/composition/gesture, and work zoomed out. I'm still trying to get better at this because its a weak point of mine.

Just remember man, the BIGGEST thing is practice. It doesn't matter how naturally talented you consider yourself to be, or even not to be, anyone can become great if they work hard enough. You just have to ask yourself how dedicated are you, and how much time you can devote to art. You just have to work harder than the guy next to you.
    Also check out the Crimson Dagger art group if you haven't yet, it's awesome.
    __________________________________________________ _______

Hope that helps, but yeah, I'd highly recommend those books listed above to help you understand the form of the human body, face, and anything else.
    You definitely want to do studies and draw from reference to increase your visual library which I think you should do, if you get too caught up in things from your head your knowledge won't really increase.
    Don't get discouraged, these things take a lot of time. But remember, the more you work, the better you'll get. How fast you want to improve is proportional to how much time you put in.
    Keep working at it and try to think of the forms as 3d shapes. Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, time for an update...

Thanks you 2 for posting in my sketchbook and for giving tips
    Just a question tho... should i practice with pen+paper or should i directly go with photoshop+tablet... I do have a tablet but it's a Wacom Bamboo Fun, unfortunately, being jobless, I can't afford a new bigger one atm :c

anyways, I'm just gonna post a few practice sketches which turned out "OK" and weren't garbaged...

Please critic (you can be harsh, it's alright )

Practicing shading

2 Characters with "shading"...

And a bunch of random sketches i did using Posemaniacs.com 90sec drawing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Upon practicing alot during the past few days, I worked on this pic and I think it turned out like i imagined it... It's all done from imagination, no reference or anything, so I'm happy with the result!

All sorts of comments are welcome I still need to improve... ALOT!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey!
    Thx for visiting my SB.
    I think you need to practice anatomy more. Doing 30 sec poses in posemaniac for warm up (like 10 poses after each other) is good for me, i get into shape and it helps me to pay attention on what i'll draw later on.
    Practice and upload as much as you can, you can see your improvements and it helps you to keep practicing (well, it does for me )

Nlete

{I know you want to click -----> !(MY)HERE(SB)! <----- kcilc ot tnaw uoy wonk I}

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good to see the work so far!

I totally agree with untouched24, foundations and practice are the most important things! I try to do at least an hour every day, and it usually turns into more than that. but for at least 1h i force myself to draw, even if I don't want to.

loomis books are great, and there's a few other ones (anything by burne hogarth for anatomy if you can get used to his style, "drawing on the right side of the brain" for learning to see, that's what got me started). loomis is probably best tho, his enthusiasm is catching! they're out of print but most art blogs have links to his books online.

about the pencil vs tablet thing I'm gonna quote my art director: "that thing (tablet) is NOT for practice! this is! (holds up pencil)". the point he was making is that tablets make things too easy, and you tend to cover your mistakes rather than learning from them. I tended to do a lot of draw-undo-draw-undo-draw-undo, so instead of learning how to draw i just drew random things until i found one that happened to fit. pencils (throw away that eraser for now) are great that way because if you draw a line it stays there. then you can think about why it works or why it doesn't, and put more thought into the next line.

Personally life drawing helped me a lot, because it's very challenging. not sure about posemaniac, it's a 3D model without skin... i'm skeptical. if there's ever a posemaniac with real photos tho... let me know, that'll be awesome!

well this post is getting rather long, but your stuff reminds me a lot of my own stuff a while back

one last thing: your lines look very fractured, meaning you use a lot of small marks to make up what should be a single smooth curve. especially in anatomy you'll find everything is made up of pretty smooth curves, it's what makes it look alive and attractive (even in unattractive people). hogarth is great to look at for those, or a book called "Force" by michael d. mattesi if you can find it.

hope you don't mind reading all this, I'm condensing what I gathered during my first few months of seriously learning how to draw

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you can do it man, just keep practicing and you'll definitely improve.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.