Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Warrior Studio Shot WIP (redid head - again)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Waipunga View Post
    Comments on sword length are wrong? Quite probable, but then again I have only actually made and used over 4500 (yes four thousand five hundred) knives, swords and weapons in the last 16 years. LOL ............. good luck to you Mate, I wish you well.
    I don't challenge your experience, but you said "Another major consideration of sword design is that a blade should be able to be swung down from the radius of the shoulder, and if it misses the intended target, it will not touch the ground. This is in fact what determines the length of a foot soldiers sword. (The exception being the Heading sword.)".
    That pretty clearly means that no war swords would be longer than 100cm/40" and that simply isn't true.

If you can offer thoughts about the realistic sword concept that I posted(which I'm gonna use for some other character), I will welcome them - saying anything about the sword from manga is waste of time as I definitely won't change its design.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I really, really like the look of this, great work. I only have a few comments, the tone shadow of the bottom part of her face looks odd to me, and her right hand seems odd too. I do think she is a little skinny, more if you take into account that she is a warrior. Just some friendly comments, but I like this piece.

My barbarian and slave girl W.I.P. comments and crits are most welcome!!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter-NEST View Post
    I don't think your change is good.
    Still your leg shaping looks odd.

Thanks
    Hello! I wanted to say, as someone who has actually watched Claymore, that your painting looks great! I recognized her as a Claymore before you stated it, so you're doing a great job. I can't wait to see her finished!

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,022 Posts
    I don't think your change is good.
    Perhaps not, but you need to do something to fix that broken leg.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Perhaps not, but you need to do something to fix that broken leg.
    Yes, the thigh did look a bit weird. I tried to fix it in this new version.

I also did repaint her head to give it shading matching the rest of picture. It's only roughly done at the moment, but pls tell me what do you think about the overal look.

Thanks
    Please, comment. I want to get at least few critiques of the new shading before I start finalizing the face and hair.

Thanks
    You're doing beautiful work on this but you may have to excuse my knee-jerk reaction, but I would think that it makes sense to have her use both hands to hold the blade up due to it's weight and thickness. Those weapons are meant to be held with two hands whereas a weapon with a smaller blade imprint or lighter construct can be done with one hand such as a rapier.

What you could do is have her hold the blade in one arm and let it rest on the other forearm. For instance, she could use her right arm to rest it over the left arm's gauntlet, aiming to the enemy.

The footwork is important so that it is 'martial' in nature. Since I'm a fencer myself, my front feet is pointed straight while my back foot is pointed to the left in 90 degrees in an 'en garde' position (for right handers), while the right arm holds the blade up, pointing to the opponent's neck or face. EDIT: my back arm is, by the way, held up for balance purposes in a classical position, however today's modern sports fencing, they usually keep it down for reasons on speed and reaction.

Just my two cents.

In first post I wrote that she is a warrior from Claymore dark fantasy manga - her sword and armor is existing design that I can't change even though it has obvious flaws. I did do a concept of realistic two-hander, based on swords used by German Landknechts in 16th century.

Your statement about sword length is wrong though, only 1-and-half handed swords are only so long as to not touch the ground. Longswords and two-handers are longer. Average Landsknecht's two-hander was 170cm/67" long, about same as the soldier was tall, and they were very valuable weapon in combat.

Thanks
    I tried to make painting of this character in more realistic pose here http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=183120, but I was taking flak both from realism crowd and manga fans and in the end I gave up.

Thanks
    I'm trying to give the face more defined shape... Eyebrows are missing at the moment.

Pretty please with sugar on, tell me what do you think about the new shading of face - the face is why I'm posting this...

Thanks
    I refined shading on face, added eyebrows and changed leather to be a bit less bright.
    I tried to reduce hard edges on face to give her a bit less harsh/younger look.

Thanks

Problem - skin looking like clay

No matter what I do, skin on my paintings (this being the best example) doesn't look like skin much, more like clay. I tried to add hilights, but it starts to look like wet clay or porcelain. Any suggestions? I'm painting it without reference, so I'm unsure what is actually wrong with it.

Thanks
    I think you need to research the colors of the face a bit more.

If I remember correctly the forehead area tends to be more yellow, the cheeks more red and the chin more blue... and all of it work well with a green under painting.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast