Art: Animation Final Project Concept Art

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Animation Final Project Concept Art

I've got a solid idea for my animation final, so I whipped up some concept art for the central antagonist of the short; The Bogeyman.

I went a little overboard, especially since I only intend to use the hand design, but I want to attract people to this project.

At any rate, give me your honest opinions, please.

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I really like the concept in general, I mean the character design is pretty damn baddass man!!

BUT

your anatamy needs work. You say you only intend to use the hand in your animation correct? Well your hand proportions are way off, you need to perfect the anatomy of your hand before you can animate it.

I suggest getting hand references of all the gestures you want to use and drawing them until they're perfect.

I really like the concept though, with practice it could be pretty fuckin amazing =)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Killasandra View Post
    I really like the concept in general, I mean the character design is pretty damn baddass man!!

BUT

your anatamy needs work. You say you only intend to use the hand in your animation correct? Well your hand proportions are way off, you need to perfect the anatomy of your hand before you can animate it.

I suggest getting hand references of all the gestures you want to use and drawing them until they're perfect.

I really like the concept though, with practice it could be pretty fuckin amazing =)
    Thanks for your input. Truth be told, after showing these to some people I know offline, I have gotten better responses from the two center images, so I'm thinking of using one of them instead. It would make the overall animation go smoother, and given the Bogeyman's actual anatomy underneath the "darkness" (he's essentially nothing more than a floating torso), he would move a lot more like a snake than anything else.

Thanks
    Agreed about the anatomy, but you also need to really work on your presentation; learn how to clean up and color your linework, because you don't do it justice when you just hit "fill" or use the magic wand tool. There are multiple tutorials around here, it takes no time at all and makes a huge difference in the quality of your work.
    Next, I suggest trying the redline technique when you draw digitally; set your brush to 50% or so and sketch out your lines before going in with your final black on another layer.

You can also find me here:
    My Portfolio
    DeviantART
    Sketchblog

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyxlated View Post
    Agreed about the anatomy, but you also need to really work on your presentation; learn how to clean up and color your linework, because you don't do it justice when you just hit "fill" or use the magic wand tool. There are multiple tutorials around here, it takes no time at all and makes a huge difference in the quality of your work.
    Next, I suggest trying the redline technique when you draw digitally; set your brush to 50% or so and sketch out your lines before going in with your final black on another layer.

Way ahead of you. I've been practicing that technique at home (I finally managed to get my own copy of Photoshop!). But due to the initial time constrains and everything I have to juggle at school, this is all I wound up getting done. That being said, I have actually gotten some cleaned up versions of these finished, but it keeps slipping my mind to post them here. Finals, huh?

Thanks
    Hahaha, I fully understand what its like in Art School. Everyone says that you need to improve this and touch up that, and yes they are right, but when the school gives you a deadline, and your goal to grad is to produce your demo reel, you can only spend so much time on things before it uses up time needed to finish the reel!

So anyway, looking at your designs, I think they are pretty sweet man. I actually thought that the 3 drawings were like an animatic in itself, like that first guy slowly morphing in to that dragon. That would have been sweet, but I know that would also take a WHOLE lot more time for your reel and I know how that is. But still would be cool. I like the first or second guy myself.

Also, you said this was for your animation final. Is it 3D or 3D? Well I had an interesting thought regarding him if you are doing 3D. Try and use a particle effect to make his costume eminate smoke or something, as if its not really clothes at all. Maybe in part, but it would blend in with the smoke pouring off him. I guess you could do that in 2D as well but it would be a lot of work animating that as well.

Either way, its a cool design and I hope it works out for you.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidspider View Post
    Hahaha, I fully understand what its like in Art School. Everyone says that you need to improve this and touch up that, and yes they are right, but when the school gives you a deadline, and your goal to grad is to produce your demo reel, you can only spend so much time on things before it uses up time needed to finish the reel!

So anyway, looking at your designs, I think they are pretty sweet man. I actually thought that the 3 drawings were like an animatic in itself, like that first guy slowly morphing in to that dragon. That would have been sweet, but I know that would also take a WHOLE lot more time for your reel and I know how that is. But still would be cool. I like the first or second guy myself.

Also, you said this was for your animation final. Is it 3D or 3D? Well I had an interesting thought regarding him if you are doing 3D. Try and use a particle effect to make his costume eminate smoke or something, as if its not really clothes at all. Maybe in part, but it would blend in with the smoke pouring off him. I guess you could do that in 2D as well but it would be a lot of work animating that as well.

Either way, its a cool design and I hope it works out for you.
    I've actually got a rough animatic of the hand stalking the victim, but given the responses I've been getting, I'm going to swap that out for his "Human" form, which would actually be a lot easier to string along.

I don't know which style of animation to use at the moment. My portfolio instructor said that this might be better suited for 2D rather than 3D, as I had planned. But given how... "out there" my designs can get, 3D would make everything a lot easier since my characters wouldn't have to be constantly redrawn.

I was actually thinking the very same thing. I could make his "cloak" a very basic cylinder that would emit some cloud particles from it's surface.

Thanks
    Hmm, I think either way it will be difficult. Depends on how much knowledge you have. 3D can be tricky in regards to the software working the way you want, and rendering time and such. Is this a high school project? I'm surprised you have a choice for your end reel. Most post secondary schools make you choose one or the other.

Also.. looking at your characters there, I dig pretty much what you are going for, but not so sure about the flaming arms. Might be a bit too much. Perhaps making those flaming arms part of his torso costume? like greaves or something? Thats just a personal thought, you do what you like tho.

Thanks
    @James: What link?

@Liquidspider: Just for clarification, the black is the closest thing to actual fire in his design, and even then it's just "darkness". If you're talking about his arms in the later forms, that isn't fire, it's hair. The Hybrid form would essentially just be three geos on each arm with small spines in each geo to allow them to writhe around. And by the time he reaches beast, the hair has completely covered the forearms, so bye-bye hair spines.

Thanks
    I don´t like it, because is like a Tim Burton movie, the only thing that catch my attention was the little skull.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DieHard View Post
    I don´t like it, because is like a Tim Burton movie, the only thing that catch my attention was the little skull.
    Well, at least my watermark is good.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.