Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Art career in question by others

Thanks

Art career in question by others

So the other day I had a meeting with some of my schools advisers and I told the lady that I wanted to be a Concept Artist, But for some reason that didn't seem to work for then, like they didn't take it seriously and keeped pushing for something else. Now one of my teachers knows that I like hands on stuff, I could never been a paper pusher, and art is a hands on thing. But they keep saying that I should go to Sno-isle (its a school that trains you for the specific job and they don't have an art one) and do welding or something. And I feel like they don't see being a Concept artist as a legit career/job. I am also not sure if they think that its like that weird paintings that get splashed around or not, But has anyone else ever gone through something like this? I feel kind of insulted that they think that going to this "sno-isle" is the thing everyone should do.

On the other hand I shouldn't worry about what others think as long as I do what I need to do to get me to where I want to go
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Yeah, actually, I had the same speech when I was in school like over 9000 years ago.

Let me share a little nugget of wisdom with you. Be truthful with yourself and if you want to do something bad enough, then do it and be damned what others think is right for you. However, there is a small bit of discretion that should be given with that bit of advice. Don't sacrifice your dreams in the name of "what everyone else thinks is right for you."

When I was 17-18, all I wanted to do was draw comics and do art and make enough to pay the bills/be happy/create cool shit. I wanted it really badly, despite the protests from my parents and so called "career advisors". The problem was that I personally wanted it so bad that I didn't listen to sound advice, like studying traditional techniques, etc. (side note: I am listening to Pandora right now and "My way" from Elvis came on, how fitting).

So now I am in my thirties and after allowing myself to be defeated by the words "I can't" all in my twenties and settled for a career that I despise I am back on the goal that I set out on when I was 17-18. So yeah, my crusty old man advice is pursue your dreams, study hard, be a good person, and good shit will happen to you.

(I apologize about being preachy/ranting, was typing a stream of consciousness)

Thanks
    People will dislike you for chasing childish dreams. After your success people will dislike you because they are ordinary and you are not.

5. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Taneli For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Yeah, I went through that.
    In my highschool careers class I wasn't allowed to research "illustrator" or "concept artist" because those were not job titles in the "career search binder" -- the closest thing to art the inch thick book of photocopies had was to work at a framing store. Lots of arguing with that teacher followed.

Don't let them stress you out too much.

Thanks
    NovocaineHeartString - Thanks for that info. I know that I can make it as an artist, and i'll be damned if I let other people say I can't. To bad you didn't stick with it when you wanted to, but its never to late right? I don't think I could do something I despise, hell I am 18 right now and have yet to have a job (Changing soon hopefully) I have yet to tell my parents cause it does as Taneli said seem like a "childish dreams." I have also been teaching my nephews how to draw and that if they get good enough they can get paid to draw.
    Taneli - Your right people will dislike other people for "chasing childish dreams" and while they are stuck doing something that most likly hate or strongly dislike I will be creating awesome stuff, not working (in a sense that "fine something you love and you'll never work a day in your like")
    Kennygeeze - lol even my career teacher I don't think took mine serious either, there is no info on being a Concept artist or anything in that related field, I've had to do all the research on my own time. I can't even imagine what I would be doing had I not found CA.org. Though I still have not found very much info in books or the internet, only CA.org. Don't worry, they won't derail me

Thanks
    Tanelli is so right, don`t expect people to take you seriously, I never did, and now that they see my stuff and the fact that I have a career doing this they all shut up, and I pity anyone that questions what I do, I think they are just square headed slaves of what they were told, that will get old one day and realize they never reached their dreams, they never did what they REALLY wanted to do, that`s sad.
    The Light and Dark Arts of Cristian Saksida
    Portfolio:http://www.chrissaksida.com
    Blog:http://cristiansaksidaarts.blogspot.com
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/crissaksida

Thanks
    Yes, you should pursue your dream. You should also have a backup plan/job. You're going to have to keep busting ass on your art for at least a few years before you make any money from it, so you'll have to find a way to live until then.

Also, keep your eyes and your mind open, because the world of the arts is an awfully big place, and you might find other cool creative jobs out there, or your work might take an unexpected direction.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mickeymao For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Same boat here. When I got out of school I went to uni just because that's what was done - I wanted to do art but just didn't think it was realistic. Fast forward 5 years and I was sick and tired of working in a bank. Fast forward two more years and I'm a full time concept artist.

It's definitely nice having a backup plan as mickeymao says, I can go back to banking or marketing whenever I want in case things turn sour. But don't let your backup plan get in the way of your dream.

Thanks
    Pursue whatever it is you want to do. And don't stop until you've achieved every aspect of it.

There is no point to dreams if you're going to do all that work only to settle for something less. Even if you never complete everything it is you want to do, you will be able to finish your life knowing you gave it a really damn good try.

The beauty of being right is that you don't have to bother explaining it to other people. All you have to do is continue living, and the truth presents itself all on its own.

Thanks
    "And I feel like they don't see being a Concept artist as a legit career/job."

It's not in the eyes of older generations. They wouldn't know how many variations of the same stupid nano-suit art directors go through before bringing you the final game character.....They don't play videogames either.

But in their ignorance they are still right... Get an education you can rely on to support your lifestyle monetarily, and then invest yourself in art parallel to that.

The field of concept art is more competition than the industry projects themselves are worth. It seems like a hard to get into glorified art factory job, because these are certainly not the people who come up with the projects or will get any recognition by the end of it, they are simply in the production conveyor belt that is in place only because the art director doesn't have anough time to draw what's in his mind him/herself.
    I'm not trying to discourage you here, interpreting someone else's vision is a nice job if you're not longing for anything more. But first, it's mighty worth securing yourself with a skill set that society actually depends on and hires easier.
    Last edited by Kraus; February 4th, 2010 at 08:30 PM.

Thanks
    Well for the mean time I am hopefully gonna get a job at Home Depot at night, and that will probably be what I work at while doing school and art. I am also at the stage of my drawings where my studies are pretty good (for the most part(to me anyways)) and my creative stuff is kinda of crappy unless I am using a ref, which isn't that bad I guess. I almost 100% not going to a uni or CC (looked at their coarses for art, and they all suck. So I think that I will probably just work and save money(I live with my mom) to buy art supplies, books, and random stuff. And the whole being a slave to what people tell them, So true, like people want to go to college but I don't see the point if you don't like/know about that career field and the debt that you would have wow that is a lot of money and the way the economy is right now that would be like the worst thing ever (not literally). And I'm not so sure why I care so much about other people not liking what I want to be, maybe cause the only thing that I have been told for the last (almost) 4 years of my life is "YOU HAVE TO GO TO COLLEGE AND BECOME A BUSINESS PERSON" or something to that extent and then I get into art class (art 1) and I'm like :o I want to be an artist, its the one thing in my life that has been there for as long as I can remember and I had been on CA.org for the last half a school year (I would read it during graphic arts) and I wanted to be doing the same kind of things these people were doing. i'm glad I've never has my art laughed at (when it wasn't suppose to be funny) or that would have been horrible.

I sometimes feel like teachers are highered by the companies to say this stuff to use that we need to go to college and that we have to work in an office and that we have to buy home and buy cars and that will make us happy because everyone knows being 50K in debt and a job you don't like is the life we all want. And one of my advisors even said him self that he knows I would never be a paper pusher. And the career tests they have are shitty, cause my score was to but out in nature (like park ranger) or be an industrial something. Anyways sorry for that rant lol

Thanks
    Thanked 4,906 Times in 2,547 Posts
    Maybe this will help: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=174079

Print that out and ask to have another meeting with them.

You may or may not end up with a career as a concept artist but it is worth shooting for. There are plenty of great opportunities and careers for visual artists in today's world. Virtually everything manufactured or constructed starts with an artist or team of artists visualizing the product, building, vehicle, etc.

The recent blockbuster "Avatar" (now the highest grossing film of all time) employed hundreds, if not thousands of visual artists...and maybe ten primary actors and a bunch of secondary extras.

If that doesn't help maybe this will: http://www.artnews.com/issues/article.asp?art_id=1520

If none of the above helps have them call me.
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks

Thumbs up

That was an earth-shattering statement, Taneli!
    Holy god.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast