Concept Art Education or Illustration Education?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lightbulb Concept Art Education or Illustration Education?

(this may belong in the art education forums)

I was wondering (because I'd like to do the concept art school next year), would training in illustration be more useful overall than training in concept art? I mean, I know they cross over in some areas, but concept art training seems much more specific to subject matter to me, and yet I know that many people trained in illustration become concept artists. But if you're trained as a concept artist, would you be likely to have that same success doing, say, editorial illustration work?

And I know that this is a difficult question and depends on the individual, but I'm just curious to see what you all think of this question.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I studied illustration in a degree program and I recall 'editorial illustration' (one of the largest topics we covered vs other forms of illustration during the 4 years) was the most difficult for a lot of people in the program to grasp.

It takes a bit more thinking than just doing literal imagery... like if the article you're illustrating is on computer networking -- if all you draw is two computers attached then you're probably doing it wrong (that would just be clipart). It takes a while to learn how to take an idea and then create a clever image that becomes an instant read on that idea.

With that said I took my illustration education and now I do art for movies... but other people from my program went on to do editorial.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,670 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's going to totally depend on the school and the individual program. Remember that, prior to the last few years, there was no such thing as a "concept art education," and the number of specialized programs is still very few. Some illustration programs, even some fine arts programs, are well equipped to give you the sort of training you'd need for working in films or games, others, absolutely not. Also, remember that what you think you want to do now, what you decide you want to do if and when you are in school, and what you end up doing may be totally different things.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 2