Thanks

"My Hands are giving up", get some of these!

I've been sitting a lot drawing for a deadline lately, and my hands and arms started to ache and hurt. Problem is I've got another deadline coming up so i can't rest my precious limbs .
    So I went to a rehab/medical equipment shop, got some help and bought these.

And it seems to help. Expensive stuff, but the reason I posted this thread is because I guess I'm ot the only one on this board "in the danger zone". I'd recommend an invest in stuff like those. And you look cool as well (I use them even when I'm not in front of the comp, just because it feels good).

The brown one (keyboard hand)just supports the hand, the black one (wacom pen hand) has hard plastic underneath the hand, and a bit softer plastic on the top, preventing me from moving the hand in the most "extreme" positions, bit still allowing me to use the pen.
    My work as a tattooer www.gallontattoos.wordpress.com

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    This is just the delay of execution.

If you have aches and don't rest, risk to be out of business for months or years. Seen it happen!
    Power is nothing without intelligence.

Sketchbook!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Erik's absolutely right. A professor of mine got Carpaltunnel (spelling?) and not only can it put you out of commission but you can greatly affect your will get back in the game so to speak. He told me that whenever he went to pick up a pencil after he had gotten over the worst of it, the fear of the aches and stiffness stopped him from doing anything. I imagine it's the worst possible medical problem an artist could have...well, aside from blindness that is.

Thanks
    Erik and Exo are right. This won't solve anything, just delay it. I suggest that you try mixing it up and using a tablet instead of a mouse, or getting a trackball to change you working method. Also try to keep the keyboard and mouse below your elbow level. I find that this is the most comfortable position and it keeps the blood from draining out of your hands and giving you that dead numb feel. Bleh:barf:

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Thanks
    Thanked 1,218 Times in 254 Posts
    there is actually wrist exercise you can do every day to prevent carpal tunnel.

basicly you put your hand out straight with fingers touching
    then curl your fingers down into a fist, then pull your wrist inward, bring back, and unfist.

do this like 10-15 times before or after a long computer session.

Thanks
    Hmm, that's actually pretty good. I think its mostly that is brings circulation back into your hands.

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Thanks
    as a tattooer, i learned that the best way to avoid injury due to repetetive wrist movements is to lift weights. work both arms and chest. just working on your wrists and hands will hurt you more. you've got to work your whole arm to release the strain on your wrists and give your wrists a rest. sounds kinda ridiculous, but working your arms will help your wrists, trust me. if you just concentrate on you wrists and hands you will end up in the hospital and out of work.
    My Sketchbook

check out the website:

ten30one studios

Thanks
    Mmh, this is sounding more and more scary... maybe I just should go see a doctor to get some help wih this (before it's getting a really serious issue).

any more tips you could do to help with this is greatly appreiciated (exercises and so on).

*edit* ClocktowerArtworks, I think I'll have to start to work out then. I thought about just trying to work the wrist muscles, now I have changed my mind, thanx

Thanx for the input guys
    Last edited by gallon; February 7th, 2004 at 12:09 PM.

Thanks
    Excercises like Davi's do really help as does working out and fitness. But you also need to listen to your body - pain is not there for nothing.

Sketchbook!

Thanks
    mmh, I have tried to stay off the computer for as long as possible, even if it's gonna drag down the quality of work (real close deadline now ..;(

I also talked with a friend of my father who had the same problem, he was away from work for 9 months and still can't work as he used to.

I've been thinking about other ways to work, but I already use a tablet, One thing could be to buy a much bigger tablet, and then I'll have to change the way I draw. I guess first step of all is to go see a doctor speciallized in these kind of problems, and buy all the ergonomic stuff I can to the computer...

Oaah, this is giving me panic... not be able to draw as I wish... that is my idea of hell.
    Thanx guys for the input (and if anyone got the quick-fix to this problem, give it to me

Thanks
    http://www.workpace.nl/ Programs such as this can guide you in your work and intensity.

It can be prevented, just listen to your body and don't ask too much of it: deadlines should be occasional, not regular ;-)
    (i wish!)

Sketchbook!

Thanks
    trackball beats mouse as far as comfort goes. i only use mouse for few things anymore. my wrist feels better with it, i think it's also cuz of the wrist pad. i'd say worth getting.

Thanks
    suggestion: if you do start to work out and you do any sort of push-ups, i suggest doing them on your knuckles. like... monkey style. make a fist and do them that way. oh yeah, and don't do it on gravel or hardwood floors until you've built up insande meat tenderiser knuckles. an added benefit of this is it makes you look like you could kill someone with your bare hands... fuckin scary knuckles.

also, when you're benching or incline lifting, military press, whatever, don't let your wrist slump. keep your hand straight. it shou8ld be a straight line from your elbow to your knuckles... sorta.hope that helps.
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒