Art: Help from CA.org community...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Help from CA.org community...

Hey y'all

I'm creating this thread to ask you guys how can I improve my drawing skills... I drew alot at childhood, on my desk, on paper and stuff, never took any drawing class at all. I stopped drawing for a long time since people around me thought it was a waste of time and I'll never make money of it and such so not alot of motivation there, so I dropped it and went to a computer school which later on found out I don't wanna work as an IT... Anyways, I restarting drawing since Dec09 but the more I draw, the more I feel like I'm not improving at all. I feel I'm stuck in the same spot... I'm using references, but I keep drawing and losing my patience and that's leading to alot of ripped papers... I want to eventually work as a conceptual artist for video game companies...

The thing is... I WANT to improve, but the more I look at others work or try to draw, the more I cringe that I won't be able to draw that good or I just plainly suck at this...

Have you guys ever gone through a phase like this? If so how did you get over it?

Thanks alot

P.S.: Here's a link to my DeviantArt page so you guys can see my sucky artwork: http://tatoutik.deviantart.com/

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

kingkostas is offline Train to help world with art someday...
    Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,157 Times in 1,961 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i wish i had time to make a more proper answer but.

Ya i think we all start from that point.Just dont think you can't do it if you work hard, but if you dont work hard it will be difficult to increase your chances on reaching your goal.

So actually one simple thing will be to start a daily training and maybe upload it here on a sketchbook for people to help you with critiques and feedback.
    Just keep fighting for it if you love it mate , its hard but it will worth the time

Will be glad to see your artistic journey in the sketchbooks

(EDIT:ops i forgot to say about your works.Actually it seems like you have already built some skills, so i think if you work hard and focused you can reach faster your goals)[i like that you already have some clean lines, thats very important, now keep working cause i think you can do it)
    (EDIT:lol something more, actually try to become an active member of a community like this, because networking is important )
    see ya

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi kingkostas,

Thanks alot for replying and the vote of confidence

I also wanted to ask, what should my daily practice consist of? I've never done something like that before, but it sounds interesting and I'm willing to try that out.

Appreciate it

P.S.: Dude, your drawings/colorings in your sketchbook are crazy good!!! Are those sketches your daily practices?

Last edited by iSmack; February 1st, 2010 at 11:37 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd suggest if you can take some community college classes. They are pretty cheap and teach the basics just as well as the expensive art schools. And it will give you a chance to explore while practicing, especially if you find that its too hard to get yourself to practice without a real timeline. For instance I can teach myself things but long term, I do best when someone else gives me a deadline, so do what works best for you.

Don't ever listen to anyone who tells you learning art is a waste of time or you can't make money at it. Its a skill like any other, it takes years to learn but if you apply yourself you CAN make it a career. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just uneducated of the possibilies or isn't driven enough to get there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    TY Amber,

I'll try to find an art class thats given at a nearby college.
    I guess I'll start doodling here and there as a means of a daily practice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Accidental double-posting...

Last edited by iSmack; February 2nd, 2010 at 06:33 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dunno if ill be much help because i have kinda the same issue that you have or im just lazy =P. One thing you can do is trace stuff, yeah i know people say that tracing is "cheating" but its not. It gets your hand and arm used to pushing the lead around. Another thing i would recommend is to not get discouraged quickly when drawing. You might not have a very solid drawing at first but if you keep working on it ya never know how it might turn out.

I strongly recommend starting a sketchbook here, great people great critiques.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Like several have said. Get a sketchbook started here on CA. I did in in... 2005 ? -and haven´t regretted it not once. It is awesome. Beware, people are a little slow in the beginning to commenting and critiquing, but if you keep at it, and keep posting more and more will come.
    My take is not to trace. I have nothing against it, but I believe there are other ways to warm the arm up and push the lead around. I suggest doing what I didn´t! Lots of life drawing. Just simple objects from different views. A lighter, from above, side, other side, bottom, ect. I believe it will do good. That is a start.
    Also, check out this thread and do the exercises. One every second day or so. Just to keep it different and fun! Good luck!

Work hard, anything is possible. I know, I know, it’s a very cheesy response but it’s true. Hard work and dedication is the key to reach your dreams. -Bjørn Hurri

Website
    CA Sketchbook
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, thanks for the tips guys I'm open for any suggestions!
    I did start a sketchbook... lol it's horrible tho, haha!
    I'll look into the thread you linked Hive minD, Thank you, looks interesting!
    As for tracing, I used to try that but I can't learn someone else lines... you know, i wanna develop my own style... or maybe like Jason Chan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, thanks for the tips guys I'm open for any suggestions!
    I did start a sketchbook... lol it's horrible tho, haha!
    I'll look into the thread you linked Hive minD, Thank you, looks interesting!
    As for tracing, I used to try that but I can't learn someone else lines... you know, i wanna develop my own style... or maybe like Jason Chan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Same here, used to go through a cringe phase a while back as a result of burnout. =S
    My advice: well, since you already got the Ca.org sketchbook thread thing down... draw everyday. Both from life and imagination. Even if you work a fulltime job, make it a priority to draw something, at least one thing everyday. Like exercise or drinking water. Good art doesn't come without hard work.

While you draw, don't think about other artists and how you'll never be like them when you do this, you can become as good as them if you work hard enough.
    Even they had to start somewhere, and all of this doesn't come without long, hard work....... just think of all the reasons why you drew as a kid in the first place. What YOU like, what YOU observe, who YOU are...

In fact, you should look at mindcandyman's sketchbook for inspiration, starting from the first page .... he's come a long way. =)

I also recommend looking at Figure drawing for all it's worth by Andrew Loomis and George Bridgeman's Complete guide to drawing from life. Both are great in teaching you how to draw the figure from your head (and observation) and give you great explanations on anatomy.
    There should be a pdf or jpegs of Andrew Loomis' book floating up somewhere on the interwebs..

And more importantly, don't rip up your mistakes... keep them! Post them.
    That way you'll develop patience and learn how to finish your pieces and correct mistakes when you see them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's good to look at other peoples work to give you something to shoot for or aspire to but don't beat yourself up because you're not as good as they are...or think you will never be as good as they are. It takes years and years of hard work and dedication to get that good. I constantly see artists that I will never be as good as, and there will always be a shitload of people better than me, that's just the way it is...but that doesn't mean I will never be good enough to make a career out of it. Set small goals that you can attain, like drawing certain body parts/features over and over again until you can draw them from memory. Stick with it and practice/study...and I guarantee you will see improvement over time.

Last edited by neuroballistic; February 9th, 2010 at 02:39 AM.

SKETCHBOOK

PORTFOLIO

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the tips you guys Appreciate it a lot! Sorry I wasn't able to reply sooner, my weekend/week have been rather hectic, but I'll be getting back into drawing as soon as everything has settled down, which is soon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some random stuff:
    Come up with a planned progression, just like learning any other skill. Start off with the basics, like perspective, still life drawing, black and white charcoal drawing. Leave figure drawing, painting, Photoshop, and those things for later. Classes are always the best way to learn the basics, even if it's adult an education class once a week. This will help you avoid re-inventing the wheel. Always work from nature (reference). Nature will always be the most important teacher, ever. Copy from as many artists as you can. Traditional classical art education involves setting up an easel in a museum and copying the paintings of the old masters. You will learn a great deal if you continue this tradition in a modern way. You will improve with practice, but you have to be hungry. Keep striving to improve, because any artist who ever thinks his/her education is completed will soon be out of a job.

Just another old dog learning new tricks.
    My sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=158092
    My website
    http://www.drawhaus.com
    My environment concepts thread in the entertainment design section
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=180968

artwork for "the guard", a webcomic that I am illustrating
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...94#post3025594

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Feeling demotivated and frustrated every now and then is part of the journey. I constantly go through some periods where I feel exactly the same way as you. If you really have the passion for creating art you will find the strenght to pull yourself back together and keep going.
    Make sure that you understand clearly what skills a concept artist must have so you can practice effectively. One thing you'll defenitely want to do is take a small sketchbook with you when you go outside and sketch from observation as much as you can. This will do wonders for your drawing skills, believe me.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.