Theory of learning
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Theory of learning

Hey pros,

I'm J-P, young art student and i have been wondering, and trying to find answer, that how to learn differend things like Reilly method for example the best possible way,how to do things with best possible approach.. It's not now about how long it takes or what it takes i swear i WILL do it the best way when i know what is the best approach for learning things, whatever it takes. So as i haven't yet found the result, i come to here to ask the question.

My theories of learning of this are:

1: lets say that i want to learn Reilly method, and i wanna do it long way, i know bit of anatomy, and i wanna use it, i memorize things i have learned, body size comparsions and i make sketches with reilly method, i start by doing 6 line sketch of basic gesture of model, then i will check if body part sizes are right and also compared to other parts, no matter if it takes long. idea is that as you or i in this case, work 8 to 11 hours per day, will do as many sketches as possible. The process will get faster and faster and yet, flawless. in the end, after propadly few years, or couple years (no idea) if you work hard. Will you do sketches that can be done in 5 mins and have perfect gesture and body part sizes, giving you maximal infromation for greater works.

And when something goes wrong in sketch write on the sketch what went wrong, think how to fix the problem and make sure it wont happen again.

2:You will do very fast sketches, very much and after hours of working you will view though your sketches and think of things you have learned, but whats important is that you think ALL the time about your subject, about body part sizes and gestures the subject has, working constaintly and with maximal speed, and repeating same subject over and over again is proved the great way of learning of things, such as learning math for exam (note, from BOOK). Is same thing for art? i don't know, and i don't think so.

Theese are 2 ways that i have been thinking of, yet way 1 looks best for me, but i nearly surely know, that many disagree with me, i'm after all just and art student from collague, though in this profession, where you are, who you are does not matter its what you do and think.

Please, tell me your thoughts and theories, cause in my opinion, learning from sketches and books, researching is huge part of learning.

"work planned, is work half done"

-sorry for typos if there were some
    -Sorry if i were confusing x_x i often tend to be..

PS: i do have found few answers for theese questions, but they tend to be just too plain typical and just simply unfit.

-J-P

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The main principle i know is to find problem, solve and understand it.

Also I draw many little thumbnail like pictures on a4 sketchbook album, one over another until whole page is filled with them. This way I get many drawings and practice. But on the other side I've become blatant with long term drawings on page sizes like a3 and bigger.

Check out at awesome autodestruct's hints and tricks and his thumb war

Last edited by c0ffee; February 13th, 2010 at 03:45 PM.

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,883 Times in 2,355 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Best way to learn the Reilly method is study with someone who teaches it.
    jeff Watts Atelier or Glen Orbik or on the East Coast Jack Faragasso I'm sure there are others. Beyond that, it is hard to self diagnose something that is that complex.You can learn the six lines and planes and the string palette but the application across a wide variety of situations is hard to do on your own. It can be done but having someone who knows it is the best way to do it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pick a plan & start. See what works & what doesn't. Remove/modify parts that work and don't work.

You can't have a perfect plan from the outset. It's good to have a plan to guide you, but if you pay attention you will learn what works best for you and what doesn't. That way you learn through experience, which is the best type of learning in most cases. And that way you're not leaving the responsibility to some process.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like to take artist's work that I like, and then figure out why I like it. (composition, style, colors, subject, etc.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks everyone for posting your opinions, and sorry for not responding for them, i have had large project that took whole last week and now i'm pretty tired too.. heh
    well atleast its done..

I really like dpaint and doses opinions, but i mostly agree with dose, i indeed did already go for this, learning everything by myself, i got a plan and so far it has seemed to pay off. Few weeks ago before i had this plan and all i could make 10 studies of drapery per day hahah, now, i do same in 1 hour so i have to say. It has been progress, with the researching way of drawing (way 1). but as i have thought about how i should draw, i realized i should not only trust calculations, i should trust my eye more. And let my hand be free, to learn to use wrists, and release my mind into paper things have gotten more interesting. And i will upload this to my sketchbook.

Thanks for all your comments, i appreciate them and i will note them up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Please don't kill me, but... who's that Reilly?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Abelo View Post
    Please don't kill me, but... who's that Reilly?
    I think they're refering to this: http://www.dhfa.net/Artiststatement2.html

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=178582

This may help your understanding.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You wan't accuracy to go with that sepeed so you need to start slowly for the sake of accuracy.

I find that the more time I spend on doing studies/copies etc RIGHT and without rushing the more information I end up grasping, speed and accuracy cannot be achieved without a full grasp. The rest is motor memory hehehe!! to not have your arms do something you didn't have in mind that can also happen with over eager speed.

Think about all those bad guitar players.

Do it right or do it over, then when you get it you go faster.

Then there's great guitar players with incorrect habit's.

What set's them apart is that they Did it right(Perfectionists) and if it's not what they wan't they do it over and then faster. Bad guitar players don't have the dicipline.

Then there's golf. Go get a coach.

Last edited by George Abraham; February 18th, 2010 at 09:21 AM.
    ----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zaorr, thanks for your comment! this was great, i mean.
    I deeply agree with you, are you teacher? if not your wise person ^^

Sadly, at the moment i don't have accural coach, i am in art school but.. i sadly know everything they teach me already, i must finish this school, then i will find that coach. ^^

Mostly, books are my coaches for now ^^ thainks for your opinion, it is heard and known.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nah..

I know what to do, I just havn't done it to that extent yet.

I am a sloppy guitar player.

People throw around important questions around here that make you think and wake up a little though.

----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The first thing to learning is to learn how to learn

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.